PDA

View Full Version : Gods of the West?

littlebros
2007-08-18, 08:34 PM
We know that the Gods of the North are worshipped by standard "Knight and Dragons" fantasy people, the Gods of the South are worshipped by Oriental type people, what are the worshippers of the Gods of the West like? And (just for fun) what would the worshippers of the Gods of the East be like?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-08-18, 08:47 PM
The Gods of the West are Babylonian. D&D has several biblical/middle-eastern influences that rarely show, but many monsters like cyclopses and djinn (more Arabic, but it's roughly the same region) are drawn from it. Expect frequent human sacrifices and scantily clad priestesses. It's very possible that this will come up in a story arc involving Haley's and Elan's (and Nale's) fathers.

The Gods of the East were the Greek pantheon. Greek influence on D&D is much greater than the Babylonian influence, with monsters like hydras and centaurs. Unfortunately, they're all dead, so it's likely we won't see them come up in the story.

the mysterian
2007-08-19, 12:18 AM
the oracle is an example of a western worshipper i think. and the easterners have none to worship.

jamroar
2007-08-19, 12:28 AM
the oracle is an example of a western worshipper i think. and the easterners have none to worship.

Is there even a "East" at this point, since their gods didn't survive to participate in the recreation of the new world?

The Extinguisher
2007-08-19, 12:29 AM
Most likely, to the east is where the elves and goblins and such come from. Since the eastern gods where killed, they raised thier own.

the mysterian
2007-08-19, 12:41 AM
Is there even a "East" at this point, since their gods didn't survive to participate in the recreation of the new world?

east is a direction, not a place, so just head east in OOTS land and you get a bunch of athiests after a bit.

Gez
2007-08-19, 02:24 AM
Most likely, to the east is where the elves and goblins and such come from. Since the eastern gods where killed, they raised thier own.

It would make sense, true.

Pyrodragon
2007-08-19, 02:31 AM

I dunno about the elves but

In SOD it specifically says that Goblinoids had no home and had to live off the fringes of other Civilizations

Wolfman42666
2007-08-19, 05:44 AM
Well I'm no expert (being atheist) but I'm fairly sure you can worship dead gods and still gain considerable power as a cleric at least.

In Torment there was a cleric wondering the caverns leading to Trais and while it was never explicitly said he dropped lots of hints that he worshipped Aoskar God of portals who I'm fairy sure was killed and/or banished to the prison plane before the start of the game (by the lady of Pain).

There was also a priest of Aoskar in the alley of dangerous angels and Fell worshipped him as well.
So if there aren't any worshippers of the eastern gods then how could Shojo know of them, bearing in mind the gods swore themselves to secrecy.

Also to the mysterian: I'm sure the King of anywhere would disagree.

Also, also: I imagine the worshippers of the western gods have the "architercual motiffs" found in cliffport (since the giant never said were it was)
We'll know soon enough as girad's gate is on the western continent.

and the eastern worshippers probably have dark age style buildings since their gods are dead and all.
Opinions?

(alright but I still think the idea of worshipping dead gods has some merit, since, how else did Shojo know about them?)
(curses!:smallmad:)

Ancalagon
2007-08-19, 06:03 AM
Torment is not a good example since Sigil is the exception to anything and everything. What happens everywhere else in the multiverse is an entire different matter to what happens in Sigil. So, better leave Sigil and Torment completely out, the things are already complicated enough as they are now. ;)

Usually, if you pray to a dead or missing deity and you get a result/answer of any sort this is because some other deity (sometimes) secretly took over without telling those unknowing mortals.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-19, 03:24 PM
Remember, if they did have worshippers, then it's more like the Order would have known about them. It seems that the Eastern Gods are a big secret in the Ootsverse.

the mysterian
2007-08-19, 09:43 PM
the only reason shojo knew was somebody god or god servant told the scribbles (most likely answer) so im guessing eastners are a bunch of atheists, or just took to worshipping the other gods.

Grey Watcher
2007-08-19, 09:51 PM
Not sure what to expect out of the Gods of the West, but based on the few images of the planet Order of the Stick takes place on, I suspect that the area designated East is a conveniently placed ocean. So barring some merfolk or something, no one's worshipping anyone there.

doliemaster
2007-08-19, 10:47 PM
The east gods being dead really sucks for me, cause greek is the only mythology I have any real knowledge of, although I have some base knowledge of the norse mythos.