PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other An interesting Idea for a spell

Dieuoffire
2017-11-19, 11:46 PM
I had this Idea for a while, finally wrote it down. Please tell me what you think, and just as important, WHY?

Scry Drain
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 2, Wiz 2
Components: S, V, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Area: two 10 ft cubes / level
Duration: 24 hours

This spell does not actually prevent a scrying spell from observing but it does make the scrying rather limited. Every round that a divination (scrying) or similar effect is within or observing the area drains the power of the spell. The spell loses one effective caster level each round. The caster is aware of this drain. For example a level 11 wizard who cast clairvoyance viewing the area would have 10 rounds of scrying before the spell expired (10 rounds of draining caster level plus 10 rounds of duration would end the spell)

Material component 1 gp of lead

Thanks in advance

Knitifine
2017-11-20, 12:58 AM
This spell seems to be... completely useless.

Avigor
2017-11-20, 01:04 AM
So instead of blocking it, you're reducing the duration? This could work... especially if it also alerts the caster to scrying sensors the moment they enter the field, allowing them to alert everyone to stop and wait it out.

JoshuaZ
2017-11-20, 09:33 AM
Given the low utility it should probably be level 1 and the material component should maybe be some lead dust that costs less than 1 gp, so it doesn't need to be kept track of. Also, a 1 hour casting time is way too long- I understand not wanting it to be used too fast in response to scrying if one wants to make it so it is set up before hand, so why not just make the casting time 1 minute?

Finally, is there a reason this is on the wizard list and not the sorcerer list?

jqavins
2017-11-20, 11:16 AM
What gap are you trying to fill with it? In what way is it preferable to a scry blocker?

When you say "The caster is aware of this drain," which caster are you referring to? Is it the caster of Scry Drain who's aware that her spell is impeding a scrying attempt, or the scryer who is aware that he is being impeded?

One hour prep for a 24 hour effect seems like a really long time. As Joshua Z pointed out, a one minute casting time is sufficient to keep it from being used as a rapid response. On the other hand, if you want it to take an hour to prepare for flavor reasons then I'd make the duration 24 hours per level.

Dieuoffire
2017-11-20, 09:28 PM
I am of the opinion that scrying is incredibly useful. and easy to get even at lower level (through items wand of scry with 5 charges is very cheap, as is a wand of Clairvoyance).

here is a thread I put out a while ago

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?539357-Security-in-a-world-of-scry-and-die-for-the-general-public

Anyway the idea is that, given time, it should be easy to hamper scrying. it should also be easy to make something more permanent with time to prepare. According to Item creation a permanent Item of this would be relatively cheap. the duration of 24 hours makes is 1/2 price to create.

This spell came from a third level artificer who had a villain decide to use clairvoyance. he reasoned that making an item such as this would be incredibly useful even later on in the campaign.

the idea of the spell was that between a long casting time and it's weak (compared to private sanctum) so it should be low level, cheap and with just a touch of patience, effective.

the spell makes both casters aware of the scry drain. (the artificer did not care, he only wants the spell as a permanent item)
The 1 GP lead is mostly just a flavor for spreading Lead in an area,
I should have made it sorcerer/wizard
24 hours per level might actually be better. it is just a simple way of saying go away, semi-long term.
Perhaps a retired adventurer innkeeper who offers anti-scry rooms at a higher price. or a magic shop who does not like others planning a robbery. if the spell/item warns, then it is time to start taking steps.

thanks for your imput

jqavins
2017-11-20, 09:38 PM
Another question I'd meant to ask above: Is it 1 g.p. weight of lead, or 1 g.p. worth of lead? (Or is it a fake g.p. made of lead? :smallwink:)

And given your intended uses, I now think 1 day/level is really required. For routine defenses (a la the magic shop and inn you mentioned) an hour of casting every day is more than "a little patience."

Nifft
2017-11-20, 09:49 PM
At a whole hour of casting time, make it last 1 week period. Or even one month.

It's a spell that a low-level Magewright gets paid to put up around the marketplace, and each place of business has a specific day when the Magewright visits.

Darth Ultron
2017-11-21, 09:03 AM
Reducing the caster level of a divination spell would not seem to do much. The caster level does not matter much.

Avigor
2017-11-21, 01:24 PM
Reducing the caster level of a divination spell would not seem to do much. The caster level does not matter much.

But what about once the CL is too low to cast said spell, or hits 0?

jqavins
2017-11-21, 02:47 PM
According to the OP, the scrying spell then stops. In other words, the main effects are 1) to limit the duration of scrying, and B) to alert the scryee. The advantage over outright scry blocking seems to be that it is lower level, so available to lower level casters, i.e. it's a low level half loaf. And maybe the duration.

Darth Ultron
2017-11-21, 08:43 PM

Does magic work like that?

If a 9th level mage casts Scry....they cast it ''at'' 9 caster levels..sort of. So ok scry drain drains caster levels...of the spell that was all ready cast...so what effect does that have on the scry spell? Even if the caster level was down to zero....the spell has all ready been cast...a long time ago.

jqavins
2017-11-22, 12:42 AM

If a 9th level mage casts Scry....they cast it ''at'' 9 caster levels..sort of. So ok scry drain drains caster levels...of the spell that was all ready cast...so what effect does that have on the scry spell? Even if the caster level was down to zero....the spell has all ready been cast...a long time ago.
I don't know about if magic works this way in any general sense, but the spell at hand works that way.

The spell loses one effective caster level each round. The caster is aware of this drain. For example a level 11 wizard who cast clairvoyance viewing the area would have 10 rounds of scrying before the spell expired (10 rounds of draining caster level plus 10 rounds of duration would end the spell)
That last sentence, the parenthetical, is poorly worded, but the intent seems clear to me; the scrying spell is cancelled after a period of time equal to the level of its caster in rounds. In the case of any particular scrying spell which has an effect that varies with caster level, it should become gradually less effective before finally "going out." If reducing the caster level after the spell is cast doesn't sit right, then think of it as the blocking effect growing round by round instead.

rferries
2017-11-23, 08:17 AM
Using nondetection, false vision, and mage's private sanctum as baselines I think your effect is arguably balanced, though I'm not sure if anyone would bother using it. A few rounds is usually enough time for a scrying attempt to be useful anyways.

Nifft
2017-11-23, 10:38 AM
Using nondetection, false vision, and mage's private sanctum as baselines I think your effect is arguably balanced, though I'm not sure if anyone would bother using it. A few rounds is usually enough time for a scrying attempt to be useful anyways.

If you want to prohibit adventurers from scry-teleport-murdering your clerk? It's useless.

If you want to make it very expensive for the competition to look into your place of business all day? It's effective.

So, what are you worried about? Adventuring murderers who have access to teleportation, or competitors who have access to your market?

Avigor
2017-11-23, 11:20 PM

Aside from the already pointed out spell specifying it does in this instance, there is precedent in the Echoing Spell metamagic - once the CL goes too low, it stops echoing. Also, negative levels drain CL and slots and can prevent higher level spells from being prepared or such. Granted, afaik there isn't a blanket rule on it, but we are in the homebrew forum so...