PDA

View Full Version : How do spell slots work when leveling?

JeffCyr
2017-11-20, 05:52 AM
I'm trying to wrap my head around how spell slots work in 5e having not played (or kept up with changes) since 2.5. In particular I want to make a warlock.

At level 2 is shows me having 2 spell slots with slot level being 1st. So far I figure 2x 1st level slots.
But at level 3 it still shows 2 spell slots and only says 2nd level after. Are the 1st level slots converted? Do I pick whether I consume them as first or second level? Is the number under spell slots the total or how many that level gives me? (I'm referring to the warlock table at the beginning of it's class in the PHB)

JellyPooga
2017-11-20, 06:05 AM
Warlock Pact Magic works a little differently to "normal" spellcasters. They don't get X 1st level spell slots AND Y 2nd level spell slots, etc. Instead, they only ever cast spells using their highest level spell slots available. e.g. at level 3, a Warlock has two level 2 spell slots and whether he's casting a 1st level spell or a 2nd level spell, it uses one of those two level 2 slots. If it's a 1st level spell that can be "upcast" for greater effect (e.g. Hellish Rebuke, which can be cast for extra damage using higher level slots), then you get the additional benefits. If not, you just get the standard effect of the lower level spell; except you've spent a higher level slot (which kinda sucks).

JeffCyr
2017-11-20, 07:01 AM
Oh I see, I went and gravitated to the one class that could confuse me haha. Thanks a lot. It does mean that Warlock doesn't get many spells a day huh? At level 20 I think it's 4 slots Well I'm still gonna be a warlock otherwise it messes with my Roleplay idea. Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-20, 07:10 AM
It does mean that Warlock doesn't get many spells a day huh?

Warlocks regain their slots on a short rest - that's their big advantage. Generally you should expect to get two or maybe three (if you stop for afternoon tea) short rests per day. Nothing's guaranteed now though; the PC unions have been significantly weakened since 3.5.

Also you primary round-to-round action is eldritch blast, a cantrip.

Amano666
2017-11-20, 07:10 AM
As a warlock you get those spells every short rest. By taking an hour break you recover all your spell slots, other classes can only recover during a long rest (8 hours) or in a more limited way. ninja

JeffCyr
2017-11-20, 07:17 AM
aah That is great! Depends on if I can convince the party, good thing I was thinking of utility for my spells like protect from evil and good or such.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-20, 07:50 AM
I'm in a game with a Warlock, and we tend to have 1 Short Rest per in-game day so far. He's not complaining, and neither is the Fighter, since we're not hard up for resources by the start or our Long Rest.
I'm perfectly willing to take some in-character breaks while we adventure, even if I don't have too much benefit from it as the Cleric. It's a team effort, after all. And I'm fully expecting that we'll move to 2-3 Short Rests per day eventually, when we start coming up against tougher foes.

JeffCyr
2017-11-20, 07:53 AM
Well I'm not in a campaign yet, the DM's still preparing and he found his PCs through roll20's forums so we don't know what the chemistry between us will be so we'll see. I'm not even sure he'll accept my character concept yet, I'm big on roleplay and making my character as realistic as possible and so my character won't fit into the "Murder hobo" role that so many parties become but if that's what the rest of the party wants to be I'll struggle to keep up