PDA

View Full Version : Question about Adamantine weapons

Throne12
2017-11-20, 07:45 AM
So it say you can coat your weapon like silver but it cost 500gp. So that don't make Adamantine magic weapons. So a warlock can use the invocation improved pact weapon the one that gives a +1. Right?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-20, 07:54 AM
If it works like Silvered weapons, it just means the weapons bypass the non-magical resistance of some monsters. Lycanthropes (and possibly others) can be hurt normally by Silvered weapons. I'm guessing there are monsters that have something similar but for Adamantine weapons. Which Inkinda hope -also- work as though Silvered, because that's a lot of cash to spend on a 'normal' weapon..

Throne12
2017-11-20, 08:23 AM
I'm at work so I can't give a word from word. But it say you can coat your weapon with Adamantine it cost 500gp your weapon now act as if you Critically hit. Everytime you hit with the weapon.

nickl_2000
2017-11-20, 08:35 AM
I'm at work so I can't give a word from word. But it say you can coat your weapon with Adamantine it cost 500gp your weapon now act as if you Critically hit. Everytime you hit with the weapon.

It says "Whenever an adamantine weapon or piece of ammunition hits an object, the hit is a critical hit"

So it isn't creatures, just objects.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-20, 08:49 AM
It’ll also let you hit Golems for full damage if you don’t otherwise have a magical weapon.

Mikal
2017-11-20, 08:56 AM
So it say you can coat your weapon like silver but it cost 500gp. So that don't make Adamantine magic weapons. So a warlock can use the invocation improved pact weapon the one that gives a +1. Right?

You can only bind magical weapons, so a non-magical adamantine weapon can't be bound. Regardless, the +1 only works on conjured weapons.
That being said, if a Hexblade you still get Cha to hit and damage with both. You touch the admantine weapon which works until the end of your next long rest, and your conjured weapon automatically gains the Cha to hit and damage, with the benefit of being able to change it to a melee or ranged weapon thanks to Improved Pact Weapon.

So you can use the adamantine when most advantageous, and the improved pact weapon for everything else.
Once you can get the admanatine weapon enchanted so it's magic, then you can just bind that and drop the conjuring.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-20, 08:57 AM
Which I kinda hope -also- work as though Silvered, because that's a lot of cash to spend on a 'normal' weapon..

Personally, I wouldn't allow adamantine to 'count as' silver. There are specific lore reasons for golems being hurt by adamantine and devils & lycanthropes being hurt by silver, so you'd need both metals if you wanted to bypass both resistances. Or just get a +1 weapon. They shouldn't be much more than 500gp anyway, if there are magic item shops in your world.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-20, 09:32 AM
Personally, I wouldn't allow adamantine to 'count as' silver. There are specific lore reasons for golems being hurt by adamantine and devils & lycanthropes being hurt by silver, so you'd need both metals if you wanted to bypass both resistances. Or just get a +1 weapon. They shouldn't be much more than 500gp anyway, if there are magic item shops in your world.

Hearing/Reading how Adamantine is for countering Golems/Constructs and Silver is for certain monsters... I agree with Adamantine not working to bypass the Silver thing.

Though by the time you are fighting either of those with any sort of regularity, you really should have a magical weapon or a way to bypass that resistance.

Joe the Rat
2017-11-20, 09:49 AM

Reminds me of one of the narrative bits in the SCAG - I nice gent out of one of the _bars (Mirabar, perhaps?) wielding a Silvered Adamantine axe. (Silver axe for his deity, adamantine for the ass-kicking). So yes, plop down 600 and get both.

On a related point, something I've heard of another DM doing was to allow mithral to count as silver. But this was a 3.5 thing (otherwise why bother with mithral weapons?).

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-20, 10:35 AM
otherwise why bother with mithral weapons?

Why indeed? I'm not familiar with any rules for those in 5e (unless there are some in Xanathar's), but if I had to come up with some on the spot, I'd say... half the normal weight and double maximum range on thrown weapons? Allowing it to count as silver is probably a good idea too. Mithral is kind of silvery and I could see it working on shapechangers.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-20, 11:11 AM
Why indeed? I'm not familiar with any rules for those in 5e (unless there are some in Xanathar's), but if I had to come up with some on the spot, I'd say... half the normal weight and double maximum range on thrown weapons? Allowing it to count as silver is probably a good idea too. Mithral is kind of silvery and I could see it working on shapechangers.

Mithral armor is actually in the game already (DMG182), but it's pretty lame. Armors (medium or heavy, not hide) is an uncommon item that makes it so they don't cause disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks and have no Strength requirement. It also calls out specifically being able to wear a mithral chain shirt or breastplate under your normal clothes.

Honestly, I'd love it if you guys did an update on special materials (including pilfering Eberron for some optional materials as well, like Flametouched iron, byeshyk or targath).

EDIT: Damn, didn't realize that we were talking about weapons. Though the Magic Item Special features table(s) in the DMG on page 142-143 mention that Fey things are often made out of mithral or silver, and makes no mention as to lowered weight. Elf, right above that, does mention being half weight, but with no real reason why.