PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Class suggestions for Iron Gods?

Barstro
2017-11-20, 10:10 AM
Please, do NOT even hint at spoilers.

I will probably be playing the Iron Gods campaign in the near future. I read the Player's Guide and the first three pages of the Tech Guide before I noticed the spoiler warning and stopped.

What are some archetypes that are good for this campaign? If you care, I'm considering being a front line fighter (but I'll be choosing my character last to fill any gaps, so that could change).

For logistical reasons, I should not be the party's face. But feel free to list those classes a well, if just for posterity.

Thanks.

Barstro
2017-11-20, 11:21 AM
Presently leaning towards some sort of Magus. Do Iron Gods' specific characteristics made Bladebound a poor choice?

Psyren
2017-11-20, 11:36 AM
I think unseenmage's group has played through this one all the way so I'd try shooting him a PM (or maybe he'll pop in here.) Otherwise your most surefire bet is probably the paizo boards themselves, there should be a bunch of people with advice there.

About all I know about the AP is that it features constructs, so I'd be prepared to fight those.

Barstro
2017-11-20, 12:30 PM
Otherwise your most surefire bet is probably the paizo boards themselves, there should be a bunch of people with advice there.

My concern with that is my limited research there yielded a high frequency of spoilers. But thank you for suggesting that as a more appropriate place to search; I'll try there again if this forum does not provide answers.

Biguds
2017-11-20, 12:50 PM
Hello there.

I'm the DM of our group Iron Gods campaign, so, here are some suggestions. (our party: Ratfolk Ranger [Galvanic Saboteur] / Android Warpriest of Brigh)

Say no to mounts and anything really large.
Say yes to technology (and Knowledge (Enginnering)).
Hardness is a thing, deal with it. Try one big hit/damage, not many hits with medium to low damage.
High touch AC will save your live.
Know your enemies (constructs, aberrations and humans mostly).
That "Technologist" feat is a must (or just a feat tax)

For classes:

Barbarian (and Numerian Liberator)
Bloodrager
Fighter (Cyber-Soldier)
Hunter (remember, technology is your friend and too large pets are not)
Magus
Ranger (and Galvanic Saboteur)
Warpriest

Lastly, sorry for the bad english.

Barstro
2017-11-20, 01:24 PM
Try one big hit/damage, not many hits with medium to low damage.

I'm embarrassed that I did not come up with that on my own.

Hunter (remember, technology is your friend and to large pets are not)

Lastly, sorry for the bad english.

Are you suggesting that a Hunter not get a Large pet?

Biguds
2017-11-20, 02:00 PM
Hello again.

Yes, a Medium pet will be more usefull. There is a lot of dungeon crawl and cramped spaces and right from start, so your group composition should have that in mind.

Derenoc
2017-11-20, 09:12 PM
Hello, another DM for Iron Gods!

Wanted to second all the above points, with extra emphasis on Knowledge (Engineering) and the Technologist feat. Also, if you've got the room for it in your skills, you can do some pretty cool stuff with healing :D

Kurald Galain
2017-11-21, 02:43 AM
Presently leaning towards some sort of Magus. Do Iron Gods' specific characteristics made Bladebound a poor choice?

Well in that case... (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) :smallbiggrin:

Single target damage not a problem, and you can try for an adamantine weapon. Various non-AC defensive buffs that work against touch attacks. Decent int and several knowledge skills. Can summon mounts when needed, make them vanish when not needed.

Psyren
2017-11-21, 12:08 PM
Note that even without an adamantine weapon, you can still beat DR/Adamantine if your weapon is +4 or greater (from a source other than GMW.) This includes taking a +1 weapon and powering it up to +4 via your Arcane Pool.

Barstro
2017-11-25, 12:33 AM
Thank you for the reminders and advice.

Florian
2017-11-25, 01:34 AM
Iron Gods makes heavy use of three creature types and the most common loot are hand grenades, so anything with Fav. Enemy, Fav, Terrain and ranged option is "easy mode" for this AP (the abundance go grenades makes animal companions a problem, tho). Generally speaking, energy damage is moe prevalent than physical damage, making certain spell casters the "better" healer by prevention.

Good chices are:
- Occultist (Occult Historian)
- Oracle (Pei Zin Practitioner and Elementalist archetypes, Life)
- Ranger (Stormwalker)
- Slayer (Guerilla and Sniper, Fav. Terrain, Seething Hatred and Extreme Prejudice)
- Psychic (Mindtech)
- Psychic 5 (Mindtech) / Fighter 1+ (Cyber-Soldier) ... might sound odd but works in this AP.
- Magus (Black Blade, Shocking Grasp focussed)

unseenmage
2017-11-26, 01:43 AM
I think unseenmage's group has played through this one all the way so I'd try shooting him a PM (or maybe he'll pop in here.) Otherwise your most surefire bet is probably the paizo boards themselves, there should be a bunch of people with advice there.

About all I know about the AP is that it features constructs, so I'd be prepared to fight those.
We did play through it all, though it was heavily houseruled. :smallsmile:

Seconding all of the advice here. Additionally, you'll want to find out if your GM is using the Guns Everywhere variant that makes firearms common. Also find out how much the tech weapons will count as firearms for Gunslingers and such if you're considering such. Some GMs have a more difficult time with tech and what it interacts with rules-wise.

Also keep in mind that tech uses its own set of pseudo item crafting feats and speciality facilities. Though the tech crafting feats aren't explicitly called out as item crafting feats IIRC. Again, only an issue with certain GMs but it bears discussion if that's a route of interest.

This will be one of the few APs where playing an android, alien, or even a robot will be more than less appropriate so do consider it! Had a lot of fun with my Android character.

One of my favorite campaigns; have fun!

Akal Saris
2017-11-27, 09:46 PM
I'm DMing a game of Iron Gods.

I just wanted to suggest Alchemist as another good class to consider, since fire bypasses Hardness.

Vhaidara
2017-11-27, 09:55 PM
I just wanted to suggest Alchemist as another good class to consider, since fire bypasses Hardness.

Fire does not bypass hardness. Energy damage types are in fact halved before hardness is applied (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/damaging-objects/#TOC-Hardness). What fire ignores is damage reduction, which is similar to hardness, but generally worse.

It's worth noting that the same applies to ranged attacks, so I'd advise against relying on those

Draacul
2017-11-27, 10:10 PM
Please, do NOT even hint at spoilers.

I will probably be playing the Iron Gods campaign in the near future. I read the Player's Guide and the first three pages of the Tech Guide before I noticed the spoiler warning and stopped.

What are some archetypes that are good for this campaign? If you care, I'm considering being a front line fighter (but I'll be choosing my character last to fill any gaps, so that could change).

For logistical reasons, I should not be the party's face. But feel free to list those classes a well, if just for posterity.

Thanks.
I don't think that it is a much of a spoiler that there are a lot of robots in the campaign.
Robots,as a rule,are vulnerable to electricity.AND CRITICAL HITS.Crtical hit will either stun the robot or,at worst,stagger it.
Magus,as far as Bladebound goes,is one of the most effective things this side of Dreamscarred classes for this campaign.
Pick a high-threat weapon and go to town.Shocking Grasp will get you through the whole campaign.Even high-end robots won't like 30d6 from a spell alone.
Oh,and robots do have hardness.But they are not,in fact,objects,so energy damage won't get halved.

Barstro
2017-11-27, 10:53 PM
Thank you all. I have my ideas; just need to see what everyone else goes with whenever we start the next campaign.