PDA

View Full Version : Zweihander: Any Good?

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-11-20, 10:13 AM
From my understanding, Zweihander: A Grim and Perilous Role-playing Game, is sort of meant to be a successor to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay much in the same way Pathfinder was to 3.5 Edition D&D.

Is it any good? How is it different from WHFRP itself? Would it be worth picking up considering Cubicle7 is supposed to release a 4th Edition of WHFRP this year, though there's no indication of WHEN this year that will be? Thank you! :smallsmile:

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-20, 11:06 AM
I'll be honest, I don't know entirely because once I saw there was a paid version I decided getting the free version would be unfair to the devs. But as far as I can tell there are differences and it's more like being a 'successor' than a 'remake'.

LuisDantas
2017-11-20, 04:49 PM
The PDF has been put on 50% promotion fairly often. I have a copy, although I have not read it yet.

Do you want me to check for anything specifically?

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-11-20, 07:37 PM
Well, does it have its own setting or is it just generic? Does it have things like Dwarfs and Elves or just humans? Is there magic available and if so, is it similar to Warhammer's Winds of Magic/Color setup?

Basically, how much work would need to be done to do a Warhammer Fantasy campaign using Zweihander's rules?

CharonsHelper
2017-11-20, 08:23 PM
Basically, how much work would need to be done to do a Warhammer Fantasy campaign using Zweihander's rules?

I haven't seen or read the actual rules - but I have read quite a bit of promo material.

And - from what I read it sounded like the world was mostly 2e Warhammer's with the serial numbers filed off. Very much going for the same vibe in their setting.

I've heard mostly good things about some streamlining & balance relative to 2e - but since I haven't played either I can only give that second-hand tidbits.

The other thing I remember about it was how shortly before release (well after the Kickstarter) they tried to get good PR (really ODD attempt at PC-ness) by adding male genitalia to a bunch of their artwork - especially of monsters. People were very negative about it, so they were removed.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-21, 05:54 AM
The other thing I remember about it was how shortly before release (well after the Kickstarter) they tried to get good PR (really ODD attempt at PC-ness) by adding male genitalia to a bunch of their artwork - especially of monsters. People were very negative about it, so they were removed.

Shame, would have been interesting to have seen that.

CharonsHelper
2017-11-21, 08:57 AM
Shame, would have been interesting to have seen that.

They posted many pics on various message boards - so I'm sure that you could find them if you really wanted to.

obryn
2017-11-21, 10:17 AM
I grabbed the WFRP2e Humble Bundle a ways back, so I'm set. The whole marketing spiel and messageboard-spam for Zweihander turned me off.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-11-21, 01:17 PM
So I might be better off getting the PDFs of 2nd Edition WHFRP and waiting until the 4th Edition comes out next summer? :smallconfused:

LuisDantas
2017-11-22, 12:09 AM
Well, does it have its own setting or is it just generic?

It seems to me to be about halfway between those two situations. There is no clear setting, but the environment is hinted at very often (and quite dark).

Does it have things like Dwarfs and Elves or just humans?
Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Ogres and Elves are available on the core rules.

Dozens of professions, too.

Is there magic available and if so, is it similar to Warhammer's Winds of Magic/Color setup?

It is available, there is talk of Aetheric Winds, and there is a sharp division between Arcane and Divine Magicks, not unlike a D&D retroclone.

I do not know Warhammer's magic, so I can't compare.

If Warhammer Fantasy is a lot like generic D&D (races, classes, levels and professions) with a very grim setting and an unusual alignment system that involves both a "Order" alignment and a "Chaos" alignment, then I figure that it would take very little work.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-11-25, 08:01 AM
I got the PDF for on sale for 5 bucks yesterday, and id say it was worth it! From what I'm reading it basically IS Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay with the serial numbers filed off. The Aethyric Winds you mentioned are Warhammer's Winds of Magic renamed with the Sefirot of Kabbalah mysticism, the deities are Warhammer gods with generic titles (The God-Emperor is Sigmar, The Lord of Decay is Nurgle and The Demiurge is Taal), and while it could easily be criticized for a lack of originality with this, I think it's a good thing considering Zweihander's whole purpose is to allow Warhammer Fantasy players to continue enjoying it even if the setting is no longer there...it was definitely at least worth 5 bucks! :smallsmile:

rredmond
2017-11-25, 10:05 AM
Good to know. How does everyone think it'll run in play-by-post.
We're trying to start a game on Unseen Servant (http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6972) and I know folks are wondering about the game and it's relation to WH. :)
Be well!
--Ron--