PDA

View Full Version : Rage feat as fighter bonus feat?

Balldanor
2017-11-20, 10:49 AM
I know what's running through my head about this situation, but figured I'd get a few other opinions about it.

In a 3.5 game I'm running, one of the players is running a Dragonborn Barbarian 5/Fighter 2, and wants to go into Frenzied Bezerker. His plan was to take 2 more levels of fighter, and take Intimidating Rage and Destructive Rage as his 9th level character feat and 4th level fighter bonus feat, respectively. Basically, my question is whether or not it makes sense to allow a rage feat to be taken as a fighter bonus feat even though it is not listed as a fighter bonus feat. His reasoning is that it's a combat-oriented feat that he has the qualifications for, so he should be able to take it at any time that he has a feat available.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Psyren
2017-11-20, 10:53 AM
By rules as written it's not eligible, but it wouldn't hurt anything either if you wanted to allow it anyway.

Strictly speaking, rage can be used for things other than combat, but then the same can be said for several fighter feats.

daremetoidareyo
2017-11-20, 07:52 PM
Allow it. It isn't RAW legal. But it doesn't imbalance anything.

ATHATH
2017-11-20, 09:10 PM
That isn't legal by RAW or by RAI (IMO).

Make of that what you will.

Kobold Esq
2017-11-21, 12:53 AM
I know what's running through my head about this situation, but figured I'd get a few other opinions about it.

In a 3.5 game I'm running, one of the players is running a Dragonborn Barbarian 5/Fighter 2, and wants to go into Frenzied Bezerker. His plan was to take 2 more levels of fighter, and take Intimidating Rage and Destructive Rage as his 9th level character feat and 4th level fighter bonus feat, respectively. Basically, my question is whether or not it makes sense to allow a rage feat to be taken as a fighter bonus feat even though it is not listed as a fighter bonus feat. His reasoning is that it's a combat-oriented feat that he has the qualifications for, so he should be able to take it at any time that he has a feat available.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Not RAW or RAI, but it is your game. If the rest of the party is Wizards and CoDzillas, then who cares if the guy managed to shoehorn his way into Frenzied Berserker at level 9? At that point the full casters will be coming into their own, and it isn't particularly unbalancing. On the other hand, if the rest of the party is unoptimized T4 classes, or new players trying to learn the rules, I'd stick to the rules as written.

DEMON
2017-11-21, 07:37 AM
On the other hand, if the rest of the party is unoptimized T4 classes, or new players trying to learn the rules, I'd stick to the rules as written.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the party is unoptimized, they will be rolling new chars soon enough with FB on board.

A rules legal solution would probably be retraining. I'm sure he's got some fighter bonus feats that he took as standard feats.

Balldanor
2017-11-21, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If the party is unoptimized, they will be rolling new chars soon enough with FB on board.

A rules legal solution would probably be retraining. I'm sure he's got some fighter bonus feats that he took as standard feats.

I was planning on letting him retrain, but I think I'll just allow it. I figure if he wants to get his character killed by going after party members at an earlier level, so be it lol

Mordaedil
2017-11-22, 03:57 AM
I would say you should allow it, but have it start as the rage spell that the wizard can cast, and it gets progressively stronger as long as he's used it in a fight and has gained a few experience levels. It shouldn't catch up to the barbarian's rage though, but I'd allow him to also take tireless rage at a point.

DEMON
2017-11-22, 03:59 AM
I would say you should allow it, but have it start as the rage spell that the wizard can cast, and it gets progressively stronger as long as he's used it in a fight and has gained a few experience levels. It shouldn't catch up to the barbarian's rage though, but I'd allow him to also take tireless rage at a point.

Someone hasn't read the OP...

weckar
2017-11-22, 04:56 AM
I'm frankly surprised there aren't rage-based substitution levels/acfs for the fighter.

Mordaedil
2017-11-22, 05:38 AM
Someone hasn't read the OP...

I tried to, I might have skimmed it a bit roughly. Yeah, I misunderstood completely. Should be fine.