PDA

View Full Version : Dragoon Knight (PRC)

starwoof
2007-08-18, 11:23 PM
I know that this has been done to death but I wanted to make my own version for a new world I'm creating. Also I've only ever played the first three final fantasy games so I didn't base much of this on the FF series. :smalltongue: I combined the historical rifle carrying dragoon who used their horses purely for transport with knightly orders and the FF dragoons. Be warned theres a lot of setting specific fluff in there.

Dragoon Knight
The southern nation of Vargol is a temperate valley home to a medium sized population of people, mostly farmers, craftsmen, and explorers. In the center of the valley, however, there is a castle built into a huge rock spike known as Wyvernspire. This castle is home to the Dragoon Knights, or simply the dragoons, a group of knights that patrol the skies over the neighboring nations. Anyone is allowed to join the dragoons, provided they have a noble heart and can pay the entrance fee, of course.

Dragoons are world renowned as powerful warriors and guardians of the sky. Low level dragoons are usually on official business, otherwise they do not have a wyvern mount. Beginning dragoons are forced to take normal means of transportation when not on official business, such as carriage or train. When a low ranking dragoon is assigned a mission a wyvern is sent carrying a letter containing orders. Typical missions for dragoons are guarding important trains and caravans through dangerous territory or More advanced Dragoons are allowed wyverns for longer periods of time and eventually they earn a wyvern of their very own.

Prerequisites
BAB: +5
Feats: Mounted Combat, Weapon Focus (any spear, pole-arm, or long rifle)
Skills: Ride 8 ranks, Jump 5 ranks
Alignment: Any Non-evil
Special: Must be a member of the Dragoon Knights. This costs 8000 gp, which includes the cost of heraldry, wyverns, training, and barding. Becoming a dragoon requires one month of intense training. After this a character is free to take this prestige class.

Dragoon Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Mounted Archery, Wyvern Mount (Restricted)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Quick Switching

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Short Haft

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Wyvern Mount (Free Use 1)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Tail Sweep

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Improved Mounted Archery

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Wyvern Mount (Free Use 2)

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Air God's Leap

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Improved Manueverability

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Wyvern Mount (Free Use 3), Charge of Fire
[/table]

Skills: 4+int
Class Skills: Ride, Jump, Swim, Tumble, Profession, Climb, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Handle Animal

Class Abilities

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The Dragoon is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with firearms. He is also proficient with light and medium armor and with shields.

Mounted Archery
At 1st level the Dragoon gains Mounted Archery as a bonus feat.

Wyvern Mount
The Dragoons are renowned for their wyvern mounts. All wyverns are trained to fly in armor and while carrying a rider, so their barding dosn't count against weight limits for flight. A wyvern may fly in medium barding. If a wyvern dies in duty with a dragoon then he is required to pay 500 gp per HD of the wyvern to the dragoon knights.

At 1st level a dragoon gains access to a wyvern for use on official missions. When a mission is given to a dragoon a wyvern will fly to him wearing studded leather barding and carrying a satchel with a letter containing details on the mission. The wyvern is capable of finding the dragoon in question unneringly. Nobody is sure how they are capable of this. Details on missions should be left to DMs, usually consisting of an entire adventure or simply an adventure hook. The wyvern leaves when it is no longer useful or the mission is complete.

At 4th level a dragoon is allowed more freedom with the wyverns. The high dragoons will send a Wyvwhistle, a horn made from a wyvern's horn. The call of the horn is both audible and magical, and a free wyvern will be summoned to the caller of the horn, flying to him within one minute. The wyvern has an additional 2 HD but is still large sized. It wears Chain Shirt barding. The 4th level dragoon is allowed more freedom with his wyverns, and he is allowed to use this one for any purpose for 3 days a month, unless on official business which supersedes this time limit. If the wyvern feels it's time is being wasted it may choose to leave. This is up to the DM's discretion, but wyverns rarely abandon their dragoon.

At 7th level the dragoon is allowed even more freedom. When the dragoon calls a wyvern it has 5 additional HD but still remains large. The wyvern also has chainmail barding. The dragoon is allowed to use this wyvern for up to 3 days a week, unless on official business which supersedes this time limit.

At 10th level the dragoon has attained such prestige that he is gifted a wyvern. This wyvern wears breastplate barding and has 7 additional HD. This wyvern is huge sized. The dragoon may call this wyvern whenever he wishes.

Quick Switching
A 2nd level dragoon has trained in the art of switching from ranged to melee attacks in a heartbeat. He may switch from a ranged weapon to a melee weapon as a free action or vice versa. Usually they use this to hold the line against attackers, firing at them when far away with firearms or bows and then switching to spears when they get close.

Short haft
At 3rd level the dragoon is capable of using reach weapons against adjacent opponents at no penalty.

Tail Sweep
At 5th level a dragoon is capable of using any spear, pole-arm, or long rifle to make trip attacks against opponents. When wielding one of these weapons he gains the improved trip feat, regardless of whether he meets the prerequisites or not.

Improved Mounted Archery
At 6th level the dragoon halves the penalties for firing a ranged weapon while mounted again, -0 instead of -2 if the mount is taking a double move, and -2 instead of -4 if the mount is running.

Air God's Leap
At 8th level the dragoon learns another special dragoon technique. If he succeeds on a jump check with a DC equal to 10+ his class levels and he has at least enough room for a 10 foot vertical jump he may count as charging. He may combine this technique with the Charge of Fire. From now on the dragoon is also not limited by his height for jumps.

Improved Manueverability
From 9th level onwards the dragoon increases the manueverability of any wyvern he rides by one stage due to his supreme training and mastery over these creatures.

Charge of Fire
At 10th level the dragoon learns the capstone ability of his class, the charge of fire. Up to 3 times a day during a charge, mounted or otherwise, the dragoon may make his full number of attacks which may be split between ranged and melee as he wishes, so long as he makes at least one melee attack. Usually a dragoon will take a shot with his rifle as he closes and then dice his opponent with his halberd or spear when they collide. Sometimes they will take multiple shots with a bow or repeating rifle. All of the usual charging bonuses apply for the first attack only.

Please comment. :smallsmile:

Azaa
2007-08-19, 01:50 AM
Hmmm I like......how would YOU like it if this was published and people around the USA could play your class? And of course you'll get your online name printed under the Thank You List.

starwoof
2007-08-19, 02:03 AM
Well I have to say, I would like that a lot. What exactly would this be in?

Id like to get some more comments and possibly work on balance before I called this finished though.

Azaa
2007-08-19, 12:48 PM
Uh well the book is going to be called Players Handbook Fans Ideas. And sure, you dont have to except right away but I'm looking for ideas and fast since im not starting the book unless it has about 1000 ideas for it. (I'm going to die:smalleek: )