PDA

View Full Version : More than one Epic Destiny?

Clistenes
2017-11-20, 04:06 PM
While I was looking for for some new Unearthed Arcana content, I bumped into this bit of homebrewed content: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6t3nv4/epic_destinies_part_1_of_4_playtest_release/

On a quick glance, nothing seems too gamebreaking for a 20+ game, besides the many "respawn a day after being killed" options, and even those aren't too much for a party with high level magic facing enemies with equally powerful magic... The Epic Destiny classes are of 5th levels each, which is nice if you want to prolong your game a bit before retiring the characters...

But I am curious... how would you feel about a character taking more than one of those? I mean, I see no reason at all a Draconic Incarnation who has fully transitioned into a dragon wouldn't want to become a Lorekeeper (he/she needs some way to spend his/her newly adquired eternal life, doesn't he/she?), or a Lich wouldn't want to become master of his own Astral Domain...

So, what do you think about that? Would having more than one Epic Destiny be ridiculous, or not?

Vaz
2017-11-20, 04:11 PM
The real question is that there's f-all content for tier 5 campaigns until you get to the ridiculous 5e problem of challenges taking place to a mathmatical fomula of short rests, and you're killing demlichs, and ancient dragons and other extinction event level encounters every 4 hours.

If you can get around that break in verisimilitude, then i think it's fair game.

Clistenes
2017-11-20, 04:37 PM
The real question is that there's f-all content for tier 5 campaigns until you get to the ridiculous 5e problem of challenges taking place to a mathmatical fomula of short rests, and you're killing demlichs, and ancient dragons and other extinction event level encounters every 4 hours.

If you can get around that break in verisimilitude, then i think it's fair game.

Actually, they suggest to change to milestone advancement, so I think you would probably fighting less and doing more exploring, social encounters and problem-solving stuff...

You are right in that some of the features would make characters pretty hard to beat or even to threaten if combined, but on the other hand, you can turn off every special power of the Planeshaper if you block planar travel, so at least some Epic Destinies are manageable.

Also I think that, if you were to take more than one Epic Destiny, your proficiency bonus shouldn't rise above +8...