PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Adventure Paths & Mega Modules

Thurbane
2017-11-20, 04:10 PM
Hey all,

So I was wondering about some APs and mega modules I might run in the future.

I have the Shackled City hardcover compendium. I'm also aware of Rappan Athuk, Castle Whiterock, the Savage Tide AP, and the age of Worms AP.

I am aware of RHoD, Fortress of the Yuan-Ti series and EttRoG, but these are a little short.

I'm looking for things that will take a party most (or all) of the way from 1st to 20th.

All suggestions welcome, but I am looking for 3.5 (I don't want to convert PF, but I'm willing to convert 3.0 to 3.5 if required).

Cheers - T

Mike Miller
2017-11-20, 04:16 PM
There is a three book forgotten realms series that I can't remember the name of. Starts with Cormyr.

The World's Largest Dungeon can go from 1-20+. I am running it currently. If you don't want an awful campaign it takes a lot of work. I have changed a lot.

The sunless citadel AP runs 8 books from 1-20ish.

War of the Burning Sky is also 1-20

digiman619
2017-11-20, 06:30 PM
The first four Pathfinder APs (Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Second Darkness and Legacy of Fire) were written for 3.5.

Mike Miller
2017-11-20, 08:33 PM
So the Forgotten Realms three book series I mentioned is from level 4th to 13th, so not quite as long. It is "Cormyr the Tearing of the Weave" , "Shadowdale" , and "Anauroch the Empire of Shade"
If you really wanted to do a 1-20 campaign you would need to supplement that one. Maure Castle is a good one to supplement those three. That is for 12th level players to 17th, except with all 3 dungeon mags that it was in, I think it went up to 20ish. Dungeon 112, 124, and 139. 112 is stand-alone, but they added on to it in the other two. So you can really just view it as a single Castle that hadn't been completed at the original issue.

Also, you mentioned Rappan Athuk. Just keep in mind if you do run that one, the players will die. A lot. So if the party is down for it, good luck!

Castle Whiterock is on my list of campaigns to acquire. I just can't quite justify the cost yet. I have other mega modules to get through before spending the money.

Dragovon
2017-11-21, 05:12 PM
Hey all,

I have the Shackled City hardcover compendium. I'm also aware of Rappan Athuk, Castle Whiterock, the Savage Tide AP, and the age of Worms AP.

I am aware of RHoD, Fortress of the Yuan-Ti series and EttRoG, but these are a little short.

Cheers - T

What all is in the Fortress of the Yuan-Ti series? What is EttRoG. Not sure I've seen either of those.

Morof Stonehands
2017-11-21, 06:36 PM
Fortress of the Yuan-Ti is a 3 part series: Barrow of the Forgotten King, Sinister Spire, Fortress of the Yuan-Ti. The other is Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. There are a few other Expeditions, to the Demonweb Pits (levels 9-12), to Undermountain (Levels 1-10), and to Castle Ravenloft (Levels 6-10). Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde will get you to level 7 from 1, and return to the Tempe of Elemental Evil can bring you level 4-14.

You might also want to check out the Dragonlance AP, Key of Destiny - Spectre of Sorrow - Price of Courage (Levels 1-20)

Eberron has a path bringing you 1-6: The Forgotten Forge, Shadows of the Last War, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, Grasp of the Emerald Claw

Forgotten Realms also has City of the Spider Queen (Levels 10-18)

There is a 3rd party module called Ruins of the Dragon Lord, it's a mega dungeon with a wilderness area around it. Can't vouch for it but it runs levels 1-20.

Another 3rd party publication is the Drow War. Three books (The Gathering Storm, The Dying of the Light, The Darkest Hour) bring you 1-20 also.

Thurbane
2017-11-21, 08:51 PM
What all is in the Fortress of the Yuan-Ti series? What is EttRoG. Not sure I've seen either of those.

Fortress of the Yuan-Ti is a 3 part series: Barrow of the Forgotten King, Sinister Spire, Fortress of the Yuan-Ti. The other is Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. There are a few other Expeditions, to the Demonweb Pits (levels 9-12), to Undermountain (Levels 1-10), and to Castle Ravenloft (Levels 6-10). Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde will get you to level 7 from 1, and return to the Tempe of Elemental Evil can bring you level 4-14.

You might also want to check out the Dragonlance AP, Key of Destiny - Spectre of Sorrow - Price of Courage (Levels 1-20)

Eberron has a path bringing you 1-6: The Forgotten Forge, Shadows of the Last War, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, Grasp of the Emerald Claw

Forgotten Realms also has City of the Spider Queen (Levels 10-18)

There is a 3rd party module called Ruins of the Dragon Lord, it's a mega dungeon with a wilderness area around it. Can't vouch for it but it runs levels 1-20.

Another 3rd party publication is the Drow War. Three books (The Gathering Storm, The Dying of the Light, The Darkest Hour) bring you 1-20 also.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I forgot, I have a copy of RttToEE. If I can find some adventures to get to level 4, and some to get from 14-20, would be a good option for my group. We love all things Greyhawk related; the old-schoolers in my group played the original ToEE many, many times in our 1E/2E days.

Joshua Goudreau
2017-11-27, 07:57 PM
There is also the 3.0 Ashardalon modules that will bring a party from 1-20. The full series and their levels are Sunless Citadel (1-3), Forge of Fury (3-5), The Speaker in Dreams (5-7), The Standing Stone (7-10), Heart of Nightfang Spire (10-13), Deep Horizon (13-15), Lord of the Iron Fortress (15-17), and Bastion of Broken Souls (18-20).

I can't vouch for all of them, but Citadel, Forge, and Spire are well deserving their status as classics of the edition. In my opinion, Gulthias and Ashardalon are great additions to the pantheon of classic D&D villains too.

I ran Red Hand of Doom and it was superb. The above mentioned Ebberon arc started in the campaign setting book was a lot of fun, but I did a bunch of converting to my homebrew world so I can't say how they run as written. I also ran Expedition to the Demonweb Pits and it was really great. However, these don't cover a huge level range like you are looking for though they are really good. I ran each of these as segments in larger games so using big adventure arcs as building blocks of a campaign is always an option, for example Demonweb Pits followed the Ebberon adventures in one campaign I ran, which I followed with the Abyss arc of adventures by Greg Vaughan from Dungeon and then conversions from 2e. When I did RHoD it was following the Iron Kingdoms Witchfire Trilogy.

The Dungeon adventure paths are worth a second vote, though they do need some work to maximize their potential.

Fizban
2017-11-27, 10:32 PM
Apparently I forgot when this thread was last on the front page, but the Forgotten Realms "zomg shar shadow weave blargh" path is pretty long. Cormyr: The Tearing of the weave is 4th-7th? (8th? 9th? The module doesn't seem certain about itself), Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land is 9th-13th, and Anauroch: The Empire of Shade is 13th-17th.

I've read through the second and most of the third and they're mostly okay, though you'll really want to double-check some of the encounters like the "CR10" skeletal dragon at the start of Shadowdale that's cheating behind illusions that don't work that way, and there's a whole leg of Anauroch where you can't tell if its supposed to be in or out of the dead magic zone- I would hope outside, since making the PCs fight half a dozen high level casters who are immune to the antimagic field would be pretty bogus. . . but that dragon skeleton. . .