PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pyromancer in 5th edition

Trey Bright
2017-11-20, 04:11 PM
So if you want to make a fire magician build now, the best way to do it is Teifling with the racial feat and red/gold/brass dragon blooded sorcerer. My personal favorite way to do it is use a fire geansi and pyromancer sorcerer origin Pyromancer from Planeshift Kalidesh, but that's not a viable build in Adventure League because Plane Shift isn't legal.
If you don't want to play a sorcerer, I suppose Evocation Wizard is the next best option.

Mikal
2017-11-20, 04:23 PM
So if you want to make a fire magician build now, the best way to do it is Teifling with the racial feat and red/gold/brass dragon blooded sorcerer. My personal favorite way to do it is use a fire geansi and pyromancer sorcerer origin Pyromancer from Planeshift Kalidesh, but that's not a viable build in Adventure League because Plane Shift isn't legal.
If you don't want to play a sorcerer, I suppose Evocation Wizard is the next best option.

Why not just go with a Fire-based Draconic Sorcerer origin mixed with Celestial Warlock? Take Elemental Adept at level 4. MC into Celestial Warlock at some point after 6 for an additional Cha to fire damage at Warlock 6, and go gonzo with fire based spells?

Sure it takes 12 levels to come online, but Cha*2 to a fire based spell is pretty nifty, you get two level 3 Warlock slots to fuel Metamagic with, and get some extra cantrips and self healing, including the (now best for you due to Cha to radiant as well) damage cantrip that uses a save you can choose from.

Call yourself the Divine Dragon.

Trey Bright
2017-11-20, 04:49 PM
Why not just go with a Fire-based Draconic Sorcerer origin mixed with Celestial Warlock? Take Elemental Adept at level 4. MC into Celestial Warlock at some point after 6 for an additional Cha to fire damage at Warlock 6, and go gonzo with fire based spells?

Sure it takes 12 levels to come online, but Cha*2 to a fire based spell is pretty nifty, you get two level 3 Warlock slots to fuel Metamagic with, and get some extra cantrips and self healing, including the (now best for you due to Cha to radiant as well) damage cantrip that uses a save you can choose from.

Call yourself the Divine Dragon.

Oh my freaking gosh! That sounds awesome! Does it matter which pact you go with? Blade, Chain, or Tome? And which race? Do you think Teifiling? Or Fire Gensai?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-20, 05:12 PM
Not entirely sure if you get to add your Cha mod twice to Fire damage spells if you double down with Draconic Sorcerer and Celestial Warlock..
If so, sweet. Might make it sorta useful.
If not.. well, it was worth a shot?
You can still burn stuff with righteous fury, I suppose.

Mikal
2017-11-20, 07:16 PM
Oh my freaking gosh! That sounds awesome! Does it matter which pact you go with? Blade, Chain, or Tome? And which race? Do you think Teifiling? Or Fire Gensai?

You can go any pact. The cha to fire and radiant comes from your Patron, not pact.
If you wanna go Tiefling to double down on fire I say go for it.

Not entirely sure if you get to add your Cha mod twice to Fire damage spells if you double down with Draconic Sorcerer and Celestial Warlock..
If so, sweet. Might make it sorta useful.
If not.. well, it was worth a shot?
You can still burn stuff with righteous fury, I suppose.

You can, or if using like Scorching Ray you can double up on a single ray or split it amongst two, or for GFB have double cha on one target, single on the other, or even triple cha on the secondary...
Per Xanathar's if two abilities give the same benefit but have different names, they stack.
If two abilities are exactly the same including name, you take the best benefit.

COMBINING DIFFERENT EFFECTS
Different game effects can affect a target at the same
time. For example, two different benefits can give you
a bonus to your Armor Class. But when two or more
effects have the same proper name, only one of them
(the most powerful one if their benefits aren’t identical)
applies while the durations of the effects overlap

As Celestial Warlock and Draconic Sorcerer Cha to fire come from two different abilities with different names... enjoy that double cha to your fireballs.
Especially since you don't get the benefit for both until level 12, and doing so kills high level spell progression on the Sorcerer side.

Avigor
2017-11-20, 09:22 PM
Me, I greatly prefer Phoenix Sorcerers over the other types. Granted, it needs Elemental Adept to deal with fire resistance (and can't do jack against fire immunity), but still I like it a lot more. I really wish they'd put it in Xanathar's...

As for race, Fire Genasi has the racial produce flame, which while weaker is technically the only fire cantrip that allows you to walk around with a ball of flame in your hand, and their heads can be described as naturally, continuously on freaking fire (like a Charmander's tail), while the Tiefling, with the racial feat, is mechanically stronger, making for quite the debate between awesome and power. Granted, the Tiefling's SCAG special description options can be used to make them pretty awesome too (smell of brimstone, no shadow), but I dunno... The best option, IMO, would be to give the Fire Genasi something akin to the Tiefling's feat.

Trey Bright
2017-11-21, 02:12 AM
You can go any pact. The cha to fire and radiant comes from your Patron, not pact.
If you wanna go Tiefling to double down on fire I say go for it.

You can, or if using like Scorching Ray you can double up on a single ray or split it amongst two, or for GFB have double cha on one target, single on the other, or even triple cha on the secondary...
Per Xanathar's if two abilities give the same benefit but have different names, they stack.
If two abilities are exactly the same including name, you take the best benefit.

As Celestial Warlock and Draconic Sorcerer Cha to fire come from two different abilities with different names... enjoy that double cha to your fireballs.
Especially since you don't get the benefit for both until level 12, and doing so kills high level spell progression on the Sorcerer side.

Intersting! I would definitely go blade then to make yourself a little more versatile. Imagine a warrior getting up in your face with his sword, then you just pull one out of thin air and square off. That would be awesome! Also, if you go high dex high cha as you two main stats, with your nat armor from draconic bloodline, you wouldn't be that bad of a warrior either. HP might be an issue though... Could take tough... make con your third stat. Try and end with a 20 cha, 18 or 16 dex and a 14 con? With tough...the warlock levels will also help since they'll give you a little more hp.

Edit: Taking sorcerer to 6, warlock to 6, then finishing sorcerer off at 14 will give you a decent amount of sorcery points, spells known, and your dragon wings! Actually, you could probably talk to your DM and ask to re-flavor the wings to be angel wings given who your patron is.

Trey Bright
2017-11-21, 02:19 AM
Me, I greatly prefer Phoenix Sorcerers over the other types. Granted, it needs Elemental Adept to deal with fire resistance (and can't do jack against fire immunity), but still I like it a lot more. I really wish they'd put it in Xanathar's...

As for race, Fire Genasi has the racial produce flame, which while weaker is technically the only fire cantrip that allows you to walk around with a ball of flame in your hand, and their heads can be described as naturally, continuously on freaking fire (like a Charmander's tail), while the Tiefling, with the racial feat, is mechanically stronger, making for quite the debate between awesome and power. Granted, the Tiefling's SCAG special description options can be used to make them pretty awesome too (smell of brimstone, no shadow), but I dunno... The best option, IMO, would be to give the Fire Genasi something akin to the Tiefling's feat.

While I 100% agree with you and wish that existed, the fact remains that the gensai isn't popular enough to earn something like that *sigh* maybe next book! *crosses fingers* I wasn't too impressed with the phoniex soul sorcerer. Don't ask me why, I just didn't really jive with it. Maybe it was because I'd already seen the pyromancer from Plane Shift. They get the ability to treat immunity like resistance, and eat up resistance. They also gain immunity to fire.

Kastomere
2017-11-28, 02:50 PM
My friend likes the following idea:
Sorc with Red Dragon ancestor to get Cha bonus to fire spells
Warlock with Celestial patron for additional bonus (though it's much less now with the official release :'l ) and eldritch blast
Then 2 levels of the UA Wizard subclass (Believe it's called the savant? I'll look into it later and edit) so that you can change the damage type of eldritch blast to fire. Then, the bonus damage from sorcerer applies to each bolt. Stack that with agonizing blast, and you've got +10 on each bolt already. Now, ready for the funnest part? Pick up magic missile. Never misses unless shielded and scales with higher levels. Each bolt gets +10. You get a hell of a lot of guaranteed damage that way. Real nice to get out of bad fights. You can also change other spells' damage types too so that every spell is a fire spell.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-28, 05:11 PM
I would add Mystic if you are allowing it. Specifically for Mastery of Fire, as the psychic focus adds on an additional 2 damage. And as Mystic is pretty versatile it wouldn't be a bad dip or even a focus for a pyromancer. Grab Wu-Jen and Mastery of Force, Fire and one other and you are good to go unless you want more out of the class.

Tiefling is good pick for racial feat plus stats line up.

I might do, Celestial Warlock 6/ Dragon Sorcerer 6/ Wu Jen Mystic 3

Then just focus on one of the classes to finish out.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-28, 05:13 PM
My friend likes the following idea:
Sorc with Red Dragon ancestor to get Cha bonus to fire spells
Warlock with Celestial patron for additional bonus (though it's much less now with the official release :'l ) and eldritch blast
Then 2 levels of the UA Wizard subclass (Believe it's called the savant? I'll look into it later and edit) so that you can change the damage type of eldritch blast to fire. Then, the bonus damage from sorcerer applies to each bolt. Stack that with agonizing blast, and you've got +10 on each bolt already. Now, ready for the funnest part? Pick up magic missile. Never misses unless shielded and scales with higher levels. Each bolt gets +10. You get a hell of a lot of guaranteed damage that way. Real nice to get out of bad fights. You can also change other spells' damage types too so that every spell is a fire spell.

yeah that wizard subclass has been scrapped. Wizards took the ideas and tried with the War Wizard, then that got changed to the Battle Mage in Xanathars