PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Bard?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-20, 04:24 PM
Mkay. So I think I'm going to play a Lizardfolk Bard in an upcoming game, working with the basic idea of the idea of the guy as a tribal shaman and storyteller. What can I say? I love lizard-dudes, and I particularly enjoy playing them against type. I've done the smart-lizard-monster thing before, so I might as well give the charismatic one a shot. That said, it's not the best type combination, what with the abilities not terribly lining up with things, and I've got a few particular image-type constraints, so I thought it would be nice to get some feedback.

(Speaking of, my constraints: I want a Dex-focused build, because I feel like wrapping myself in platemail will lose too much of the essential lizard-ness, and I want to be in melee as much as possible. I'm not particularly enthused about being face-y; I actually asked about switching casting stats to Wis, but got turned down)

The game is starting at level 3, with a free bonus feat at 1st. All books but no UA, as far as I know. My current plan is a Lizardfolk Blades Bard 3, with Str 8/Dex 15/Con 16/Int 8/Wis 11/Cha 15 after adjustments. Next level I'll use my ASI to bump up Dex and Cha and be approximately on track for primary abilities. With an Outlander type background and the Lizardfolk stuff, I'll have take proficiency in Acrobatics, Athletics, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival, with Expertise probably in Athletics and Nature (to make up for low ability scores). Part of me continues to be fond of a Monk dip for more interesting Dex options (spear-and-bite would be awesome), but I can't justify delaying Extra Attack more than it already is, to say nothing of spells and Inspiration's short-rest upgrade.

Feat-wise, I'm kind of stuck. Part of me wants to nab a half-feat to bump up one of those three odd scores, but none of the options really enthuse me. Maaaybe Observant; Actor is good but doesn't fit the shaman imagery, Athlete is mediocre, Weapon Master is pretty useless to me, and Resilient is boring AND redundant for Dex and Cha. (I guess I could maybe drop Con to 15 and grab Resilient Con, which I guess would be nice for a front-liner, but still a bit dull). For more interesting options, I guess...

Observant is still a contender, I guess. It rounds off an odd ability score I care about, fits the character and is by no means bad to have around.
Dual Wielder is solid for TWF, though I'm not a big fan of rapiers thematically (anyone have a good refluffed option?) and I kind of doubt the DM will care too much about the drawing-weapons action. The +1 AC is nice, I guess.
Defensive Duelist sounds fun to have, and Bards aren't big on reactions.
Inspiring Leader is good for any high-Cha type, and fits the character pretty well.
Lucky is... generic, and arguably overpowered, but I really like having the mental security blanket the rerolls give you.
War Caster? The save boost is nice, but Bards don't really have good cantrips to use with the AoOs and College of Blades let me sidestep the components bit.

Thoughts? Please, I'm crippled by indecision :p

Chugger
2017-11-20, 04:41 PM
Magic Init and get EB, so you have a cantrip that damages? Or are you going range weapon/rapier.

Do you want to DW? If so you need the feat and maybe a one-dip in fighter to do this well, to dual wield. Also it probably helps you w/ that hungry jaws thing.

Or so you wanna use a shield? Shield master with expertise in athletics is not a bad option, except it eats your bonus action.

I dunno - sometimes making these choices is maddening. You'll be playing and hitting a moment when the thing you didn't pick would be "so right" for the moment - and then later the thing you did pick will come in very handy.

mephnick
2017-11-20, 04:46 PM
My first choices for free feats are almost always Alert or Mobile. Mobile means you can save your defensive flourishes for when you really need them a bit. Movement speed and dashing over difficult terrain are good bonuses. Alert is Alert. Good for a wise warrior type not to be surprised and seem prepared for combat.

Unoriginal
2017-11-20, 05:06 PM
Can't really give mechanic advice, at least not right now, but I wanted to point out a Lizardfolk Bard is funny because as a Lizardfolk, they're an emotionless, utilitarian pragmatic.

Personally I would fluff that as your PC being some kind of manager/music producer who understand that other beings seek entertainment, but not really understanding *why*.

I've done the smart-lizard-monster thing before, so I might as well give the charismatic one a shot.

[...]

I'm not particularly enthused about being face-y; I actually asked about switching casting stats to Wis, but got turned down

I'm confused, I must say.

Do you want to be Charismatic, or do you just want to try out the Bard-Lizardfolk combo?

Droodicus
2017-11-20, 05:29 PM
I feel it'd fit well with a sociopath type of mindset where the lizardfolk has learnt how to manipulate emotional cues to best advantage whilst having none of those cues himself.

krugaan
2017-11-20, 05:35 PM
Deekin flashbacks...

Unoriginal
2017-11-20, 05:41 PM
I feel it'd fit well with a sociopath type of mindset where the lizardfolk has learnt how to manipulate emotional cues to best advantage whilst having none of those cues himself.

The difference is that a sociopath has no empathy (or at least, is potrayed like that in fiction) while the Lizardfolk has no emotion.

TV sociopaths do have emotions, and can understand others' feelings, they just can't feel "for" others. A Lizardfolk would be able to understand people react to X in Y way and see the pattern in their behavior, but they would have no reference for feelings, so to speak (aside from "they think it's a beneficial situation to be in"/"they think it is an unfavorable situation to be in").

Though apparently the Lizardfolk do have a sense of enjoyment, or at least they get that some things are tasty, so they can probably get that others have the same sensation for entertainment.

Still, could be fun to have someone who see entertainment as only a business one can calculate with pragmatism and handle it with logic.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-20, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the roleplaying suggestions, but I feel fairly good about that side of things. Like I mentioned in my original post, the idea is to have been a shaman-type, maintaining an oral tradition of stories and songs that contain the compiled wisdom of the tribe. Their value lies not in the aesthetics of the pieces, but the message. Not in the events of the past, but in the lessons.

<stuff>
College of Swords (got the name wrong, sorry), gives Dueling or TWF combat style, but not shields-- so no Fighter dip necessary on that front, but Shield Master would be difficult.

My first choices for free feats are almost always Alert or Mobile. Mobile means you can save your defensive flourishes for when you really need them a bit. Movement speed and dashing over difficult terrain are good bonuses. Alert is Alert. Good for a wise warrior type not to be surprised and seem prepared for combat.
Mobile is great, but my last 5e character used it extensively-- I'd rather look at a slightly different archetype. Alert is dull.

Do you want to be Charismatic, or do you just want to try out the Bard-Lizardfolk combo?
I want to be a lizard dude because I unapologetically love lizard dudes, and I think the 5e writeup has some interesting stuff in there. I want to be a Bard because I like the mix of skills, magic, and (lightly-armored) combat prowess, and most other options I was looking at failed one of those categories-- Cleric is too focused on heavy armor and doesn't have the skills (apart from Knowledge Cleric, maybe, which feels even less appropriate here), Druid can't melee well without wild shaping, and the Ranger and the 1/3 casters don't have enough magic to satisfy me.