PDA

View Full Version : Binging darkness

Scottlang
2017-11-20, 05:20 PM
I have a player playing a shadow mage, he has the ability binding dark. Now what I have read, there is no escape, besides waiting it out... I have another player who is saying it's like the spell entangle... I can't see how.

Is my player correct in saying that it is similar to entangle spell??

Psyren
2017-11-20, 05:32 PM
Without the full text of the spell we can't really judge whether it does what he says it does, where is it from?

gorfnab
2017-11-20, 05:32 PM
I have a player playing a shadow mage, he has the ability binding dark. Now what I have read, there is no escape, besides waiting it out... I have another player who is saying it's like the spell entangle... I can't see how.

Is my player correct in saying that it is similar to entangle spell??
Sources for this Shadow Mage?

If you're talking about the spell Shadow Binding from Complete Arcane/Spell Compendium, creatures that fail the save against it are entangled.

SangoProduction
2017-11-20, 05:39 PM
Sources for this Shadow Mage?

If you're talking about the spell Shadow Binding from Complete Arcane/Spell Compendium, creatures that fail the save against it are entangled.

Wow. That's like...an illusory Entangle, but spell level 3 instead of 1. I mean. That's a massive investment to try and hit a rogue. Could probably just use some tanglefoot bags instead.

Scottlang
2017-11-20, 05:45 PM
This is what it says:

As a standard action, you cast a weave of shadows at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The shadows entangle your foe for 1 round plus 1 additional round for every five wizard levels you possess. In conditions of bright light, this duration is halved (minimum 1 round). A creature entangled by your shadows has concealment from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness, and other creatures likewise have concealment relative to it. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.

Sir Chuckles
2017-11-20, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it Entangles things. That much is clear.

Where's the disconnect to where you believe it can't be escaped?

Mehangel
2017-11-20, 06:01 PM
Yeah, it Entangles things. That much is clear.

Where's the disconnect to where you believe it can't be escaped?

I mean, technically, entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) is a condition (which doesn't inherently come with a DC to escape via Escape Artist or Strength checks).