PDA

View Full Version : Optimization mountain dwarf war wizard, because screw those dainty elves and their stupid "exclusi

Foxhound438
2017-11-20, 05:29 PM
ve bladesinger magical tradition".

So with the title out of the way, here's the build:

Point buy (post racial) 15/10/17/15/10/8

roll for starting gold rather than taking default equipment, and take noble as your background. This should put you at about 125 gold on average, or 65 at worst. buy scale mail for 50GP to have 14AC out the gate, all the time, no mage armor required, and use a cheapo 5GP staff, and of course you'll need to shell out another 50GP for the spellbook. If you roll poorly on gold, you can take hide armor for 12 AC, which is poor, but you just have to survive long enough to get through your first job to get decent armor.

At level 4, you should have cash for half plate to make your AC 15 for the time, and you can use your ASI to get con/int up to even numbers. Level 8 pick up heavily armored for AC 18, and even off strength to 16. ASI's at 12 and 16 max int, and 19 probably is taking war caster or something.

War mage gives you the neat free mini-shield, which puts your AC at a pretty good spot. You do have the downside of not being able to cast levelled spells on the turn after, but the war wizard is in fact all about having long duration, concentration spells active rather than throwing a new fireball ever 6 seconds. So fill your spell list with things like flaming sphere and storm sphere, and cast booming blades and green flame blades with your action.

So how does this compare to bladesinger, you may ask?

Well, first off, your AC is actually probably a bit worse most of the time. You start out with 14 and can pump to 16 for one attack every round, while the singer starts with 16 (probably) and can boost to 19 twice per day. Moving up in levels a bunch here, at level 8 you can have an AC of 18 all the time, and can go to 20 once per round, while the bladesinger is at 18 all the time and can boost to 21 twice per day. You do gain the edge at level 10, where singers are at the same AC and you have an extra +2 if you have a concentration spell up.

Note that both can boost by another 2 if they want with haste, but neither would most of the time. Even with the boosts to concentration that both can get from their abilities, losing a turn is a very big disincentive for classes that go into melee with no native con save proficiency.

Also note that while the bladesinger can cast shield, so can the war wizard. Anything you can do I can do... about the same, honestly.

Damage wise, both get damage boosts at level 6 and 14. Bladesinger's is arguably a better feature, since it's free and resource independant, but war wizard can still get a slight at-will boost by using SCAG cantrips (so long as you aren't in PHB+1 land), and while the increase in damage from power surge is both resource dependant and initially pretty minimal, it can do a lot of extra work if you have plenty of opportunities to get charges. At 14th level, the bladesinger gets + int mod to damage (+4 on at most 3 attacks), while war wizard gets to do damage=lvl against up to 3 targets, no roll required.

In addition to those features, both are probably pretty eager to use tenser's transformation, and we're already going over PHB+1 on the war wizard, so we'll give transform to bladesinger as well.

So just for comparison, let's look at a level 14 comparison of these two's damage output:

Bladesinger: attack, extra attack, bonus action 2wf, using shortswords or scimitars; weapon, dex mod, int mod, transform die:

1d6+5+4+2d12+1d6+5+4+2d12+1d6+4+2d12 = 71.5 DPR

War wizard: attack, transform attack, bonus action 2wf, using hand axes from dwarven proficiencies, deflecting shroud vs. 1 target; weapon, str mod, transform.

1d6+3+2d12+1d6+3+2d12+1d6+2d12+14 = 69.5 DPR, or 76.5 with a surge

Very comparable already, add an extra target for deflecting shroud and you get much more damage off the dwarf.

and for another comparison, at level 7, since a lot of campaigns end well before L14. Give both a spell to cast to boost their damage.

bladesinger: 3rd level shadow blade, extra attack, bonus action 2wf with shortsword:

3d8+4+3d8+4+1d6 = 38.5

war wizard: green flame blade, storm sphere bolt, storm sphere on turn hit:

1d6+2+1d8+4d6+2d6 = 31, or 34 if you use a surge; single target in both cases, so no extra 2d8 from GFB.

In that case the bladesinger is quite a lot ahead, mostly on the back of shadow blade being so good. Note that I ran the calc at level 6 as well, and... let's just say flaming sphere is pretty bad by comparison, at least if you don't have an enemy trapped such that it takes damage at the end of its turn in addition to when you ram it.

Anyways, so the AC is pretty comparable, the damage is pretty comparable, the con save for concentration is much better for war wizard mostly due to the higher starting con, and war wizard's HP is a lot better for the same reason. It's possibly a little bit of a rocky road starting with +2 in both of your primary stats, but in 5e that's pretty acceptable.

As an added note, it's probably slightly mechanically better to start with like 15 dex, 16 con, 15 int and using medium armor forever, saving you a feat to get heavy armor, but a 10 str mountain dwarf is a bit... odd, and the point is that a dwarven war wizard would probably be giving bladesingers crap about how dainty they are, so high str+high con just seems to fit the bill a little better.

Lombra
2017-11-20, 05:40 PM
What about first level in fighter? CON saves and heavy armor from the start, plus the fighting style (probably defense). Or war cleric, seems a fitting dip for a war wizard, this way you don't give up slots but lose the con save proficiency (offset by the war wizard abilities).

Foxhound438
2017-11-20, 05:48 PM
What about first level in fighter? CON saves and heavy armor from the start, plus the fighting style (probably defense). Or war cleric, seems a fitting dip for a war wizard, this way you don't give up slots but lose the con save proficiency (offset by the war wizard abilities).

while it would certainly do the job, you're still permanently behind a level of spell progression in either case. You still have the slots with cleric at least, but you're behind a usable spell level half the time.

RazDelacroix
2017-11-20, 06:01 PM
I am now inspired to make for my campaign, an order of rough and awesome dwarven spellsingers. They FORGE THEIR SPELLBOOKS FROM MOLTEN STEEL! They take their hammers and RIP THE RUNES OF ARCANE KNOWHATS AND DRIVE IT INTO THEIR TOMES! Their dancing? THEY DANCE WITH CAST IRON HIGH-HEELS! LIKE MEN! WITH THE BELLS!

Foxhound438
2017-11-22, 01:55 AM
I am now inspired to make for my campaign, an order of rough and awesome dwarven spellsingers. They FORGE THEIR SPELLBOOKS FROM MOLTEN STEEL! They take their hammers and RIP THE RUNES OF ARCANE KNOWHATS AND DRIVE IT INTO THEIR TOMES! Their dancing? THEY DANCE WITH CAST IRON HIGH-HEELS! LIKE MEN! WITH THE BELLS!

that sounds too amazing to pass up

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-22, 09:15 AM
i am now inspired to make for my campaign, an order of rough and awesome dwarven spellsingers. They forge their spellbooks from molten steel! They take their hammers and rip the runes of arcane knowhats and drive it into their tomes! Their dancing? They dance with cast iron high-heels! Like men! With the bells!

you have inspired me to do this! You have put the faith in dwarves back in my heart!

RazDelacroix
2017-11-22, 10:02 AM
Remember folks, you can make ANY subclass properly dwarfy, with the appropriate dwarfy attitude! :smallsmile:

Frictorious
2017-11-25, 09:17 PM
I've been playing a mountain dwarf wizard very similar to your build for a while now, and it's a lot of fun!

I went with conjurer for utility, but probably would have done War Wizard of it was available when I created the character about a year ago. Currently level 13 with 18 CON, 16 INT, and the feats Resilient (CON) & Heavy Armor Proficiency.

At higher levels and with our group's/DM's play style, the full plate isn't as effective as I expected, but being able to magically build it with a fabricate spell in a few minutes was fun. Which, is what it's all about.

Dalebert
2017-11-25, 11:23 PM
What about hobgoblins? Seem built well for war wizard.

Foxhound438
2017-11-26, 12:26 AM

hobgoblins only get light armor, so at that point you're just about required to do that fighter 1 start. It's doable, anyways.

Ganymede
2017-11-26, 12:33 AM
What are this wizard's traits, ideal, bond, and flaw?

Nifft
2017-11-26, 12:38 AM

Why do you think every Mountain Dwarf War Wizard must have identical traits, ideal, bond, and flaw?

Foxhound438
2017-11-26, 12:56 AM

Whatever you desire, my friend. Maybe you're a dwarf that really cares about the dwarven war wizard order, and everything you do is based on that, but maybe you can't bring yourself to devote yourself to an order and you've left with all their secret techniques to go on your own adventures. Maybe you have sticky fingers, maybe you don't really stick around as soon as things go south in combat. That absolutely doesn't have to be set in stone before sitting down at session 0 to actually build.

Ganymede
2017-11-26, 01:03 AM
Whatever you desire, my friend. Maybe you're a dwarf that really cares about the dwarven war wizard order, and everything you do is based on that, but maybe you can't bring yourself to devote yourself to an order and you've left with all their secret techniques to go on your own adventures. Maybe you have sticky fingers, maybe you don't really stick around as soon as things go south in combat. That absolutely doesn't have to be set in stone before sitting down at session 0 to actually build.

I might have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were sharing your character.

Foxhound438
2017-11-26, 02:47 AM
I might have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were sharing your character.

No, this was more or less just a fun unorthodox build idea that I came up with on a walk.

Tanarii
2017-11-26, 03:08 AM
At level 4, you should have cash for half plate to make your AC 15 for the time, and you can use your ASI to get con/int up to even numbers. Level 8 pick up heavily armored for AC 18, and even off strength to 16. ASI's at 12 and 16 max int, and 19 probably is taking war caster or something.I don't have anything to contribute to the build, which looks good, except to point out that you're getting generous loot if you can afford half plate before you find your first Tier 2 horde. And even then you might need to bank 500 gp for a raise dead. I mean it's only a one to one-and-a-half level difference. I'm just nitpicking because I see assumptions about loot that don't match the DMG tables a fair amount for HP & FP. (This goes out the window if you're a Smith and have the downtime to craft you're own.)

Also why drop 750 gp when you're going to turn around and drop 1500 just a few levels later? Is +1 AC really worth that?

Arkhios
2017-11-26, 07:13 AM

In our setting, War Magic tradition originated from Hobgoblins, for obvious reasons.

Throne12
2017-11-26, 09:28 AM
hobgoblins only get light armor, so at that point you're just about required to do that fighter 1 start. It's doable, anyways.

I'm playing a hobgoblin war wizard urchin. I'm playing him as a pseudo rogue. I cast dragons breath on my owl familiar and then use spell sniper my whip and booming blade. With a high dex and high int I'm going first in combat most of the time.