PDA

View Full Version : help with a build- warlock/fighter

kenposan
2017-11-21, 02:07 AM
I like the concept of the warlock, but I love me a good sword too. Since a bladelock is a bit squishy for me, I was thinking going warlock 2/EK X. I still get some warlock love but end up a much stronger melee build.

As warlock, I'll only have thee, 1st level spells that will only ever scale to 2nd level, and want the best bang for my buck so to speak. I'm thinking of taking ritual caster (wizard) to pick up comp. lang etc. down the road.

What are your recommendations?

I'm currently thinking Hex [the time scales, but not the effect], Hellish rebuke [loses a lot at higher levels but seems like a good reaction opportunity], and... expeditious retreat? unseen servant? I'm kind of lost from there.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-11-21, 02:28 AM
Hey!

My recommendation is actually to go for Warlock 2/Paladin X because of Charisma synergy, both with casting stat and the amazing Aura of Protection Paladins get at 6th level (and, optionally, the Aura of Hate from Oathbreaker, if you can go that route), as well as the synergy between Divine Smite and short rest recovery spell slots. If you are going Hexblade (which is the best “dip Warlock” because Hexblade’s Curse scales with proficiency and Hex Warrior scales with your Charisma modifier), then you are getting from Charisma alone:

- Your attack bonus;
- Weapon damage (x2 if also Oathbreaker);
- All saving throws;
- Spell attack rolls and save DCs;
- Spell damage on Eldritch Blast

If you go this route, Hellish Rebuke is built into Oathbreaker’s spell list, so don’t bother. Instead, I’d go Hex, Shield, and Charm Person or some other non-combat spell Paladin doesn’t get.

If you still prefer Eldritch Knight, you can get Hellish Rebuke instead of Shield.

solidork
2017-11-21, 09:19 AM
If you're interested in rituals, I'd take a third level in Warlock and pick Tome and Book of Ancient Secrets, which will let you get rituals from every class. That also gets you second level spells and a bunch of utility cantrips. I'm actually currently playing a Celestial Tomelock 3 / Eldritch Knight 5 that uses Shillelagh to attack with Charisma, and while I'm not a damage powerhouse I bring a ton of utility to the table with a bunch of rituals, cantrips, healing and a solid set of defensive options to protect myself.

If you go with Hexblade, I'd consider taking Wrathful Smite as one of your spells. Fear is a strong debuff, and unlike most things they have to spend their entire action for a turn to even attempt to get out of it. I've never tried it in game, but I've always wanted to.

Edit: I didn't go Paladin for flavor reasons. Like other people will say, Paladin is a strong combo with levels in Warlock.

Byke
2017-11-21, 09:26 AM
Lock 2/EK 7+ works really well as a ranged machine gun. (you can still use a sword if you want to),with an Xbow and Sharpshooter.

2d10 EB + 2d6 hex + 10 Char + 1d10 Xbow + 1d6 Hex + 15 (SS + des). At level 9....after 9 add Rogue to bump up your damage more.

Joe dirt
2017-11-21, 10:16 AM
I like the concept of the warlock, but I love me a good sword too. Since a bladelock is a bit squishy for me, I was thinking going warlock 2/EK X. I still get some warlock love but end up a much stronger melee build.

As warlock, I'll only have thee, 1st level spells that will only ever scale to 2nd level, and want the best bang for my buck so to speak. I'm thinking of taking ritual caster (wizard) to pick up comp. lang etc. down the road.

What are your recommendations?

I'm currently thinking Hex [the time scales, but not the effect], Hellish rebuke [loses a lot at higher levels but seems like a good reaction opportunity], and... expeditious retreat? unseen servant? I'm kind of lost from there.

it was already mentioned go paladin/warlock because of charisma and more spells but besides that i would go 3 levels into warlock and go pact of chain, u get a familiar that u can use to add the help action and give u advantage on attack rolls plus most of these improved familiars are excellent scouts and would really add some utility or go blade pact and 5 levels of warlock for 3rd level spell access and add charisma to attacks, either way u will never out melee a pure melee build

kenposan
2017-11-21, 06:12 PM
Some good ideas here. I really like Weapon Bond from the EK, but going Pally is an interesting consideration. So maybe Warlock 3/Pally X?

Lonely Tylenol
2017-11-21, 10:06 PM
Some good ideas here. I really like Weapon Bond from the EK, but going Pally is an interesting consideration. So maybe Warlock 3/Pally X?

I’d say the weapon bond is only really worthwhile if you were going for an unconventional build. If you want a Greatsword Paladin, or Longbow Paladin... Sure. Blade Pact gets you Cha on those, and you get some other good stuff there, too (your slots become 2nd-level slots, you can take Improved Pact Weapon if you think you’ve got a stingy DM, etc). But, it’s not worth pushing extra attack all the way to level 8, so consider going 1-2 levels of Warlock (depending on how much you want Eldritch Blast + Agonizing), then 5-6 levels of Paladin (grabbing at least Extra Attack and Aura of Protection), then more Warlock levels.

Chugger
2017-11-21, 11:13 PM
Hexb also opens up the possibility of using cha to strike with weapons and the Elven Accuracy feat - and you lose madness (but not for barb, unless yer dex barb, as I learned the hard way in another recent thread :smallbiggrin: ).

Just make sure a Cha-driven attack roll works with the rest of what you're planning. A 1-dip in hexb is all you need, and you get EB to make decent range shots. Oh, just getting cha-driven attack rolls is pretty good all by itself. But Elv Ac - which lets you roll a 3d d20 on adv hit rolls - you need to figure how you're going to get advantage all the time on attack rolls. Darkness + devils sight? A wolf totem barb partner? Samurai (only 3 turns per short rest iirc).

Snowbluff
2017-11-21, 11:59 PM
I would say go with the 7 EK, grabbing extra attack, and Crossbow master. Your attack sequence being EB into a weapon attack. If you use XGtE, I tihnk hexblade has a smite 1/round as an invocation, so that can be used on your weapon hit.

As for other spells, I like Darkness with Devil''s sight as a defensive option.

I'm currently running through this at low level. Having your fighter level first for the con save is super nice.

Chugger
2017-11-22, 12:19 AM
EK's are said to make very good tanks. If you play AL try to get the Headband of Intellect - most people don't want it - it's really only good for EK or arcane trickster (cuz it stops at 19 - wizzes wanna go 20).

At least two tier one adventures drop it (siege of parnast is one, and it's also an awesome module - tons of fun).

Make sure you take Shield and now Absorb Elements. Makes you very defensive.

The main prob with an EK is how do you dish out damage? Your evo spells are way behind everyone else. And you'll wanna save your lvl 1 slots for shield and absorb elements. You can go the scag cantrip way - discussed at length in older threads - but in AL you can't use scag cantrips and new spells from xgte, like absorb elements. If you're not AL don't worry.

An EK's main trick is to get that lvl 9 or so (is it 10?) ability to impose a disad on an enemy's save. Then hit them with hold person or hold monster - surge - and mega crit - while your team crits too. Are you okay with not dishing out tons of damage but being kind of hard to kill? With high AC, shield and abs. elements (and maybe the shield master feat), you are on the hard-to-kill side. So is a well-played bear barb.