PDA

View Full Version : Dragontouched [Race]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-19, 04:20 AM
Dragontouched
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/draco_gallery/75623.jpg
Marcus Steele, a silver dragontouched

Dragons, like outsiders of all typed are very magical creatures, so their descendants can be tracked through many other races. Sometimes their blood is completely deluded in the blood of the 'lesser' races, but sometimes the dragons blood stands out and dominated. Dragontouched are humanoid races with overpowering dragon blood flowing within them.
Usually, dragontouched show slight signs of their heritage, such as scales, horns, sharp teeth and massive figures. But many of them show very obvious signs of draconic heritage, such as long tails, bodies covered in scales and even vestigial wings. More often than not, a dragontouched is an outcast in it's society but due to their natural charisma some become leaders of their communities if not simply outstanding citizens.
Good dragontouched often wander the world doing good in whatever way they see fit or how their law says it best. Evil dragontouched tend to enjoy demeaning or destroying to gain treasure for themselves. Nuetral dragontouched are very rare, but still exist and often wander along the path of life simply trying to be content.
Like their dragon ancestors, dragontouched have a taste for treasure hoards and often keep their own. Some dragontouched even dine on it now and then if they think they can afford their fill. Good dragontouched tend to gain their hoard through claims to it found in dungeons and evil dragons tend to steal and kill for theirs. It's needless to say, an adventuring dragontouched with a portable hole of treasure is often the happiest.

Sample Dragontouched
Dragontouched Warrior 1
Medium Dragon
Soon to come!

Dragontouched as Characters

+2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Dex. Dragontouched are tough, sociable and intimidating though not as dextrous as their humanoid cousins.
Dragon Type: Dragontouched have the dragon type.
Medium Size
Darkvision: Dragontouched can see in the dark out to 60 feet.
Low-light vision: Dragontouched can see twice as far as humans in dim lights, such as torches and starlight.
Racial Skill: Dragontouched have a +2 bonus on three specific skills depending on their draconic ancestor.

Black: Hide, Move Silently, Swim
Blue: Bluff, Hide, Spellcraft
Brass: Bluff, Gather Information, Survival
Bronze: Disguise, Swim, Survival
Copper: Bluff, Hide, Jump
Gold: Disguise, Heal, Swim
Green: Bluff, Hide, Move Silently
Red: Appraise, Bluff, Jump
Silver: Bluff, Disguise, Jump
White: Hide, Move Silently, Swim

Special Attacks: Breath Weapon (Su): Each type of dragontouched has their own type of breath weapon usable once per day as a standard action which deals 1d6 points of damage plus 1d6 for every 3 levels beyond first. Creatures caught in the line may make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) for half damage. Dragontouched qualify for the Dragon Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dragon_Breath,all) feat as though they were half dragons.

Black: 30 ft. line of acid
Blue: 30 ft. line of lightning
Brass: 30 ft. line of fire
Bronze: 30 ft. line of lightning
Copper: 30 ft. line of acid
Gold: 15 ft. cone of fire
Green: 15 ft. cone of corrosive gas(acid)
Red: 15 ft. cone of fire
Silver: 15 ft. cone of cold
White: 15 ft. cone of cold

Special Qualities: Energy Resistance: Each dragontouched type has resistance 10 to the same energy type dealt by their breath weapon.
Feats: Dragontouched gain Draconic Heritage (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Heritage,all) as a bonus feat, even if they don't qualify for it. The type of benefits gained from the feat are based on the draconic ancestor chosen at 1st level.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonues Languages: Any(except for secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +1

Wolfman42666
2007-08-19, 06:20 AM
Can I say awesome strongly enough?

I like it and I can see how sorcery fits in, but do the wings have to be vestigial?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-19, 11:01 AM
Can I say awesome strongly enough?

I like it and I can see how sorcery fits in, but do the wings have to be vestigial?

Flight would probably boost the LA up too much for what I was going for.

knightsaline
2007-08-19, 08:06 PM
"Whats so special about being dragontouched? Every time I go into the Brass Dorms, I get dragontouched" Miallee, unaware that "dragontouched" has another meaning

JackMage666
2007-08-19, 08:12 PM
Wings with a fly speed of 30 ft, poor or clumsy manueverability (like that of a larger dragon), would give it an extra +1 LA, but contribute nicely to flavor.

I say bad manueverabilities, because, honestly, a human-like body with wings wouldn't be great for flying. Also, fluff wise, an adult human is full grown, and an Ancient dragon is fully grown. So, Dragons fly better when small, Humanoids might fly better as infants, but lose precision in it as their body grows (though still retaining the ability, basically.)
Don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me.

Goober4473
2007-08-19, 09:32 PM
The menueverability reduction isn't due to age. It's due to size, and humans are Medium. But humans aren't built for flying.

JackMage666
2007-08-19, 09:39 PM
The menueverability reduction isn't due to age. It's due to size, and humans are Medium. But humans aren't built for flying.

Yeah, but size is usually controlled by age, in most creatures, so there's also a corrolation there.
Adult Human = Full Grown
Ancient Dragon + Full Grown

Humans also start smaller than most dragons (though there are some exceptions), so it could be said that the Gargantuan is our Medium, in a way.

Yeah, told ya it may not make sense.

brian c
2007-08-19, 11:14 PM
Yeah, but size is usually controlled by age, in most creatures, so there's also a corrolation there.
Adult Human = Full Grown
Ancient Dragon + Full Grown

Humans also start smaller than most dragons (though there are some exceptions), so it could be said that the Gargantuan is our Medium, in a way.

Yeah, told ya it may not make sense.

There is a correlation, but if you read the general description for dragons in the MM (or SRD), and look at the part about flying, you'll see that it's explicitly linked to size, and not to age. A dragon can go up an age category and keep the same fly maneuverability, but any time it's size increase it loses maneuverability.

The Demented One
2007-08-19, 11:22 PM
Ooh, very nice. Much better than those friggin' spellscales...also, since they're all dragon-y, and have Sorcerer as their favored class, have you considered giving them Draconic Heritage (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Heritage,all) as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the normal requirements?

"Whats so special about being dragontouched? Every time I go into the Brass Dorms, I get dragontouched" Miallee, unaware that "dragontouched" has another meaning
Sigil Prep. Yes.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-19, 11:25 PM
Ooh, very nice. Much better than those friggin' spellscales...also, since they're all dragon-y, and have Sorcerer as their favored class, have you considered giving them Draconic Heritage (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Heritage,all) as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the normal requirements?

I dig that idea. Done.

The Demented One
2007-08-19, 11:27 PM
Oh, and to go off topic, remember that idea I had (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54338) in the martial feats thread? Done.

JackMage666
2007-08-20, 12:50 AM
I'd recommend getting rid of Draconic Heritage, as it allows them to qualify for the rest of the Draconic Feats as well, even though they are very Sorcerer related, and could spell trouble for other casters, like Wizards.

Also, if they use the Dragon-blooded racial substitutions (Dragons qualify for them as well) in Races of the Dragon, they get it as a bonus feat their first level of sorcerer (as well as some skill bonuses), in place of a familiar.

Overall, the feat itself doesn't do too much, but it is a gateway feat for more powerful feats they wouldn't normally have access to. I'd strongly recommend against it.

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-25, 11:37 AM
Don't give them Draconic heritage as a bonus feat, instead look into Dragon magic. It has a feat named (appropriately), Dragontouched. Not as game breaking as Draconic heritage, now instead of being able to take many draconic feats, now they can take draconic feats as a sorcerer of their character level. Cheese for the entire party!

Although it might be slightly broken in the long run (now I can get draconic legacy's) it fits slightly better in my opinion.

Gpope
2009-11-25, 12:37 PM
You guys realize that the Dragontouched feat allows anyone with any kind of dragon-themed race to get Draconic Heritage and all the draconic feats they want without needing any sorcerer levels, right? I'm not sure how exactly a wizard would break the game with draconic feats in any way that they're not breaking it already, but all Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat does is let them break it slightly faster. (Also note that most of the draconic feats have a sorcerer level prerequisite, so they need both Draconic Heritage and Dragontouched--it doesn't matter which one they get as a bonus feat.)

Ashtagon
2009-11-25, 12:48 PM
This is borderline LA +2. Quick analysis...

Ability modifiers: Pretty good modifiers for tank types and Charisma classes. Not heavily optimised for sorcerer (although still nice). Could make a decent bard.

Dragon type: Free immunity to sleep, paralysis, charm person and charm monster spells, plus a ton of other enchantment spells. What's not to like?

darkvision: Pretty standard for most races to have this or lowlight vision.

Racial Skills: fairly ordinary stuff, but it's a bit random.

Breath weapon: Its fairly low damage, short range, and daily. Not really significant in the balance stakes.

Energy resistance: At 10 points, this is a biggie. You can't get this with a feat, ever.

Feats: And a bonus feat. Ok, you can't choose it, but it synergies nicely with your favoured class.

Gpope
2009-11-25, 01:40 PM
Energy resistance: At 10 points, this is a biggie. You can't get this with a feat, ever.

Some people can. Heritage feats or various Shape Soulmeld options.

Compare this to Aasimar, which isn't exactly an overwhelmingly optimal option for LA +1. It too gets good ability modifiers (even better ones, arguably), good energy resistances (I'd much rather have resist 5 to three types than resist 10 to one), and good skill bonuses (two skills instead of three, but everybody loves Spot and Listen.)

That leaves:

-Weak breath attack vs. Daylight 1/day. Dragontouched win hands down.
-Dragon type vs. outsider type. Both good types to be; dragon has extra resistances, outsider has extra proficiencies. Outsider opens up more variety in the way of alter self cheese, though.
-Free bonus feat for dragontouched. It's a feat that dragon-themed sorcerers can sub for their familiar anyhow, though, and it's not terribly useful for anyone who's not a sorcerer.

So, yeah, they're a little bit better than aasimar. I don't think I'd call that anywhere near LA +2. There's also the question: who on earth would even dream of giving up two levels for this race?

ErrantX
2009-11-25, 01:49 PM
So, yeah, they're a little bit better than aasimar. I don't think I'd call that anywhere near LA +2. There's also the question: who on earth would even dream of giving up two levels for this race?

Agreed. At first I was thinking too strong for +1, but then I remembered Aasimar and Tiefling. I agree with Gpope.

-X

Solaris
2009-11-25, 04:16 PM
This appeals to the dragon fanboy in me. It seems like a nice, solid LA +1 race.

ErrantX
2009-11-25, 04:31 PM
The only problem with it is that it does open the door to do anything that a dragonwrought kobold can do, or dang near to it. Shenanigans must be dealt with on a DM by DM basis. But yeah, otherwise it's good.

Also, some more fluff is needed I think. And perhaps a different picture; not sure if that fits what the race is supposed to look like. I'd recommend taking a look at the race sections for printed races and reformat to look like that, filling in their headings. What's their life cycle like? Height, weight, ages? Do they age like dragons and hatch from eggs? Are their old folk strong and known as wyrms? Etc etc. Lots of things to fill in for a race. Otherwise, it's just a collection of bonuses and penalties.

-X