PDA

View Full Version : Are lore bards still the best caster bards?

Klorox
2017-11-21, 06:41 AM
I’m starting a new campaign in December, and my copy of XGTE isn’t here yet.

The DM has asked us for character sheets, and I am pretty sure I want to play a bard. I want to be the best spellcasting bard possible, and I am wondering if lore bard is still my best option.

Thank you.

Socratov
2017-11-21, 06:46 AM
Well, considering that cutting words is still awesome in enforcing your spells hit I'd say, yes; Lore Bards make the best (offensive) caster bards.

EKruze
2017-11-21, 07:47 AM
Well, considering that cutting words is still awesome in enforcing your spells hit

Cutting Words is an excellent power, great for making enemies miss and protecting your party, but be aware that it does not apply to saving throws and so is less useful than you might think in ensuring that spells connect.

There are certain spells such as Phantasmal Force that require a check in order to escape, and Cutting Words can help against those nicely.

Klorox
2017-11-22, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys.

I’m eager to see the new additions to my favorite class, but I think lore will still be my go-to.

Zene
2017-11-22, 11:01 PM
The new spells in XGE are great for lore.

rbstr
2017-11-22, 11:16 PM
Glamour is pretty great for a supporty casty bard. THP and a opportunity attack free reposition for the whole party on a bonus action for one inspiration die!
That's really good.

The level 6 feature of casting command at will as a bonus action is also pretty sweet.

miburo
2017-11-23, 12:06 AM
Echo what's said above. Lore is still the best for Casters due to extra magic secrets earlier than anybody else and the sheer versatility of Cutting Words.

Glamour is cool though, particularly if you have a more RP-focused campaign.

Snivlem
2017-12-11, 06:22 AM
I'm pondering the same choice on my bard, and I think it depends on what type of character you want to play and what your party-composition is.

The glamour inspire ability is stronger if you have a big group. If you have 4 - 5 allies you can buff with this I'd say it is a MUCH stronger ability than even cutting words. If you only have 2 allies, it is, at least, more equal in power compared to cutting words, but maybe still stronger.

3x Skills vs. The charm ability of the glamour bard is impossible to compare objectively. It depends on what you prefer. Personally I think the charm ability is better because it unique, super strong in social campaigns and you allready have jack of all trades for the skills you didn't pick at first level.

A big selling point of the lore bard is early magical secrets, but the value of this also depends on your party. If there are no other casters in the party, this ability is huge, because it lets you fill out the missing roles, so you can, for instance, pick aura of vitality and fireball at level 6 so you can put on your healerboots and aoeboots if needed, but if you already have a wizard and a cleric in the party, the value of this goes down. I'd still rate this higher than the level 6 ability of glamour bard though.

Is your campaign going to level 14 and above? If so the level 14 ability of the glamour bard far outshines what the lore bard gets.

So for instance: I my case I am the only caster in a group of 3 adventures, and I doubt we will ever see high levels, so I will probably end up going with lore bard.

TLDR: The answer to your question is no. Depending on group, campaign etc. glamour can be just as strong or even stronger in some, but not all, groups.