PDA

View Full Version : Is Ace Ventura a druid or nature cleric?

Klorox
2017-11-21, 06:53 AM
OMG, what a fun character that would be. LOL.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-21, 07:19 AM
Obviously a Beastmaster Ranger. With maybe some Nature Cleric chucked in for good measure.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-21, 07:54 AM
Obviously a Beastmaster Ranger. With maybe some Nature Cleric chucked in for good measure.

I was going to say BM Ranger with some Xanathar's Inquisitive Rogue thrown in.

N810
2017-11-21, 09:03 AM
Clearly he's a bard with nature cleric and druid spells.
and maybe some rogue levels. :smalltongue:

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-21, 09:37 AM
I was going to say BM Ranger with some Xanathar's Inquisitive Rogue thrown in.

I don't have XGtE yet (delivered today!), So I didn't know what that could add.
I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bit of Bard in him too.

Arkhios
2017-11-21, 09:45 AM
Ace Ventura doesn't exactly strike to me as either.

More like Revised Ranger (BM) + Xanathar's Inquisitive

Easy_Lee
Rogue with expertise: animal handling and investigation, but no intelligence or wisdom to speak of. Also Ritual Caster for Speak With Animals.

PeteNutButter

I came here to say he is a bard as well. Animal friendship and speak with animals are both bard spells at level 1. Any further ones he needs can be stolen with magical secrets.

Clearly talking out one's ass is a performance check...

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-21, 09:47 AM
Rogue with expertise: animal handling and investigation, but no intelligence or wisdom to speak of.

WHAT?!?! But he's the only one that discovered that Einhorn was Finkle. Finkle was Einhorn! Einhorn's a man!

Easy_Lee
2017-11-21, 09:50 AM
WHAT?!?! But he's the only one that discovered that Einhorn was Finkle. Finkle was Einhorn! Einhorn's a man!

Roll enough investigation checks with expertise and you're bound to see some ****. #human-determination

Willie the Duck
2017-11-21, 09:53 AM

Oh right. That was in that movie. Well, chalk one up for the 90s being a different era.

Anyways, I can't think of anything about AV that makes him any specific thing except someone with animal handling and detective skills (investigation and insight)--probably with expertise, since his int and wis are in the 3-9 range. He could be a rogue/lore bard, or just a vuman anything level 8 with the prodigy feat 3xs.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-21, 10:15 AM
I think we can actually build this guy as a low-level Vhuman rogue. His intelligence and wisdom suck but his charisma and dexterity aren't bad, his strength is okay, and he must have pretty high constitution to have survived some of the stuff.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-21, 10:23 AM
I think we can actually build this guy as a low-level Vhuman rogue. His intelligence and wisdom suck but his charisma and dexterity aren't bad, his strength is okay, and he must have pretty high constitution to have survived some of the stuff.

I don't know, he seems to have some supernatural abilities to befriend communicate with animals. I'm still sticking to needing at least 1 level in bard.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-21, 10:48 AM
I don't know, he seems to have some supernatural abilities to befriend communicate with animals. I'm still sticking to needing at least 1 level in bard.

That's what Vhuman is for; Ritual Caster: Speak with Animals.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-21, 10:58 AM
Sure, but at that point it becomes, "he's not a spell caster, he's just using spellcaster spells" at which point the navel gazing has gone on too long.

He's not actually any of them, he's a character in a movie. What we can say is that he has X, Y, and Z traits. And those seem to include high skill in animal handling, insight, and investigation (well in excess of what his perceived Int and Wis might suggest, so probably expertise), high tolerance for physical abuse (high hp, however that comes to be), and maybe a preternatural ability to communicate with the animals (speak with animals spell, also however that comes to be).

Arkhios
2017-11-21, 10:59 AM
I'm still advocating that Ace Ventura is at least 3rd level Revised Ranger:

Primeval Awareness
Beginning at 3rd level, your mastery of ranger lore allows you to establish a powerful link to beasts and to the land around you.
You have an innate ability to communicate with beasts, and they recognize you as a kindred spirit. Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas to a beast as an action, and can read its basic mood and intent. You learn its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs (such as food or safety), and actions you can take (if any) to persuade it to not attack.

What's better about Primeval Awareness is that it doesn't have limited amount of uses (spell slots etc.), and it's essentially same as, if not better than, speak with animals.

Plus, Speak with Animals is a ranger spell as well.

N810
2017-11-21, 11:31 AM
Don't forget his ground vehicle skills. :smalleek:

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-21, 11:34 AM
Don't forget his ground vehicle skills. :smalleek:

Folk Hero background?

Easy_Lee
2017-11-21, 11:36 AM
Folk Hero background?

Revised Ranger folk hero with Speak with Animals and Animal Friendship. Is there a feat for investigation expertise?

The Shadowdove
2017-11-21, 11:43 AM
3 bm ranger 2 rogue.
V.uman

Actor feat.

Expertise animal handling/deception.

Proficient in stealth/performance/perception/acrobatics.

High Dex/Cha.
Average str/con/wis
Low int.

Criminal/charlatan/or Urban bounty Hunter background.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-21, 11:49 AM
Revised Ranger folk hero with Speak with Animals and Animal Friendship. Is there a feat for investigation expertise?

Prodigy from XGtE should do expertise for anything.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-21, 11:53 AM
3 bm ranger 2 rogue.
V.uman

Actor feat.

Expertise animal handling/deception.

Proficient in stealth/performance/perception/acrobatics.

High Dex/Cha.
Average str/con/wis
Low int.

Criminal/charlatan/or Urban bounty Hunter background.

His constitution is high. He survived getting smacked around, bitten, buried alive, having his head banged on some drums, and two good spear throws in the same fight.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-21, 11:57 AM
His constitution is high. He survived getting smacked around, bitten, buried alive, having his head banged on some drums, and two good spear throws in the same fight.

That's hilariously correct.

RickAsWritten
2017-11-21, 12:23 PM
Can we wedge some Monk in there as well for Unarmored Defense, and because of the fact that he spent a considerable amount of time at a monastery?

He also casts Telepathy(or something similar) at one point, so I think the argument for being a spellcaster is fair.

GlenSmash!
2017-11-21, 03:38 PM
What about Totem Warrior Barbarian? It gets the right spells, and explains the superhuman durability Ace has.

Gtdead
2017-11-21, 06:32 PM
Neither. He is a really brave fool with a nature theme. I'd go with either Rogue or Bard. Probably the latter.

Vaz
2017-11-21, 06:56 PM
Warlock Tome Pact with Beast Speech

FabulousFizban
2017-11-22, 09:53 AM
ranger. he spends the whole movie tracking a dolphin

Klorox
2017-11-22, 08:46 PM
LOL, I gotta do this.