PDA

View Full Version : How to make combat more dynamic

Skyblaze
2017-11-21, 09:10 AM
First time DMing, been going for about 3 1/2 months now and going well. But how do I make it so my combat is less spell casters stand still and turret fire and more they move around, try to utilize different spells, etc. I've had flying creatures, ranged, melee...have yet to really throw heavy spell casters at them. I guess that could be a possibility?

All lvl 8 - Tome fiend warlock, Lore bard, Way of 4 Elements (Remastered) monk, and fire dragon sorcerer.

Let me know your thoughts!

Monavic
2017-11-21, 10:52 AM
Try to use the environment to give them incentive to move. Have archers out beyond most spell ranges attack them, and obstacles in-between that are challenges themselves. Also you can have enemies use cover to move behind after they attack forcing the players to move as they will not have line of sight on their turn. The environment it self can also move or encourage the players to move. Like fighting on moving ice flows or near a erupting volcano, with magic the possibilities are endless. At first make the advantages of moving obvious and even make the fight a push over. That way the players will start looking to move as it has helped them so much in past encounters.