PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Yuan-Ti poison DC?

McMoria
2017-11-21, 09:46 AM
Just prepping ToA and I don't see a DC for Yuan-Ti poison in any of the statblocks (or via Google).

Is it just THAT concentrated? Or am I blind?

hymer
2017-11-21, 10:45 AM
Just prepping ToA and I don't see a DC for Yuan-Ti poison in any of the statblocks (or via Google).

Is it just THAT concentrated? Or am I blind?

Could you provide a page number?
I'm guessing the poison in question is part of another attack, and lacks a saving throw to avoid slowing things down.

McMoria
2017-11-21, 11:04 AM
Could you provide a page number?
I'm guessing the poison in question is part of another attack, and lacks a saving throw to avoid slowing things down.

You're absolutely right in that, I was just perplexed by the lack of DC, I guess it's automatic.

(p307 of MM. The ToA Yuan-tis don't poison although the Nightmare Speaker does auto necrotic damage.)

Thanks for reply.

mgshamster
2017-11-21, 11:19 AM
Notice that the Drow Elite Warrior has the same thing. The poison damage is tied to an attack. Make the attack, and you get both the normal damage plus the poison damage.

Sometimes they split up damage types like that to allow for resistance or immunity or vulnerability of some of the damage.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-11-23, 06:30 AM
Notice that the Drow Elite Warrior has the same thing. The poison damage is tied to an attack. Make the attack, and you get both the normal damage plus the poison damage. Sometimes they split up damage types like that to allow for resistance or immunity or vulnerability of some of the damage.

You see the same thing with other elements, like fire, on plenty of monsters.