PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder High bonus Low slots

Eddieddi
2017-11-21, 10:17 AM
So I'm in a game of pathfinder, playing a paladin, We've just hit 13th level. And I have a charisma modifier that grants me an additional 5th level spell slot. How does this work? I'm unable to find rules on it? Is it just wasted? or can I count it as a 4th level slot?

Psyren
2017-11-21, 10:20 AM
You don't get any bonus spells above your maximum, so yes, it's wasted. The rule is "you must be of a high enough {class} level to cast spells of a given spell level" to get that level's bonus slots - but for Paladins, there is no such class level for 5ths (pre-epic anyway, and epic doesn't exist in PF.)

Eddieddi
2017-11-21, 10:44 AM
So, because I don't get 5th level spell slots as a paladin. I can't use the bonus slot I get from having a high enough Charisma? Dam, Guess its time to petition my DM to let me use it just as a 4th level spell slot.

The Mystic
2017-11-21, 11:39 AM
Psyren's right on the money here. There are no 5th level spells to get an extra slot of.

That said, if your paladin's charisma is 20 the bonus isn't completely useless, as you get two extra 1st level slots at that point.

Geddy2112
2017-11-21, 11:53 AM
Correct, you don't gain a 5th level slot.

That said, having 20+ charisma as a paladin provides a TON of other bonuses. Smite, bonus to saves, use of lay on hands/channel per day, channel DC, save DC of your spells, bonus spells, and bonuses to diplomacy/handle animal class skills.

Which makes it still worthwhile to invest in and possibly a priority depending on your particular build.