PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Has anyone seen an Arcane Swordsage played?

Mr Adventurer
2017-11-21, 11:47 AM
This is the variant Swordsage discussed in the Tome of Battle, where you lose some physical resilience in exchange for being able to choose spells in place of your Swordsage manoeuvres.

Has anyone actually played one or seen one played? What was it like? How did it stack up against the other characters in the party? How do you compare it to other classes you've played?

To me, the idea of a spell you can cast every encounter sounds a bit bonkers - but I'm also really intrigued by the gish-in-a-can concept, too. What did you make of it?

Cosi
2017-11-21, 11:56 AM
I've never seen it, but I think you're in agreement with the general consensus. You're basically a Wizard who only casts the polymorph line of spells (and some other personal buffs), but you cast them at-will (ish), and those spells are nuts.

tstewt1921
2017-11-21, 03:39 PM
I can't seem to find it, it has me intrigued, what page/book is it in?

Hellpyre
2017-11-21, 03:48 PM
I can't seem to find it, it has me intrigued, what page/book is it in?

It's suggested as a possible varient at the end of the Swordsage section of ToB

I'm AFB at the moment so I can't give you the page number, but it's quite vague in the actual text about how they would play out.

Rijan_Sai
2017-11-21, 04:06 PM
It's suggested as a possible varient at the end of the Swordsage section of ToB

I'm AFB at the moment so I can't give you the page number, but it's quite vague in the actual text about how they would play out.

Page 20, and yes: very vague...

Basically you give up maneuvers known and learn arcane spells, at equivalent level. (No mention if it should be a blanket swap or if it would be mix-n-match.) There are a couple of schools recommended to be used for this.
You would then "cast" the spells as though initiating maneuvers, (presumably, though again, no rules/suggestions/advice) with the same recharge mechanic.
In exchange, you give up light armor proficiency and a few HP.