PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Summoning

gareth
2007-08-19, 05:54 AM
My current character is a cleric of the Judge, a Lawful Neutral diety I've made up. Clerics of the Judge always take the Law and Protection domains, and never summon any monster or planar ally, even Lawful Neutral ones. That's because they're monotheists, and find the monsters theologically inappropriate. I can always just have him choose other spells, but I was wondering if permanently giving up summoning deserved some kind of compensation, and what would be appropriate. A free standard feat, perhaps? Iron Will would fit with their background.

Dryad
2007-08-19, 08:04 PM
Ehm.. Isn't the flavor itself the benefit you're looking for here?

Anxe
2007-08-19, 09:14 PM
You might be able to get a familiar or animal companion from your DM if you beg him enough. But like Dryad said. The flavor is the benefit.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-19, 09:23 PM
If it were really up to me I wouldn't really give any mechanical bonus for not being able to summon, most especially for a class with such a wide margin of power as the cleric is. At most, I would give a small skill bonus or something like that, say a +2 to Sense Motive or something like that.

gareth
2007-08-19, 11:54 PM
Yeah, on second thoughts just accepting the restriction is probably best.

Yakk
2007-08-20, 04:31 PM
Banish: The ability to turn/destroy summoned creatures using spells.

Replace Summon Monster X with Banish 2*X.

Each cast of a Banish spell causes the Turn Undead effect, with Summoned replacing Undead, at level X.

Successfully turning a summoned creature phases them out for 1d6 rounds (they appear transparent).

Destroying a summoned creature unsummons them.

blue_fenix
2007-08-20, 05:20 PM
Summoning is not quite powerful enough to warrant a bonus to counter-balance its prohibition. It's nowhere near as big a deal as wizards having prohibited schools. Perhaps, however, your DM could create a custom feat which states as a prerequisite that the player must be capable of casting summoning spells to take the feat and by taking the feat gives up all summoning spells for some other benefit such as being able to use turn undead against another category of enemies.

Harold
2007-08-20, 05:48 PM
hmm... well I think you could get, a favourite enemy just like rangers get.

TheLogman
2007-08-20, 06:10 PM
You could disallow him from Summoning altogether, and then allow him to Turn and Destroy Summoned Creatures as he does Undead.

Harold
2007-08-20, 06:18 PM
you could make so you could live twice as long??

Katasi
2007-09-07, 12:59 AM
Summoning is not quite powerful enough to warrant a bonus to counter-balance its prohibition. It's nowhere near as big a deal as wizards having prohibited schools. Perhaps, however, your DM could create a custom feat which states as a prerequisite that the player must be capable of casting summoning spells to take the feat and by taking the feat gives up all summoning spells for some other benefit such as being able to use turn undead against another category of enemies.

This seems like one of the best ways to me. The other option is to homebrew some spells that might replace summoning spells on the spell list of clerics of Judge.

knightsaline
2007-09-07, 06:40 AM
Why not up the granted power the Judge grants his clerics in return for not summoning monsters? Does the Judge have any underlings? can they be contacted or summoned? (ie, if the judge passes judgement, you could have a whole group of court related outsiders that exemplify LN. If the Juge cannot be called to pass judgement, who does he send? Does he send an anthropomorphic phoenix named Wright? (think about it....)

Tormsskull
2007-09-07, 08:23 AM
The other option is to homebrew some spells that might replace summoning spells on the spell list of clerics of Judge.

I'd try to do this. Also, you might be able to make some spells available at 1 level lower than normal to this deity's worshippers. A very few, very carefully select number of them, would give just a bit of a boost.