PDA

View Full Version : Building a Diplomancer

tmjr6
2017-11-21, 01:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks to Xanathar's Guide coming out my playgroup has decided to start up a new campaign. I for once am not that the DM so I'm gonna be rolling up a Courtier. The race, background, and class are relatively straightforward, I'll be playing a Half-Elf Bard Courtier, but I'm not sure which college to choose. I'm thinking maybe doing Lore, Glamour or Whispers, but I'm not quite sure which one is best. I'm also thinking of potential spells to fit the theme, any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

clash
2017-11-21, 02:19 PM
For a diplomancer I would go with glamour. The theme and charm abilities work well for that.

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-21, 02:34 PM
For a diplomancer I would go with glamour. The theme and charm abilities work well for that.

Clash has it right. As for spells, I would start with the Friends Cantrip, as well as Charm Person. For skills, I'd pick all the social ones. You never know when you will need to bribe, bully, or sweet talk your way through someone.

School of Glamour for a Face is good. School of Lore for a more Sage type. Pick your poison.

Zene
2017-11-22, 01:56 AM
I auppose it depends on what you mean by diplomancer —and how evil you want to be— but a Whispers Bard could wreak some seious havoc as a diplomatic agent / spy / puppetmaster.

As for spells, Glibness, enhance ability are great; and if you want to supplement with spy or secret agent abilities, disguise self, invisibility and misty step are excellent. You may also want to consider a sorcerer 3 dip; subtle spell is amazing in social / diplomatic / rp encounters. Subtle hex, subtle suggestion, subtle dominate person, subtle detect thoughts, etc...

Also for spell and abilities and strategy thoughts, I highly recommend the Guide to an Optimized Party Face (I think that’s what it’s called) if you haven’t already. Really great ideas and food for thought in there.

Unoriginal
2017-11-22, 07:18 AM
Avoid spells that affect people mentally. The may seem useful, but they actually hinder true diplomacy and deception due to their side-effects when they end.