PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Converting Psionic creatures arcane spell list to Psionic powers = max augmentation?

Oryan77
2017-11-21, 02:09 PM
I understand that a creature with spell-like abilities that can be used as a Psionic creature (i.e., aboleth, couatl, and duergar) would augment those spells as powers at their full manifester level.

What if a creature has an actual arcane spell list as a sorcerer (usable X times a day) and uses the psionic version of the power? Are each one of those augmented at full manifester levels or is that creature supposed to have a power point pool as a Psion since it is converting a sorcerer spell list rather than a spell-like ability?

Augmenting all of those spells to max just seems a bit much to me. So I'm wondering if I am doing it wrong.

Are there written rules for doing this conversion?

Zanos
2017-11-21, 03:12 PM
Sorry, are you converting characters with racial casting to use psionics?

If so they would just manifest as psions do.

Oryan77
2017-11-21, 04:06 PM
Sorry, are you converting characters with racial casting to use psionics?

If so they would just manifest as psions do.

I was updating creatures to use as encounters. No PCs, just NPC creatures with no class levels, but casts spells as a sorcerer of equal racial hit die.

Specifically in this case, I was using the Cranium Rat Swarm from Fiend Folio. There is a blurb on page 169 talking about using Psionics for the swarm. I was converting that to 3.5 (Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionics) and then wanted to use psionic versions of the spells. That's when I realized that making a 1st level "spell" work as a fully augmented 1st level "power" might be making things unfair to the PCs encounter.

Does the creature switch out "10th-level sorcerer" with "10th-level Psion" and figure out how many power points it has rather than how many times a day it "casts" it? That makes more sense I guess. I was treating it differently since it was an NPC and not a PC as the examples of the aboleth/couatl/duergar in the SRD. So it is different when it is not a spell-like ability being converted?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-21, 06:13 PM
Does the creature switch out "10th-level sorcerer" with "10th-level Psion" and figure out how many power points it has rather than how many times a day it "casts" it? That makes more sense I guess. I was treating it differently since it was an NPC and not a PC as the examples of the aboleth/couatl/duergar in the SRD. So it is different when it is not a spell-like ability being converted?
Yes, you don't convert casting into PLAs.

The text of the sidebar says you switch out the casting for (shaper, metacreativity psion) manifesting, and the casting feats for their psionic equivalents. However, the Fiend Folio uses 3.0 psionics rules, so you'll have to change stuff around a bit (for one, all psion manifesting is INT-based, not just metacreativity). I suggest adding at least one metapsionic feat along with Psychic Meditation, else you'll get a really boring set of abilities.

Oryan77
2017-11-21, 06:25 PM
Yes, you don't convert casting into PLAs.

The text of the sidebar says you switch out the casting for (shaper, metacreativity psion) manifesting, and the casting feats for their psionic equivalents. However, the Fiend Folio uses 3.0 psionics rules, so you'll have to change stuff around a bit (for one, all psion manifesting is INT-based, not just metacreativity). I suggest adding at least one metapsionic feat along with Psychic Meditation, else you'll get a really boring set of abilities.

Ok, that makes more sense. Any chance you have a page number for that rule so that I can reference it as I am recreating this creature?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-21, 06:31 PM
Ok, that makes more sense. Any chance you have a page number for that rule so that I can reference it as I am recreating this creature?
Uh, 169, same page as the creature?

Oryan77
2017-11-21, 08:14 PM
Uh, 169, same page as the creature?

Oh, I thought you were referring to an actual section in the XPH that explains the process for updating creatures with sorcerer/wizard spells vs updating creatures with spell-like abilities. All I found was the explanation about spell-like abilities.

Psyren
2017-11-21, 08:26 PM
I understand that a creature with spell-like abilities that can be used as a Psionic creature (i.e., aboleth, couatl, and duergar) would augment those spells as powers at their full manifester level.

What if a creature has an actual arcane spell list as a sorcerer (usable X times a day) and uses the psionic version of the power? Are each one of those augmented at full manifester levels or is that creature supposed to have a power point pool as a Psion since it is converting a sorcerer spell list rather than a spell-like ability?

Augmenting all of those spells to max just seems a bit much to me. So I'm wondering if I am doing it wrong.

Are there written rules for doing this conversion?

Not sure if I understand you completely, but assuming I do, I would probably compare the MM Mindflayer (casts as sorcerer) to the XPH mindflayer (casts as psion) to get an idea how to do this.

Ungoded
2017-11-22, 08:44 AM
Not sure if I understand you completely, but assuming I do, I would probably compare the MM Mindflayer (casts as sorcerer) to the XPH mindflayer (casts as psion) to get an idea how to do this.

The MM mind flayer doesn't actually cast as a sorcerer, not the standard one, anyway. There is an example 9th-level sorcerer mind flayer, but the standard flayer only has spell-likes (listed as psionics) at 8th caster level. The psionic version from XPH replaces those spell-likes with 9th-level psionic manifesting.