PDA

View Full Version : Simple warlock fix

stoutstien
2017-11-21, 02:18 PM
Well with the new splat book with a lot of warlock love it seems the class is even more what it was before, dip bait. Front loaded and excess to great at will damge.

Agonizing blast really hate been bugging me. I've been thinking of just making it a lv two class feature but make it work off warlock lvs instead of character lv. So the 2nd beam recives the cha to damge at warlock lv 5 and ect.

I don't want to punish muti- class options but still want to protect pure locks niche.

Foff
2017-11-21, 02:24 PM
if you have problems with class dips ban multiclass in your games

non multiclassed warlocks are amazing it's not their fault people just see them as blasting multiclass potential

Contrast
2017-11-21, 03:11 PM
I always just felt like eldritch blast should have been a class feature instead of a cantrip.

As much because at the moment someone unfamiliar with the class could quite easy just not take it (which I think would be a mistake) as to stop multiclass front loading.

Warlocks already throw away a load of the other normal spell casting rules so why not.

stoutstien
2017-11-21, 03:40 PM
I always just felt like eldritch blast should have been a class feature instead of a cantrip.
The cantrip itself isn't the class feature in my eyes. The increase of utility is, by adding damage and riders are.

Kane0
2017-11-21, 04:19 PM
Agonising Blast
You add your warlock level to the first damage roll of any warlock cantrip you cast.

Bam. Works for more cantrips and reduced dippability. Quick and dirty.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-21, 04:28 PM
"Eldritch blast as a class feature" is a common and succinct houserule for people afraid of Warlock dips. Tying Agonizing Blast to class levels works fine too, though you should possibly stop and ask: is this a problem you're actually seeing, or just one you're worried about? Is the damage boost really that disproportionate to the effort invested? (If you dedicate so many levels and spell/invocation choices to something, you should be good at it)

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-21, 05:21 PM
I'm personally not seeing the issue with EB/AB.
I agree that Force is a damage type that isn't resisted much. Your average Warlock(or dipper) will get 5.5+(3-5) damage per attack with it.
It's little more than a built-in Heavy Crossbow without the Loading restriction, mechanically, at that point. It just keys off of Charisma instead of Dexterity.

As has been said: If they are sinking class resources into making it better, they -should- be good at it.

Plus, if they are dipping Warlock for Eldritch Blast, you have more plot hooks to drag them around with.
See it instead as an opportunity for story time.

Vaz
2017-11-21, 06:07 PM
Agonising Blast
You add your warlock level to the first damage roll of any warlock cantrip you cast.

Bam. Works for more cantrips and[b reduced dippability[/b] . Quick and dirty.

Not really. EB is still 4d10+8/12 // 8d10+16/24 outstripping most other cantrips.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-21, 06:41 PM
Not really. EB is still 4d10+8/12 // 8d10+16/24 outstripping most other cantrips.

Not to mention the fact that making 4 weaker attack instead of one stronger is better for rider to trigger. If you miss with Firebolt, you don't do any damage, Agonising Blast or not. If you miss with first Eldritch Blast beam, you still have 3 more tries (and even if you hit only once, you'll potentially get +20 damage from that single hit.)

Snowbluff
2017-11-21, 07:20 PM
Agonising Blast

Bam. Works for more cantrips and reduced dippability. Quick and dirty.

Quick, Dirty, nerfed, disgusting. :smalltongue:

Warlock is fine until 10. Maybe if there was a better way to ensure short rests or if their post 5 level spells weren't so infrequent, and their spell invocations (Cast X once per day USING A SPELL SLOT)didn't take slots, they might be better.

stoutstien
2017-11-21, 07:22 PM
There are few cantrips that can give EB a run for its money but not many. Having multiple roles and being forced damage is quite potent. I've already implemented a few minor things to it too bring it kind of to par with the rest of them.
1) The Shield spell blocks EB the same as it blocks magic Missile.
2) repelling blast is limited to once per turn. And I added a saving throw for any creature large and up.
3) I gave Sorcerers a cantrip that matches the damage of eb but the damage is random. As the sorcerer levels up they get more control over the damage type.