PDA

View Full Version : Dips for Unchained Rogue

FocusWolf413
2017-11-21, 05:37 PM
I'm going to start this off by acknowledging that my build and planned character aren't as optimized as they could be. My group is full of noobs and it just wouldn't be fair if I flexed my PO muscles.

I'm building a scout/sniper switch hitting unchained rogue for an upcoming game and I want a faster than normal movement speed. Most of my feats are going to be for ranged combat, but I'll see if I can pick up pirhanna strike somewhere along the way. We're not going to be high enough level for boots that boost my speed, the fleet feat is trash, and I'm already picking up a longstrider wand. We're going to play starting at 4th level, and I'd be surprised if we got up to 10th.

So far, I have cleric (travel domain), inquisitor (travel domain), bloodrager (fast movement), and barbarian (fast movement).

Cleric seems like a solid choice. Some good utility spells, some minor healing, and the ability to use a lot of good wands really add to the versatility of this class. The cleric spell list is really powerful and the saves really round out my character. The lack of skill points hurts, but I can get it up to 4 if I take one of a few archetypes.

Inquisitor is good for all the reasons cleric isn't. It has a ton of skill points, so I don't really need to make sacrifices there. I can pick up an animal companion with sacred huntsmaster and beef it up with boon companion, which is amazing, and I get a slight boost to combat over cleric, but the spell list is pretty trash at first level.

Barbarian gives me fast movement and more health, but I lose out on basically everything else. Meh skill points and I can't really get anything out of rage.

Bloodrager doesn't seem much better than barbarian. I get fast movement, but bloodrage is still useless. I don't get any spells, and many of the bloodlines are lackluster as just a first level ability.

Should I just go for cleric? Is there something I'm missing?

Geddy2112
2017-11-21, 06:22 PM
If you go ubarb you can get your rage to boost attack and damage, making it dex to damage friendly. Inquisitor still has okayish spells and some utility, as well as wand potential, but the lack of BAB is harsh and limited spell selection. The judgement won't level but it something. An animal companion won't level past 5 even with boon and be too weak at 10th level. One option is umonk, although no fast movement off the bat but wis to AC since you are high dex anyways and dex to damage unarmed might be something you are interested in.
Cleric gets two domains, in addition to travel you could get something really nice like luck. The lack of a full BAB is a bit of a hard hit, and while the spells are versatile none of the 1st level cleric spells are gamebreaking by any means.

For raw damage, the ubarb is probably the best choice, and the cleric for raw utility. The inquisitor falls in between and rounds out your skillmonkey ability.