PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a Base Class <PEACH> - Now with more fluff!

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-19, 06:21 AM
Commander

Forged in the fires of combat and tradition, Commanders have borne militaries innumerable through combat, and are greatly respected for their skill upon the field, as well as their ability to influence their compatriots. Even the most untested Commanders can channel their personality into their weapon, and even new ones can project their personality to defend themselves against their foe's slings and arrows.
A Commander's true strength is their ability to inspire new levels of competence and survivability in their allies, be they troops the Commander commands, or the Commander's superior. The most powerful Commaders can even lend an assisting voice to a small number of comrades, and draw of their personalities to assist him in his diplomacy.

Adventures: Commanders adventure for one of any number of reasons, all of them personal. A Commander need not join an organized military, although many do.

Other Classes: Commanders get along with most other classes quite easily. They are especially amiable with Paladins, Scouts, Monks, Fighters, and other classes of Lawful or militaristic bent. They often cafe against Bards and Barbarians as their chaotic nature often rubs counter to a Commander's philosophy. (And charismatic Bards often take over many of the Commander's roles)

Role: As the name implies, the Commander's primary role is that of the "face" or party leader. Their skills and class abilities lend themselves to support status rather well, and they make passable secondary front line combatants or archers (depending on their choice of weaponry). A Commander's Psychic Duel ability allows him to defend himself if they going gets particularly rough.

Attributes: Charisma is, undoubtedly, the Commander's most important attribute. After this, the importance of their attributes lays solely within their preferred style of leadership, be it at the front lines or rear echelon.

Alignment: Any non-chaotic. A Commander is a leader first and foremost. It is his duty to maintain the order within a group.

Hit Dice: d8

Skill Points: 6+INT modifier x4 at first level, 6+INT modifier every level thereafter

Class Skills: Bluff (CHA), Craft (INT) Diplomacy (CHA), Handle Animal (CHA), Hide (DEX), Intimidate (CHA), Listen (WIS), Move Silently (DEX), Perform (CHA), Profession (WIS), Ride (DEX), Search (INT), Sense Motive (WIS), Speak Language (None), Spot (WIS)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Charming

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Commands, "Shields Up!"(Command)

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus Feat, Co-ordinated Strike +1d6, Improved Charm

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|"Hold your Ground!" (Command), Force of Personality

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Leader's Mount, Improved Flanker

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Feat, "Stay on your Guard!" (Command), Uncanny dodge

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Psychic Duelist, Co-ordinated Strike +2d6, Leadership

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|"Give them Hell!" (Command), Charming

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|Bonus Feat

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Improved Shields Up

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Co-ordinated Strike +3d6

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Bonus Feat, "Strike At their Hearts!" (Command)

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Master Flanker

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|Inspiring Psychic Duelist

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Feat, Co-ordinated Strike +4d6

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Battle Cry (Command)

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10| ---

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Bonus Feat, Echoing Commands

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Co-ordinated Strike +5d6

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Extended Psychic Duel, Master's Guidance[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Commander is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as two martial weapons of his choice. The Commander is also proficient in Light and Medium armor as well as shields (excepting Tower shields).

Charming (EX): The Commander Chooses one weapon he is proficient with. He adds his Charisma bonus to his attack rolls instead of STR or DEX. At third Level, this improves to stack with his STR or DEX, as appropriate. The Commander gains this ability again at eighth level.

Commands (SU): From this point on, the Commander gains a number of Command skills. These are annotated by (Command) appearing after the abiltiy's name. Command abilties are activated as a swift action up to a number of times per day equal to the Commander's CHA modifier plus one-half of his class level. Each Command is tracked seperatly (Thus, a tenth level Commander with a CHA of 16 can use each command up to eight times per day). Commands do not affect the Commander issueing the Command unless it is echoed back at him (See "Echoing Command"). All commands last for a number of rounds equal to the Commander's Class levels. All commands are sonic, mind-affecting abilities. A creature need not understand the Commander's language to be affected by the command. Commands affect no more than The Commander's class level times his Charisma modifier Hit Dice worth of creatures, affecting the largest amount of creatures possible. Creatures already under the affect of any Command are skipped over. If more Hit Dice are available, and no qualifying creatures not under a command are wihin range, the command then affects them. Any "lost" hit dice are wasted.

"Shields Up!" (Command): All allies with earshot equipped with shields gain an additional Shield Bonus to their Armor Class equal to the Commander's CHA modifier. This bonus also applies to bucklers and tower shields.

Bonus Feat: At third level and every three levels thereafter, the Commander gains a bonus feat for which he qualifies. These feats are not restricted to a given list.

Co-ordinated Strike (EX): At third level the Commander strikes a flanked opponent for +1d6 damage. The Commander need not be actually flanking the opponent for this extra damage to come into effect. The damage is precision-based, so only creatures with discernable anatomies recieve extra damage. The Commander gains an additional 1d6 of Co-ordinated Strike damage every four levels after third.

"Hold your Ground!" (Command): All allies within earshot add the Commander's Charisma Modifier to all rolls to resist tripping, being bull-rushed, disarmed, or pinned, and my also add the Commander's Charisma modifier to all rolls to escape from a pin. They also receive a number of temporary Hit Points equal to one half of the Commander's Class Level.

Force of Personality (EX): At fourth level, the Commander adds his Charisma modifier to his armor class.

Commander's Mount (SP): At fifth level, the Commander acquires a special mount. This mount is similar in every way but alignment, which the mount shares with the Commander, to the Paladin's special mount. Also, in lieu of sharing spells, the mount the mount gets to add the Commander's Charisma modifier to his Armor Class.

Improved Flanker (EX): At fifth level, the Commander gains +4 to attack rolls and +2 to his armor class against an opponent that he is flanking. Alternativly, he can apply this bonus to an allied creature flanking the same foe.

"Stay on your Guard!" (Command): All allies within earshot gain the Commander's Charisma bonus to all saves for a number of rounds equal to half the Commander's class level.

Uncanny Dodge (EX): At sixth level, the Commander gains the Uncanny Dodge class ability, as per the Rogue.

Psychic Duelist (EX): At seventh level, the Commander for a number of rounds equal to his charisma modifier, the Commander gains his CHA modifier to all damage rolls.

Leadership: The Commander gains the Leadership feat for free at seventh level.

"Give them Hell!" (Command): At eighth level, all of the Commander's allies within earshot gain a bonus on their damage rolls equal to the Commander's Charisma modifier. This extra damage bypasses all form of DR.

Improved Shields Up! (SU): At tenth Level, the Commander's allies within thirty feet are considered to be contantly under the effect of his "Shields up!" ability. This is an aura-like effect. The command, itself can easily expand beyond these parameter.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (EX): At eleventh level, the Commander gains the Improved Uncanny Dodge class ability as per the Rogue.

"Strike at their Hearts!" (Command): At twelfth level, all of the Commander's Allies within earshot add the Commander's Charisma modifier to their attack roll.

Master Flanker (EX): At thirteenth level, the Commander gains +6 to his attack rolls and +4 to his armor class against an opponent he is flanking. As with Improved Flanker, the Commander can choose to give this ability to an ally flanking the same foe.

Inspiring Psychic Duelist (EX): At fourteenth level, when the Commander is engaged in a psychic duel, all allies within 30ft gain a +2 morale bonus to all attack and damage rolls

Battle Cry (Command): The Commander unleashes a fierce and unique battle cry. All foes hearing this battle cry must succed at a Will save (DC= 10 + one-half the Commander's Class Level + CHA mod) or become panicked. Those creatures who make succesful saving throws become shaken instead.

Echoing Command (SU): All allies who hear one of a Commander's Command abilities can echo the command as an immediate action. This echo can then be echoed in return, ad infantatum. All effects are still tied to the Commander and not the echoer. A creature can not be affected by the same Commander's command from seperate source. Thus a phalanx cannot all echo a "Shields Up!" to increase each indvidual's Shield bonus. However, the echoed command CAN affect the Commander.

Extended Psychic Duel (EX): At twentieth level, the length of the Commander's Psychic Duel doubles.

Master's Guidance (SU): At twentieth level, the Commander selects up to three allies. These allies add the Commander's Charisma bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks (in addition to their own). In addition, the Commander receives the sum of their charisma bonuses (if positive) to his Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy checks (in addition to his own). Selected allies also gain the benefit of the Commander's Force of Personality ability (using his CHA modifier).

Former Commanders: A Commander who becomes Chaotic can no longer advance as a Commander and looses the benefit of his Special Mount. He retains all other class abilities. When reverting back to a non-chaotic alignment, he may once again advance as a Commander normally, but must make reperations with his mount (or aforementioned mount's home plane) in order to re-gain its service.

Tengu
2007-08-19, 06:29 AM
Hmm, why not use Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) instead?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-19, 06:35 AM
I didn't know such a class existed? After a quick glance, however, the classes look like they lead in radically different ways.
I'll have to take a closer look at Marshal, though.

Neon Knight
2007-08-19, 11:02 AM
The Marshal is a pretty poor class. The benefits it provides to your allies are rather pitiful, and the rest of the class doesn't make up for it.

First off, the name is kinda bleh. Couldn't you use something like Officer or Sergeant or even just plain Leader?

The very first level of the class is bereft of any abilities that define the class; those that aid and support allies. You should get leadership abilities right off the bat.

Charming: I don't like it. Essentially a free Weapon Finesse at first level, which then gets better than Weapon Finesse at 3rd? The whole focus of these leadership classes is on supporting, aiding, and leading allies. Charming feels out of place; it looks more like a Dashing Swordsman ability.

Shields Up!: Pretty good as an ability. However, I don't like the fact that an apparently generic officer gets shield related abilities. The commander of a pike unit without shields get this ability despite the fact that it is worthless to him. I'd prefer a list of abilities that one can select from, depending upon one's focus.

Bonus Feats: Listen, feats didn't save the fighter and they won't save you. Especially since these bonus feats feel stapled on as an afterthought. I'd remove the bonus feats.

Co-ordinated Strike: I was hoping for something more original than a flanking only sneak attack progression. Not bad, and it does encourage coordination, what the class is all about, but not exactly unique.

"Hold your Ground!": Rather lackluster. The bonuses against tripping could be useful, I suppose.

Force of Personality: Once more, I don't like it. The focus of this class is not killing people in personal combat. Thus abilities like this feel out of place. In addition, it is kind of bizarre.

Leader's Mount: Meh.

Improved Flanker: Hmm.. I don't like it. Although it encourages coordination to get into flanking, it bestows all the benefits on the squad leader. both flankers should gain the benefit.

"Take the High Ground!": Poorly named, but a good ability. This is exactly the kind of ability the class is based around. How about Rallying Cry?

Uncanny Dodge: Another bizarre, out of place ability. Because when I think leaders I think of... dodging fireballs. Yeah. Right.

Psychic Duelist: Wait, now he's psychic? Man, that's bizarre. Another personal combat ability in a class based around aiding and empowering others. Couldn't you have called it Duel of Minds or something?

Leadership: Although Leadership is a "no duh!" feat for a leader type character, giving him the leadership feat is a big no-no. Not all groups allow this feat, as it is a rather large burden on the DM.

"Give them Hell!": See? This is the kind of abilities a leader should have.

Improved Shields Up!: Once more, this is the kinda stuff leaders should get.

"Strike at their Hearts!": Another leader type ability. Good. What does this one actually do? It says that it adds the Charisma bonus of the leader to the attack roll of allies, but then it mentions that the extra damage done bypasses DR. A bit of copy/paste seems to have occurred.

Master Flanker: See Improved Flanker comments.

Deft Duelist: Personal buffs are not the focus of this type of class!

Expert Psychic Duelist: GAH!

Master Duelist: First, personal buff. Second, HELL'S BELLS! TWO CHARISMA DAMAGE! HOW WILL I EVER GO ON? Oh, right. By stabbing you in the face. Seriously, this ability.... It's just bizarre.

Extended Psychic Duel: Personal abilities are not the focus of this party role!

Master's Guidance: Worst. Capstone. Ever. Bonuses to skills? What the... I mean... I just... Blargh....

SUMMARY:

Too many abilities that increase personal power, not enough that aid and improve allies. Bizarre, strange, and out of place abilities.

I wouldn't say it is horrible, but.. it isn't exactly supergood either.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-19, 11:28 AM
Thank you for your comments.
Editage shall occur. The Name for the class is under review by me, as I knew it was lackluster.

Take the high ground was originally intended for bonus against fear, but I figuered that was kinda weak. I just never re-named it.

Charming was meant to act exactly as you described it. I took my inspiration for it from the Swashbuckler class, which gets the same thing.

Thinking out a revamp for the whole psychic dueling mechanic. Any suggestions are welcome.

<EDIT>
Take the high ground re-named to Stay on your Guard.

Uncanny dodge is meant to reflect battlefield awareness. It was easier to keep the name and refer you to the rogue rather than to type the whole thing again and re-name it battlefield awarness. As it is, the ability you described is evasion. I would also like to note that barbarians get uncanny dodge. This would also allow a Squad Leader to flank a rogue, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Psychic Duel revamped.

Named all the Squad Leader's Command-type features. Actually called them "Commands".

Added a battle-field controlling Command and an ability that reacts with Commands to spread them out.

Revamped Master's guidance.

Hitlist: Rename Class "Commander"<Check!>. Await further critques.

Harold
2007-08-20, 06:58 PM
I think some of the commands are too good like "Give them Hell!" and "sheilds up." I think if they are going to have really good things like that, you should at least make them only be able to have them do that 1 or 2 times a day.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-21, 04:47 AM
I think some of the commands are too good like "Give them Hell!" and "sheilds up." I think if they are going to have really good things like that, you should at least make them only be able to have them do that 1 or 2 times a day.

Check out the mechanic on "Commands."

Command abilties are activated as a swift action up to a number of times per day equal to the Commander's CHA modifier plus one-half of his class level. Each Command is tracked seperatly

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-21, 11:23 AM
I would limit the commands to a maximum HD, especially "Hold Your Ground!" Since most NPC soldiers in war situation wouldn't have many hit points to begin with, those temporary hit points would make a significant difference.

Also, if commands aren't supernatural abilities, they should be.

Otherwise, the class is reasonably balanced, if a little strange. I have to agree that some of the abilities seem out of place, albeit not overpowering.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-21, 02:43 PM
I would limit the commands to a maximum HD, especially "Hold Your Ground!" Since most NPC soldiers in war situation wouldn't have many hit points to begin with, those temporary hit points would make a significant difference.

Can you please suggest a reasonable level? I' thinking something that would scale with the Commander's power, and still, affect all of his aparty in a dungeon crawl (Class level * 4 , affecting the largest amount of creatures possible <for a battle scenario, of course>?)

Also, if commands aren't supernatural abilities, they should be.

They are, its in the big block of text decribing commands. I'll move it up to the right after the word "Commands" after this post is over to clarify it.

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-21, 03:55 PM
Can you please suggest a reasonable level? I' thinking something that would scale with the Commander's power, and still, affect all of his aparty in a dungeon crawl (Class level * 4 , affecting the largest amount of creatures possible <for a battle scenario, of course>?)

That's about right, actually, although you might consider level * Cha modifier, to emphasize the need for a high Cha. Also, it makes a certain amount of sense for a more charismatic person to inspire more troops.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-22, 08:20 AM
That's about right, actually, although you might consider level * Cha modifier, to emphasize the need for a high Cha. Also, it makes a certain amount of sense for a more charismatic person to inspire more troops.

Methinks * CHA mod sounds like a better limit. That would make Epic-level CHA a lot more effective, and make low-levels aim to raise CHA allot.
Done and done.