PDA

View Full Version : Xanathar's Notes

Avonar
2017-11-21, 05:47 PM
So with all the Hexblades and fancy new spells that have come out in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, I just wanted to give props for the all the little notes from Xanathar himself littered through the book. They are all good and some of them have genuinely made me chuckle.

For example:

I've got a minion that forges things. An ink-stained little twerp with excellent penmanship. So how do the hammers and fire help the process? Wouldn't the paper get burned? Oh, the fire must be for the seals!

It's simple but it gives the book a surprising amount of personality, especially since Xanathar's signature is just a little stick figure beholder. Of course I haven't read every one of them yet, anyone get any standout ones?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-22, 12:20 AM
The one for the Conquest Paladin is surprisingly humanizing.

The one at the Wizard section (before the War Wizard) also shows a somewhat childish side of The Xanathar.

Saggo
2017-11-22, 12:53 AM
My favorite so far: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but swords will never hurt me — as long as I stay really high and shoot down at an angle."

Quoxis
2017-11-22, 02:11 AM
Xanathar must have had children at some point, otherwise i can't explain the moan-worthy dad joke he made about kensei monks...

Tanarii
2017-11-22, 02:38 AM
My favorite so far: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but swords will never hurt me — as long as I stay really high and shoot down at an angle."
Yeah a lot of them crack me up but I laughed hard at that one.

RickAsWritten
2017-11-22, 11:52 AM
My favorite, by a long shot, is the Divine Soul bird wings vs. bat wings comment.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-22, 02:14 PM
I do like the little stick-figure signature. And also

You never know what's just around the corner or behind that door or down in that pit where I threw all those dwarves. Dwarves might be down there still. They're hardy. They bounce. Sometimes.

Avonar
2017-11-22, 02:42 PM
The one for the Conquest Paladin is surprisingly humanizing.]

Yeah, this one makes me want to come across them in a game sometime.

Conquest seems cool.
Do you have to leave you house for that? Because I've got a fish named Sylgar, and I can't be away for too long or he gets sad.

Arvin Natsuko
2017-11-22, 03:16 PM
The one in the Spells Chapter is gold:

"So why can't people who use magic do it all the time?
I can disintegrate things whenever I want. Like now. And now.
And now. And now... Hey, where'd everybody go?"

MeeposFire
2017-11-22, 04:04 PM
I also like some of that art too it can be quite funny. There is a piece that has the necromancer that casts Dance Macabre taking minion applications and it has a crying orc (clearly did not get the job probably got insulted too), a gelatinous cube that ate one of the applicants, and of course the most evil of the bunch a lawyer with all of his paperwork.

Brilliant.

Zene
2017-11-22, 04:11 PM
Love the book, love the artwork. But Xanathar’s comments didn’t do it for me —the jokes all fell flat for me. It’s weird, because I loved Volo and Elminster’s comments

Easy_Lee
2017-11-22, 04:18 PM
Love the book, love the artwork. But Xanathar’s comments didn’t do it for me —the jokes all fell flat for me. It’s weird, because I loved Volo and Elminster’s comments

Humor is subjective, game humor even moreso. Evidence: some think Undertale is one of the funniest games ever made, while others find it unfunny.

Fortunately, Xanathar's is not just humor, lore, class options, spells, or new rules, but all of these things. It has something for everyone.

Regitnui
2017-11-22, 11:30 PM
I hope they keep up the trend with famous names from the other settings, like the Dragon-Kings in Athas, or a Morgrave/Korranberg scholar in Eberron.

Ravinsild
2017-11-22, 11:43 PM
Humor is subjective, game humor even moreso. Evidence: some think Undertale is one of the funniest games ever made, while others find it unfunny.

Fortunately, Xanathar's is not just humor, lore, class options, spells, or new rules, but all of these things. It has something for everyone.

What's the part about "This is your story" where it's got all these sweet new character traits and writing prompts, jumping off points for idea of who you character is? RP?

Joe the Rat
2017-11-23, 12:32 AM
My favorite, by a long shot, is the Divine Soul bird wings vs. bat wings comment.

Bat angel!

Silkensword
2017-11-23, 07:12 AM
I was a little inebriated while reading it and was crylaughing about how much of a cute dork Xanathar seems to be, I love them

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 08:32 AM
You know the Xanathar has high CHA when it is a murderer and a slaver who regularly condemn hundreds of people to fates worth than death, yet it still comes out as silly and charming.

Tanarii
2017-11-23, 09:34 AM
You know the Xanathar has high CHA when it is a murderer and a slaver who regularly condemn hundreds of people to fates worth than death, yet it still comes out as silly and charming.... even when they're silly, charming, dorky, and so very funny jokes about actively murdering people. Like the disintegrate one. :smallamused:

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 09:42 AM
... even when they're silly, charming, dorky, and so very funny jokes about actively murdering people. Like the disintegrate one. :smallamused:

All jokes are based on the betrayal of expectations, and the Xanathar is rather good at betrayal.

Ganymede
2017-11-23, 11:01 AM
Virtually every single one of Xanathar's notes could be a @DungeonsDonald tweet.

MeeposFire
2017-11-23, 09:43 PM
You know the Xanathar has high CHA when it is a murderer and a slaver who regularly condemn hundreds of people to fates worth than death, yet it still comes out as silly and charming.

Don't forget insane.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-23, 10:39 PM
Don't forget insane.

Hey, don't knock insanity until you've tried it. It's quite purple, like the smell of *happy campers*.