truemane
2017-11-21, 08:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8vImFha.jpg

GEDAN-NO-KAMAE: FOOL'S GUARD
KITSUNE MISAKO'S STORY

"To enter Gedan, stand upon the back foot, sword held straight,
pointed toward the opponent's waist (or, in some schools, the ankle),
thereby presenting an apparent opening as part of a larger strategem."

Misako hadn't meant to be disrespectful. That hadn't even entered her mind when she saw the poor half-drowned baby fox in the field after the rain. All she had seen was a living thing in trouble, something that was small and scared and needed someone to look after it. And, although she was years from her first real whispers with the kami and with the spirits of the Animal Realm, all the same this poor little thing had called to her somehow. And once she saw it there on the edge of the small lake that always formed after a heavy rain, she knew she couldn't turn away.

She wasn't trying to be disrespectful, not exactly, or disobedient. She did know that her father would not approve of her having an animal in the house (not after last time). But she also knew that he would not tell her no if she asked, so she just... didn't think of it, really. It never occurred to her to either ask his permission nor to go to any particular lengths to hide him ("Tenshi", as she named him, which was coincidentally the name of the merchant's son down in the village who had hair that looked as soft as the little fox's fur felt, not that that meant anything, you understand, it was just a nice name).

Which was why she was so surprised by her father's reaction when Tenshi jumped up on the table at his monthly meeting with the generals, grabbed a mouthful of food, and ran off. It wasn't his fault. A couple of the generals were from deep in the forests and were meat-eaters and so there was grilled chicken. How was he supposed to resist that? And when he urinated on the table? He was scared! They scared him! How could they blame him? How could her father blame her?

But all the same, here he was, in her room, his face red with rage and his hands clenched closed so tightly there would be bloody half-moons in his palms for weeks. His voice was tight and controlled (he never yelled) but Misako was a sensitive girl and could feel the anger in the air between them like some kind of thick, choking smoke.

"...could you DO that to me? Can you even imagine the shame. Can you even imagine what you have cost..."

"It was not his fault! He's only a little fox! He's not used to people houses!"

"And why was he IN our HOUSE at all?"

"Because he needed me."

And her father stopped moving and settled down next to her, his face inches from hers. And she loved that face. It was the face of safety and security and love and affection. But she feared it as well. Especially when it was disappointed in her, as it was now.

"But now I need you, Mi-kun," he said, "I need you to help me, help us, help your family and your lineage like you helped that worthless little fox..."

He held up a hand when she opened her mouth to object.

"Do not interrupt me again." And his voice was flat and toneless in a way she didn't recognize, and that made her uneasy. "I need you to find this animal. Find it, an bring it to me. It will come to you. Animals always do. I won't send you away, or switch you publicly, or denounce you, as the generals want. But I need that fox. So I can show the generals that I take leadership of my household as seriously as I take leadership of theirs. Do you understand?"

A pause. A long, terrible pause. And then in a small, small voice: "What will you do with him?"

Her father stood and looked down at her. "Never mind. That is for adults. You find it. And you bring it. Now, Misako. Right now."

Welcome to your Prologue! So, as I explained in the Chargen thread, what I want you to is complete the scene. You can invent, write, create, do anything you want. Shift places, times, locations. Speak for any other character you wish. All of this has 'already' happened in the world of the game so there are no roles and nothing you try will fail.

What I want here is to look at Misako's coddled upbringing clashing with her desire to please her father AND her love of animals. What does she do? Does she look for little Tenshin? Does she find him? Does she hand him over? What happens next? What does she say? What does she do? How does she feel about it all afterward?

Questions? You know where I am.

spinningdice
2017-11-23, 09:20 AM
Misako runs from her father, trying to hide the tears from her eyes, knowing that seeing her tears would only disappoint him more, she would not be a weak girl, not in front of her father anyway.

She scurries away and hides, her heart beating in panic, If I take him to father he will be killed, if I don't... her thoughts trail off, she knew he would not move on this, with heavy heart she walks out to the gardens, sitting beneath Tenshi's favourite deep-purple Hydrangea. She calls him to her in the way only she knows how, quietly under her breath, too quiet for anyone to hear, but still he comes to her, ears flicking, still afraid of the men who shouted and caused such commotion.

He barely hesitates crossing over to her, sitting in her lap and she rubs his ears, savouring the moment, speaking softly "Sleep little fox, little fox sleep." over and over, like a lullaby to a child and the little creature slowly drifts off to sleep. The few minutes she spends with him feel like a lifetime, singing and stroking his small form.

She tries to get to her feet, but feels him stir atop her and stops. She could end him now, while he sleeps peacefully, or bring him to her father where he will die anyway, in fear and distress. She draws her small knife, tears once again welling in her eyes.

She walks back down the halls of her home to her father, and silently hands him the corpse of Tenshi, uncaring of the blood on her hands or clothing, "He was my responsibility. I..." she falters, unable to continue on and as her father opens his mouth to say something she turns and flees again, returning back to Tenshi's spot beneath the Hydranga, the bloody knife is still on the ground, carelessly discarded earlier. Driven by sudden need to do something she picks it up and carves a fox's face into the bark of the shrub, a secret memorial for her eyes alone.

She returns to the purple shrub often during the years, she rapidly outgrows it and can no longer climb into it's growths to see her little mark, but when she is feeling especially rebellious it reminds her of her duties. Family first.

truemane
2017-11-26, 12:02 AM
"Gedan is named the Earth Stance, as it requires both fortitude and
stability to convert an enemy's mistake to one's own advantage. To
stand Gedan without resolve is to court disaster."

Misako didn't much like the Kitsune Shugenja School. The work was interesting and she was treated well and she enjoyed her increasing ability to listen to both the kami and the delicate spirits of Chikushudo. But she missed the freedom and emptiness of the days at her father's house. Here she was watched and scheduled and worked and loomed over every waking moment of every waking day.

And worst of all, they wouldn't let her do anything the way she wanted to do it. Alone among the students, she arrived already able to hear some of the whispers of the kami. And alone among the students, she arrived able to speak to animals of both flesh and spirit.

But although the teachers made fawning noises over how advanced she was, and how talented, they never let her actually do any of those things. Any time she tried, any time she mentioned, she was always told it's not time yet, you haven't learned, you're not ready, you're not ready, you're not ready.

How much more ready could she be? It was so frustrating to already be where they wanted her to go and have to wait until everyone else caught up. In her father's house she would have just spent her time in the forests by herself, talking to whomever, and whatever, she pleased.

But here there was always someone. Always eyes. Always watching. Always judging. And always so pleasant with their where are you going Misako-san? And that's not the way to the library, Misako-san and it's not time for your walk Misako-san.

It was enough to give a young shugenja a headache.

She hadn't been there long when there was a rash of thefts across the school. Just little things. Coins. Jewelry. Prayer beads. Some other, small, valuable items. The teachers thought it was one of the heimin. There were interviews and interrogations. But no leads. Then there was some fear it might be a student. A samurai's child. Or perhaps one of the lower-ranked samurai in and around the grounds. No one could believe it but the thefts continued. There was talk of involving the Kitsuki. It was all anyone in the school could talk about.

Misako stayed quiet. Mainly because she knew it wasn't a heimin. Or a samurai. Or a student. It was a particularly mischievous tanuki spirit. And she knew this because almost every night it stopped by her room to sit with her for a little while. She hadn't summoned it. She didn't think so anyway. She hoped she hadn't, anyway. It had arrived shortly after she spent some time in the forest by herself communing with the kami there.

It never talked to her. She never talked to it. But every night when she was reading before bed it would come and lie down and put its little tail over its little nose and watch her with its wise, wise eyes.

She was certain it was the one stealing the items. And she was sure she could talk to it.

If she tried.

Let's have a look at how Misako handles a conflict between her natural talent, her desire to help and be accepted, and her desire to stay out of trouble. What does she decide to do? Can she help? Does she help? How do people react?

And then what happens?

As always, if you have questions, you know where I am.

spinningdice
2017-11-29, 10:50 AM
Misako sat trying to study. I'm not claiming responsibility for this one[i] she grimly told herself, trying to ignore the Tanuki sat on her bed watching her.
This thing had been vexing master and student alike but simply sat watching her, was it taunting? Was it hers... surely she would know if she had brought it forth.

At some point during her endeavour of staring fixedly at scrolls without actually reading them the spirit disappeared. With a deep sigh she gave up studying, rolling up and packing away her scrolls and went to bed.

= = = = =

The following day Sensei Akitaka had a thunderous visage as he taught his students, rumour quickly spread that a token from his late wife had been taken, and his wrath upon anyone and everyone who gave him the slightest excuse was barely constrained by his adherence to the tenet of Rei.

Misako herself was annoyed, if Akitaka had not been staring at her so intently as she chanted she would not have messed up her wording. She'd always got it right before. That should count for something.

= = = = =

Misako considered her options, anyone she spoke to would think this her fault, and she would not bring that shame on her family, to be labelled a thief, even by proxy not be lived down. There was no other choice, she would have to deal with the Tanuki herself... She did not see the need to try and summon it forth, better to let it approach her on its own terms.
Eventually, her lamp and incense burned low the Tanuki appeared.

”Trickster Tanuki, wise and cunning, your mischief has gone too far among my kind, I implore you to stop”. Misako barely dared breath, tales of powerful Tanuki spirits were many among her people, some had great rivalry with the Kitsune.
With an aura of mirth the Tanuki watched Misako, ”Is that a prayer, fox-girl? Were I your spirit-kin you would entreat me with more enthusiasm. If you had the favour to banish me you would have done so, so what reason do I have for games to end?”
Misako swallowed, casting her mind for something to bargain with ”You may keep what you have taken, as tribute to your greatness, Tanuki-spirit.”
”HA! I have what was taken, fox-girl. Your honor and codes mean nothing to me, I am Tanuki, wild and free!” the Tanuki sings a little loudly and Misako glances at the door, hoping none of the Sensei here are listening with their spirit-senses open.
”I beg, please don’t make too much noise, it will not go well for either of us for an elder to find you here. I have little of value, but you’re welcome to it.”
The Tanuki’s eyes light up, the colour of yellow jade. [i]”Anything in this room, fox-girl? Whatever its value.”
Misako tried to think, there were things she’d rather not lose, the Han-kyu she was given by her father to hunt with, some of the scrolls she had to study, some few pieces of adornment she was allowed to bring. Nothing that she would miss too terribly.
”Agreed.”
The Tanuki laughed ”Then I choose the most valuable thing in this room... you.”.
Misako paled, in her haste she had not considered what should have been obvious ”I didn’t…that’s not fair!”
The Tanuki laughed again, ”Oh don’t worry fox-girl, I won’t ask much - I just need you to run a few errands for me. Then I will be on my way, and you’re much too big to accompany me.”
”um, errands.”
”Yes, return these.” Tanuki pulled objects from… nowhere, and dropped them on Misako’s bed mat, all the the things that were stolen…

= = = = =

Not daring to push Tanuki further, Misako spent most of the next month trying to return all the stolen items, while Tanuki followed her around watching. Sneaking out on a night or during her little free time, listening into conversation to try and match item to owner. And through it all she had to continue her studies, more vigilantly than ever for fear her ‘errands’ would be discovered.
Sometimes Tanuki would help her, telling her where to go, or ‘tricks of the trade’, other times he would go out of his way to be a hindrance, making noise and causing her distraction.

In the end it was over. She thought it miraculous that she managed it without being discovered, she was no mythical ninja, or even a particularly good hunter, but everything was back with it’s original owner.

”Very good, very good, ready for another round.” the Tanuki laughed at her, as she merely groaned. ”Maybe I should keep you, after all you do belong to me.” Misako almost stopped breathing, her own foolishness had got her into this, but surely she’d suffered enough. ”But no, I have tarried here too long, I return the gift I tricked from you and may it no longer be said the Kitsune can outwit the Tanuki.”

With a wide grin, he was gone.

= = = = =

Looking back later Misako realised that she was incredibly lucky the spirit did not ask for more, and to watch her wording with spirits more carefully.

truemane
2017-12-18, 09:40 PM
"Gedan is names the Fool's Guard, for its chief purpose is to lure the foolish or unwary with the appearance of weakness. But a moment's pause too long, or a moment's movement too soon, and the appearance of weakness becomes weakness in truth."

Misako had been home for barely a week when she saw him.

Totokane, the eldest son of one of her father's most junior retainers. He was low status. He was barely even a samurai. He was also barely lettered and unschooled in the niceties of court and etiquette.

But he was beautiful.

The very moment Misako set her eyes upon him she could think of nothing else. All day she sat and thought vague, unformed, fevered thoughts of touching his hair. Of him smiling at her and taking her hand and laughing with her at some shared joke and maybe they would sit in the garden and she would lie her head in his lap and...

Her fantasties rarely got much farther than that. By the time she hit the lap stage, she was usually blushing furiously and had her head stuff so far into her pillow that her own breath made her face wet.

And she had seen him cast sidelong glances at her when he passed her in the courtyard. His duties carried him all over the castle, but all the same she thought maybe he found excuses to be places she was likely to be.

It was impossible, of course. She was a daimyo's daughter. And a Shugenja. And her father would absolutely have a fit if he caught her making doe-eyes at a boy whose family barely merited guarding the vegetables.

But all the same, she found herself growing slightly bolder. Just last night, as he walked along with another guard, she managed to walk close enough to him to brush her fingers against the silk of his kimono. She even thought she felt his thigh beneath the fabric.

She was barely even able to sleep that night.

The next morning she got up early enough to be dressed and ready and sitting on the bench near her favorite tree and ready for him to appear on his morning rounds.

And, as she often did, she looked up into the branches to where she knew lay the little mark she had made so many years ago. Except this time she as shocked to see little Tenshi sitting in the branches.

She started and stood, Totokane forgotten momentarily. "Tenshi!" she called out, although whether she used her human voice, her kami voice, her mind or nothing at all she could not have said, "Have you come to see me?"

The little fox bent his head, and said, sadly, "No, child. We have come to see the boy. The guardsman's son."

Misako's eyes narrowed. She saw now that Tenshi's form was shifting and wavering and drifting like sand in a wind. He was not Tenshi then, nor even an animal spirit, but an Air Kami. "Why, Great Kami?" she asked, slipping into more formal tones, as was right, "What interest does a Great One have in such a one? However wonderful and beautiful he might be?"

The kami cocked its little fox head sideways. "Because he is ours, child. Soon he will walk among us on his way to Meido."

Its eyes fell on her then and the sharpness of its gaze took her back a step.

"You will give him to us."

And Totokane came around the corner, saw her, smiled his radiant beautiful smile and turned toward her.

So I was going to go with 'Misako has a funny crush and does funny girl crush things' but it felt dismissive. So here's her getting a message from the spirits that, somehow, she was going to kill the beautiful, lugubrious Totokane. Or be responsible for his death? Or in some other fashion deliver him to the spirits?

Or maybe not?

I don't know. You tell me. But show us a good old fashioned collision between the two parts of Misako's life. And what happens after?

spinningdice
2017-12-19, 07:01 PM
Misako's heart went even more a flutter when Totokane appeared, the additional anxiety further pushing her crush. Realising she knew nothing of the kami's request she turned back, but of course it was gone.

Her mind turned to smush as she tried to process everything at once. Am I supposed to kill him, does he die and I guide his spirit to the kami, why is his smile so distracting, and his hair... he can't live, what am I doing? Unable to process anything, especially with him approaching, she blushed furiously and fled to the safety of her chambers.

In relative security and able to think more clearly (if barely), she considered the problem, there was no-one she could turn to for help. Her father, while wise and respectful of the kami, did not know their ways and would not understand. Besides there had been a cold current on their relationship since her return, it did not seem right to bother him.

There were no more senior Shugenja at her father's estate, the temple was only a days ride away, but not only could it anger the kami if she was seen fleeing her duties, but what advice could they give? When the kami asked of you directly you could stand against them and risk losing their favour forever, or do their bidding. This was not a minor spirit that would be dismissed and ignored. One of the great Air spirits wanted Totokane, was it her place to risk all the relationships she had built with the spirits over a guardsman's son?

After hours of deliberation she decided a solution, she would "give" him three days. If he was still alive at the end of that time, she would bring about his death...

Resolving it in her mind did not make sleep come any easier that night.

Will update later, it's too late in the day for me here (it's midnight) and I have to work tomorrow

spinningdice
2017-12-22, 08:41 AM
Misako spent the next three days keeping close to Totokane, thinking that if he did die, she should be close.

This was a mistake, as anyone could have told her. Despite her attempts to remain aloof he was so nice to her, and so very handsome and no art or poetry could do him justice, she felt herself falling for him ever more.

The third day arrived, and it seemed the spirits would not allow her an easy way out. Finding Totokane was easy, he seemed to find excuses to be around her as she did him. "I wish to go hunting, I need an escort." he merely smiled and nodded, perhaps keen to spend time in the woods alone with her.

They spent hours in the woods together as she tried to put off the inevitable, hoping that he would befall an accident or that there would be a sign that this was all some great joke of the kami.

In the end, as he moved ahead to flush out a boar, she pulled back on her bowstring and fired.

Misako was a barely competent practictioner of Kyudo, but her arrow flew true today, slicing through his throat neatly and he dropped to the ground. She rushed over, apologies and explanations ready on her lips, but as she knelt beside him his last words to her were "I'm sorry" as the light faded from his eyes.

She looked around, "It is done, I've done your bidding - you can have him." there was no answer from the kami or otherwise. Self doubt flooded Misako, had she been tricked? Did she imagine the whole encounter? Had Totokane died for no reason?

Misako wasn't strong, but she found the strength to lift his body, and carry it to where the border between Chikushudo and the mortal realm was weakest, appealing again for a sign. None came.

She returned home with his katana, trying to keep her dignity intact until she reached her father. "I'm sorry, there was an accident, I... killed Totokane." her doubt filled her and she couldn't tell her father she had been told to kill him. Couldn't admit that she may have been tricked, or delusional or too trusting. He simply nodded and made arrangements to retrieve his body.

They never found the body in the woods, perhaps the spirits had taken it after all. She gave a ritualised apology to his father and due recompense was paid, her mind left ill at ease.

truemane
2018-01-02, 09:39 PM
"Gedan is transition. Between rest and strike. Between chudan and tsuki, between balance and agression. To stand Gedan is to claim that you have already won."

Misako had been home from school for a while now. A few months. Long days of light duties and empty time. Cool nights of short walks and deep sleep. She'd been home, in fact, just long enough to wonder if this was what she was supposed to be doing (and if so, what for? and if not, then what?) when the large ship came down the river and docked down the hill at the small pier at the edge of her father's estate.

It was a real event. There was seldom anything at their pier save small barges and fishing vessels. This, however, was a ship. Long, wide, with long, powerful oars. It could be seen from the top of the south wall (and Misako had lots of competing company for a good look). And they could also see her father ride down and the whole delegation come back.

The rest of the day was a whirlwind of frenzied activity. Food and drink and entertainment had to be procured, and quickly. Misako could tell by the intensity of the frenzy that these people were important, but that was nothing new. What was unusual was the tone of the activity. Important usually meant imperious and self-important and obnoxious. Misako was used to the castle jumping to prepare for the arrival of people no one wanted around. But this.... this wasn't just rush it was excitement.

But it wasn't until several hours later that anyone sent for Misako. She was in her room, hair combed, kimono new and clean. She hadn't quite dared to sneak out and go peeking. Just in case.

And eventually she was sent for. Her father sent for her to come to the main audience chamber.

Nervously she made her way down. The closer she got, the more frenzied the activity. Servants rushed to and fro with food and drink. Smaller rooms contained groups of samurai she didn't recognize, all drinking and eating and singing loudly (and a little impertinently).

But the main audience room, despite being the largest, was also almost empty. Misako entered to find only her father, her father's bodyguard, and a man she'd never seen before.

Instead of sitting on his knees as was proper, he lounged on his side, up on one elbow. His kimono was askew and open, showing his muscled chest. He wore long, straight moustaches. He was tall and handsome. As she walked in he was laughing at something and his laugh was disarming and infectious. Whatever he was laughing at, it was something good and noble. You could feel it. He never laughed at anything low or base or mean. He didn't laugh quietly and carefully, as was proper, he opened his mouth, threw his head back, and laughed. It was almost indecent.

Her father saw her and ushered her in. "Mi-kun, come in, come in."

Upon seeing her the strange man sat up properly and leaned forward and gave her a good long look, one hand stroking his moustache.

"Ya, Usagi-sama, look at her, indeed."

He peered down at her.

"I've heard you're past your gempukku, a new-minted Shugenja, ya? How are you finding womanhood so far?"

His voice was deep and rich and smooth and rolling like the sea. His eyes were bright and filled with mirth. A slight sheen of sweat stuck out on his face and arms and chest.

Okay! Final scene. This one is a traditional PbP scene. I post, you post, I post. You now only have control over Misako, like normal. You don't have to roll anything. This is all still 'in the past' so clearly she survived this and wound up in the story. So respond, I'll respond, and we'll move forward.

As always, feel free to contact me if you have questions.

spinningdice
2018-01-03, 07:49 AM
Misako glances to her father, that question seemed... direct. She wondered at the motives of this man and her father alike, was he trying to marry her off already? Surely not, this must be something else. She bows slightly, her eyes lingering on his chest as she does so, rising back to his face as she rises.

"I have found myself well... honoured guest, though I fear my study of the spiritual has left me at a disadvantage in the affairs of family and friends. The entire household brims with such interest at your presence yet no one has given me word of who you are." she smiles shyly, hoping her light makeup is still enough to cover her blush... was that too bold? She could have given him chance to introduce himself without such a prompt.

truemane
2018-01-03, 10:18 AM
He leaned back on his cushion and his smile widened, showing very bright, very strong teeth.

"So! Have you not? All apologies offered and forgivenesses begged young Shugenja Kitsune-san! Normally my name runs ahead of me like a dutiful little herald and I grow complacent in my notoriety."

A sly look over to her father. "And certainly no one bothered to make polite introductions." And then that high-voltage gaze back at her. "So it stands to us, yes? To do what must be done? Yes?"

He bowed low to her. Far lower than an honoured guest to a host's daughter would require. But somehow it felt sincere and not pandering or mocking.

"I am named Tenjin. I am the lord of only myself so if you can refrain yourself from attaching that particular title to the back of my name, I shall be grateful to you. And your name I know already. But it would do me great honour if you could lay in my ears with your own voice."

There was a light playfulness to his words, as though he was saying them mostly to hear himself talk (and to see what she would do).

spinningdice
2018-01-03, 11:24 AM
Tenjin, the name gnawed in the back of her mind, but she couldn't place it, he mentoned no clan or famiily name either... And no-one treated her father that way. Not even his wife (not that I've been around them together that much?).

"Certainly Tenjin, I am Misako, as you well know." since he was witholding his clan and family, then so would she, pointless as that was.
It did not seem proper to push further, but Tenjin seemed to care little of propriety "I sense it was you who requested my prescence here, rather than my Father. Could I ask why?"

truemane
2018-01-03, 08:28 PM
He made an amused sound. "That is what you sense, is it? Well. Regardless. Would it suit your senses if I that I merely wished to meet the daughter of an old friend?"

He looked at Itayo. "She's a strong one, Usagi-sama, as you said. A born fighter. But she's pert."

He looked back at Misako. His voice softened a little. "Will you sit with us, Misako-san? And speak with two old men?"

spinningdice
2018-01-03, 09:00 PM
Misako glances at her father, she didn't recall him using language like strong or fighter to refer to her before... and what is with the Usagi? (never mind pert...)
"I have spent much of my life around old men, I would not use such a phrase to describe either of you. But i will sit with you a while all the same." she nods, taking a seat rather more demurely than Tenjin's casual draping.

truemane
2018-01-04, 10:03 PM
As she sat, he leaned back again on his cushion and sipped sake from the small porcelain cup. He watched her as she sat, but not in a predatory or leering way. It was almost.. appraising, although just what he might be appraising was less clear.

When she had settled in Tenjin reached forward and poured her a cup of tea and a cup of sake (she could see her father's eyes widen from the corners of her eyes) and as poured, he leaned forward. "Tell me, Misako-san, is it true you once set a fox upon your father's war council?"

His voice sounded genuinely curious. Although for what, precisely, was hard to tell.

spinningdice
2018-01-04, 10:50 PM
Misako reaches for the sake, in part to see how far she could push her father, then she almost spills it as Tenjin asked about the fox "That was a long a time ago, I was much younger then." her initial surprise over she grinned slightly "No, not quite. I did bring the fox into the house, because it needed help. He only went to council because of all the food there." she sips her sake. "Did my father tell you about that, or has truth turned to legend and taken flight?" she had tried to forget that event, though now that she looked back it did seem foolish.

truemane
2018-01-05, 09:41 AM
She could sense more than see her father's disapproval as she reached for the sake, but he said nothing, merely sat in his own displeasure. Tenjin's eyes flickered to him as she touched the cup and she could have sworn she saw him give the barest ghost of a nod and smile before turning his attentions back to her.

"A little of both!" he said, and then laughed. He seemed a man who liked to laugh. "The tale flits from bush to bush wherever you travel among the Kitsune. And also your father told me once, a few years ago." He wasn't able to laugh about it then. But I think he's passed into humour over the matter now.

He emptied his cup and re-filled it. He gave hers a look to make sure she didn't need refreshing.

"But what I want to know, Misako-san, is how long was the fox in the house? And how did no one know about it until the Great Spirit Fox Council?"

spinningdice
2018-01-05, 12:05 PM
Misako keeps her cup close, while she enjoyed the small rebellion she did not want to dull her senses around this man "He was ill when I brought him in. Caught in a cold snap near the end of spring, he was malnourished and would have died had I left him there. He was so timid at first, as is the nature of foxes, so hiding him was not so hard."

She takes another small sip.

"Maybe ten days, not so long. Another few days and I could have taken him out and taught him to hunt and scavenge. Though I was still young and he was adorable, so maybe I would not have been so responsible."

She glanced back at her father, resentment for what he made her do had long since burned away, she shrugged, her voice becoming colder "He lived a little longer in comfort and died quicky without pain, a better fate than had I left him alone..." I won't cry for him again, I'm not a little girl any more

Misako distracts herself by trying to change the subject "Of course he wasn't the first animal I hid, there was a raichō I kept quiet for nearly a month while his broken wing healed, and if he'd been caught he would have likely been dinner." she smiles, just a hint of mischief in her face.

truemane
2018-01-05, 09:43 PM
"Ha!" Tenjin slaps his knee and laughs. "Speaking of the truth taking flight! I hadn't heard that one."

His face grows mock-serious and he holds up his fingers, as though counting. "But let's see. I have heard that you could speak to animals while a babe in arms. That you summoned an army of tanuki to vex the teachers that displeased you. That the kami themselves whisper you sleep. And that you murdered a village boy for not returning your affections."

He sips his sake and watches her. His face is still mock-serious, but it was the mock that was mock now, not the serious.

spinningdice
2018-01-05, 10:20 PM
Misako's face drops. She had half-expected this "That was an accident. I have met with his family and made a thousand apologies. I know the Shugenja's place, we are as much weapons as any Bushi, and if I am called upon I will fight." she swallows. "But it was the best part of a year before I could even pick up a bow again. I own my mistake, but will not make it again."

Of course I did murder him, at the behest of a spirit out of fear of rejection from another world I loved. I should have challenged them, dismissed them. It is my place to command and marshall spirits to my will, not blindly obey.

She looked back to him, realising she'd been staring into her cup like she'd drunk too much. Her father had taken her excuse at face value, and his household had been forced to concur. Did Tenjin see her guilt on her face? If so would he read into it more than she said.

"The rest is just stories, each with a seed of truth within, but with so much weight of romantic embellishment they no longer resemble what is true."

Misako takes a sip from her cup and realises she had taken it's last.

"Why do you test me, is there something you really wish to ask? Or is all this just a game at my expense?"

truemane
2018-01-06, 12:27 AM
Tenjin nods and leans back and strokes his moustaches thoughtfully. He watches her for a few pregnant moments. Her face. Her eyes. Nods once. And again. Smiles. "And what if," he says his voice conspiratorial, "You had to do it again? Would you? Could you?"

spinningdice
2018-01-06, 08:12 AM
She wants to impress him, run away, talk forever and remain in silence all at once. She starts talking before considering her answer properly.
"Kill someone? In our position it is sometimes necessary. But I am not the storm or fire to take lives indiscriminately. If I have do so again the needs to be thought and direction behind it."
Was that the right answer? She cannot shirk responsibility, one day she may be called to battle, or pass judgement on someone, she obviously could kill someone, in cold blood. Would she again?

truemane
2018-01-06, 06:00 PM
Tenjin grunts. "Wise words. Still pert. But wise."

He empties his cup and lays it down to the side without refilling it. Leans forward, one elbow on the table.

"Do you know the hardest thing about leading, Misako-san? Everything a vassal tells you can be one thing, or another. A refusal to follow orders blindly can be wisdom or stubborness. A fiery heart can be passion or foolishness. Steadfastness can be true courage, or brittle grandstanding. How can you know? How can you decide who is a true samurai? And who is merely telling you pretty lies?"

A pause.

"Misako-san. Tell me. If I could give you anything, like the magic fish in Mantis stories, what would it be?"

spinningdice
2018-01-06, 06:32 PM
Misako opened her mouth and then paused.

Has he led me to my answer... Am I being played like a puppet?

"Would I wish for wealth and power, I have what I need already. Friends or love would be cheapened if granted by a wish, I would rather create them by my actions. I will not undo what I have already done for it may change who I am now. Eternal or long life can be a curse as much a blessing."

"I know many of the old stories, a wish is rarely what it seems, but if I could have a wish without a worry of strings attached... I would wish for understanding. To know the consequences of the paths before me with the freedom to choose the best path for myself, and have confidence in my choices."

"But wishes are a childs game, or a romantic fancy. You still haven't told me what you want from me."

truemane
2018-01-07, 06:45 PM
Tenjin's face remains a strange mix of serious and amused, but he was fully engaged now, fully connected to Misako. Whatever this was, it wasn't a game anymore. Tenjin was playing with her now, he was talking to her.

"No, I haven't. Because this isn't so much about me. I know what I want from you. What I want to know is what you want from me. I know the shimmering shadows of my own heart. But you, Misako? Pertness is another of those things. It is the outward show if inner strength? Or is it all there is?"

A pause.

"Do you enjoy your life here?"

He smiled and shook his head.

"No, no. That's not the right question. Of course you enjoy it. But do you love it? If the magic fish granted your wish, what would you do with it? Would you sit on a mountain crag like an ise zumi? Would you walk the floors of your father's fortress in wise, wise circles for all time? What?"

"What do you want, Misako?"

spinningdice
2018-01-07, 07:06 PM
Misako does not hesitate this time.
"I honour my family and stand prepared to take responsibility here at home, should I be needed. But what is wisdom without action? No, I would not sit here forever, nor upon a lonely mountain top." she smiles "But I lack the wisdom the detirmine my path, I am no courtier to entrap others, nor a warrior to distinguish myself in battle. I have my training and talents but I am not sure how to put them to use."

She glances at her father again, "Doubtless my father has already agreed to what you propose, otherwise we would not be having this discussion. So if you can provide direction, I am willing to follow. Make my mark, even if only in the shadow of yours."

Misako blushes slightly, she had not intended to respond so... passionately.

truemane
2018-01-07, 08:09 PM
Tenjin smiles kindly and indulgently at Misako's blush. "Do not worry, Shugenja-san, for I value both passion and restraint in my vassals. And I am more than willing to accept pert so long as it is tempered with both. And you cannot know this, but knowing your skills but not how to use them makes you a greater asset than any swinging, swaggering bushi convinced of her place and worth. And as for that, I have known a great many samurai who fared less well than you have done in a tough spot."

He nodded and reached again for his cup.

"In fact it was your father who asked me here. The question was whether I agreed. And whether you agreed."

He clapped his hands and laughed.

"So! Shugenja Kitsune Misako-san, Mistress of the Forests and Blessed among Animal Kind, I, Yoritomo Tenjin, Sailor, Shugenja of the Skies and Seas, and high scion of the Yoritomo line, have been given a great honour: stewardship and lordship over the Sanmyaku Valley to the North, far from the seas and islands of my youth. A great many samurai feel I am unworthy of such a gift and will do anything to keep me from it. I have need of strong hands and strong minds to aid me in commandeering this great gift from them. It will be difficult. Dangerous. It is far from your home and filled with dangers and enemies of all kinds. Victory is far from certain. Failure is shame, and probably death."

A pause. A twinkle in his eyes.

"Does that sound like fun?"

spinningdice
2018-01-07, 08:39 PM
Misako grins widely Tenjin is almost absurd in his enthusiasm, and she cannot help but be infected by it.

"While I fear your interpretation of fun. I will align my fate to yours... until I am recalled at least." the last was said to Tenjin, but spoken to her father a reminder that she would not shirk her duty should he have need.

She studied Tenjin a moment longer, his games and... familiarity had led her to wonder if there was to be a marriage arrangement, she ruefully considers that she would not have found it distasteful. But this seemed more interesting, and more honest. He saw value in her, not in what he could gain from a marital alliance.

She dismisses such philisophical though for the time being, and reaches for the sake bottle to refill Tenjin and her father's cups.

truemane
2018-01-09, 09:31 PM
Tenjin leaned back on his heels and straightened his back and placed his hands on his knees. And, despite the fact that he was disheveled, and dressed in a rumpled kimono, and was more than a little drunk, and had a sheen of sweat on his body, when he looked down at her his face was stern and imperious and a sense of control and power and... yes... majesty, radiated from him like light from a candle. And she could feel the energy in the room bend toward him and sh knew, if she were to use her other senses, that she would see all of the kami in the room gathered around him.

"Very well then, Kitsune Misako. If you are certain, if your word is true and your heart is set upon the course, come and kneel before me as to your liegelord and speak your oath of fealty."

Your next post is the end of the scene. So write us to a good, strong finish. You got here a little earlier than everyone else. Anything that happens after this is 'in game.'

spinningdice
2018-01-10, 12:09 PM
Misako looked Tenjin in the eyes, before turning away from him to face her father, nodding her head in a familial bow "Father, I have never sworn an oath of fealty to you, but we are bound nontheless by bonds of loyalty and blood. I humbly request permission to serve Yoritomo Tenjin." as her father gave a curt nod as to his assent Misako was struck by how much attention Tenjin commanded, until she was physically turnd away from him she had barely paid attention to anythng else.

She takes a breath and turns back to Tenjin, kneeling before him, [b]"As the fortunes and spirts bear witness I swear to serve by your side, Yorimoto Tenjin, to put your life above my own and to act in your best interest until such a time as you release me from your service or I am released by death." she falls silent a moment, remaining knelt before him.

truemane
2018-01-11, 06:00 PM
Tenjin sits, silent and still, as Misako speaks. He nods and looks down at her as she finishes.

"I accept your sword and your service, Kitsune Misako. And I name you Magistrate in Extraordinary to the Seat of the Steward of the Sanmyaku Valley. Aside from your duty to serve my interests, obey my orders, and see that my will is made manifest, you are charged with ensuring that the spiritual energy of the valley is aligned to me and that any divine threats are noted and, if possible, neutralized."

A pause.

"A samurai seeks not reward, but a liegelord's beneficence must be commensurate with loyalty. Serve me well, and you will have my gratitude. Betray me, and my rage will be deep and strong."

His mouth turned up in a small smile.

"No, go. Make ready. We leave first tomorrow."

Let's call that the end of the scene, unless you have something else you wish to add.