PDA

View Full Version : What could you do with these magic items?

The Cats
2017-11-21, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking of giving a couple items with weird effects to my players, but want to hear some uses/abuses the playground collective could come up with for them first, in case there's something excessively nutty I'm missing. Keep in mind I try to be a very lenient DM when it comes to creatively cool things.

Transforming Splint Mail (Also if you think of a better name...)
Requires attunement
This splint mail is made of hundreds of interlocking silver plates.
The person attuned to this armour can don or doff it as a action by speaking a command word.
The command word can also be used to transform the armour in various ways. It can form shapes and simple objects, wrap around an object, or be donned by a creature, the current wearer is touching, etc.
(Not super specific with the rules as my group runs very rules light. It's basically: Whatever a suit made of hundreds of plates that can shift around and reform itself can do, this thing can do. One thing I've considered is using it to restrain a creature, which I would be ok with, since doing so would leave the fighter armourless and have a chance of breaking the armour if the creature is strong enough.)

Callistria's Courier
This silver gauntlet is made of dozens of interlocking silver plates.
The wearer of this gauntlet can speak a command word as an action to transform the gauntlet into a wasp construct that will attempt to sting a target creature or object within 60 feet. If the target is a creature it must make a DC15 dex save or take one point of piercing damage. The wasp then returns to the wearer, transforming back into a gauntlet.
If the wearer is holding a vial of liquid when the gauntlet transforms, the wasp will have that liquid stored within itself. The creature being stung is immediately affected by whatever liquid the wasp is carrying. If the liquid was a poison, the creature makes the saves with disadvantage. Some other liquids' effects may be more potent when delivered this way (like acid doing more damage, that sort of thing. This could also be used to deliver healing potions)

FYI the party will be level 6 when they find these. The splint mail will definitely go to the fighter. The courier is a toss up: Other players are a wizard, rogue, and moon druid.

Kane0
2017-11-21, 10:54 PM
Well judging by the Tenser's Transformation thread that armor might find use with the wizard too later on.

Can the wasp deliver goodberry juice?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-22, 01:17 AM
That 'Shifting Silver Splintmail' (feel free to take that name) seems pretty nifty. And the best (ab)use I can see right now would be shifting it from the Fighter to an enemy caster to nullify their casting ability.
Beyond that, it's just really easy to get in or out of the armor, making for an easier time not getting rekt in a nightly ambush fight.

Avigor
2017-11-22, 12:44 PM
I'd strongly advise allowing a saving throw to avoid having the armor wrap completely around an enemy; I'm thinking Dexterity. Might even be worth having the first save to be against getting grappled as the armor partially wraps around a limb and allow attempts to get out of the grapple, but I'd probably give them disadvantage; then, use another grapple check on the armor wearer's turn (with no disadvantage to the defender, maybe even give them a bonus to resist) to try and fully engulf the enemy.