PDA

View Full Version : Celestia's Finest: Your Doom Approaches

Miltonian
2017-11-22, 12:41 AM
Rose sits on the floor of the Assembly, her notes on a hand-held computer in front of her. This is it. Today is the day she defends her queen before the leaders of the nation. She has the evidence. She has the rhetoric. And she's pretty sure she has the majority of public opinion behind her. Now, she just needs to put enough pressure on the representatives to make them stop this barbaric practice once and for all.

The Assembly sits on a raised circle of seats, surrounding the main stage. The stage that Rose will soon be called upon to mount and address the nation from. A full crowd of ponies sits around her, commoners and nobles alike all here to see what she will say. Her sister is here too, ready to cheer her on, and her parents are watching from home. Red puts a hoof on hers.

"You got this, sis," she says, "You'll do great. Don't worry so much."

DigoDragon
2017-11-22, 12:50 AM
Rose, nervous but still determined to go through with this, smiles at her sister's encouragement. "Thanks, Red. I'm as prepared as I'm going to get." She adjusts her suit jacket a bit. Rose doesn't often wear suits, and such fashion felt restrictive. It would be worth it though. She is going to protect Chrysalis and anyone else who would find themselves before such a sentencing. This is Equestria! The nation of love and tolerance.

She sits and awaits the proceedings to begin.

Miltonian
2017-11-22, 01:04 AM
Politics never goes quickly. Rose waits for much longer than she would like. But eventually, an elderly mare comes to the fore and clears her throat. "This session is now called to order." The hall falls quiet. After going though a few preliminaries, she calls for Rose to take the stand and give her address.

As Rose moves to the stage, she spots two ponies that she'd rather not see right now. High above, there are special boxes reserved for dignitaries and royalty. On one side, Judge Doom sits alone in a box, eyes cold and distant. He watches her like a vulture watches a dying traveler. And in the other, Celestia sits, but beside her is probably the worst pony for Rose to encounter now.

Princess Cadence.

DigoDragon
2017-11-22, 09:47 AM
Princess Cadence.

It feels like ice runs through Rose's veins. Judge Doom is expected to be here. Yeah, he's a scary fellow, but Rose spent time to hype herself up in order to face him. Perhaps not so much up on high like the vulture her is. Still, it is no surprise he is here. But Princess Candence?! Why is she here? Did the universe feel it needs to give Rose a good sucker punch?

'Alright, Rose, you can still do this.' It's just Princess Cadence. She isn't going to interrupt the proceedings.

Rose takes the stand and pulls up her notes. She has rehearsed this address several times. As she speaks, Rose calls up several images to project to her audience. "Mares and gentle stallions of the Assembly. I thank you for this opportunity to present my argument in defense of Queen Chrysalis from the outdated and inponane (inhumane) sentence of horn removal. This practice holds consequences more dire than simply the loss of the ability to cast magic. It cuts deep into the victim's very essence."

"Unicorns and changelings have specific nerve connections between their horns and mind. In this example here, Exhibit A, we can see the effects that a cracked or broken horn can have on the control a unicorn loses with even basic ponykinesis spells. Such unstable magic strains the upper pre-motor cortex, leading to a sensation of weak muscle function when attempting to cast. Continued strain can further damage the neuron connection, leading to temporary or permanent paralysis of the victim's limbs. Similar conditions can befall a changeling."

She changes the image to Exhibit B. "These are photos of unicorns recovered after their horns were removed by corvid raiders. Each of these victims displayed loss of muscle function, and damage to their upper cortex region due to blood and brain fluid loss. In half of these examples, infection occurred and led to death. Now those of you still skeptical may ask what the death rate is in clinical conditions where a skilled doctor handles removal of the horn. There are scant records of the procedure under ideal clinical conditions, but it is clear that deterioration of the victim's cortex region does occur in a significant percentage of procedures and with there there is always a chance of death."

"Mares and gentle-colts of the Assembly, by removing Queen Chrysalis' horn, you stand a significant chance of condemning her to a death sentence that is painful, debilitating, and against the ethical oath that all doctors take to do no harm to their patients. This horn removal process is harm. Its' roots go back to ancient times of uncivilized tribes taking trophies during war with neighboring settlements. Are we not better than tribal ways? Are we not an advanced society of learned ponies and changelings?"

Rose moves to her next Exhibit. "This is a model of a magic suppression ring, identical to the unit Chrysalis wears on her horn. These devices are potent, but more importantly, they have shown no evidence of causing lasting harm to the wearer. They operate on dispelling principals of magic, muffling the flow of spells from being properly cast, but with no need to sever tissue and nerve endings from horn to mind. This device is a technological marvel and I have obtained the utmost confidence of over 120 prison wardens in current and past service through a list of signatures here. It has been perfectly adequate in keeping Queen Chrysalis' spellcasting in check. And if these devices can hold her magical abilities, then I see no reason we need to return to the barbaric practice of surgically removing horns.
So, with confidence, I implore the Assembly to reconsider their earlier charge and strike from the courts the notion of horn removal as a valid punishment. Equestria is a noble and enlightened society,
with fairness and malice toward no criminal. We must not lose focus on what makes us the great nation of modern times--our compassion and mercy to not punish criminals, but to help reform them and welcome them back into the fold of our great family."

Miltonian
2017-11-22, 03:48 PM
The crowd claps politely. The officiant comes to the foot of the stairs and clears her throat again. "We will now field a few prepared questions for Lt. Rose. I believe Rep. Pure Blood of Canterlot is first?"

A white stallion neocorn with a short blonde mane rises and adjusts his tie. "Thank you." He raises his voice to address Rose. "Lt. Rose, you are a field medic, correct?"

"Might then it be a safe assumption that you have never performed this surgery yourself and are therefore personally unfamiliar with the techniques that would be used? That your sources come from a second-hoof perspective?" He pulls out his comm and holds up the screen. "I have here a recent study of this issue that claims, with modern medicine, these concerns you raise are not relevant anymore."

DigoDragon
2017-11-22, 04:08 PM
Rose verbally affirms that she is a field medic. She then sees that they brandish 'big guns' indeed. Rose remains calm, her tail curling to the other side.

"I have cared for many unicorns and changelings suffering from broken horns. I have familiarity with the complications, if not the surgical procedure of removing them." Rose pulls up a list of several affidavits. "I also am well-connected in the medical community. I have sought the expertise of surgeons from several highly accredited universities and hospitals; John Trotkins, Whinny Cornell, Vanderbuck, the Neigho Clinic. The claim your study suggests is up against the brightest minds in modern equine medicine."

"I would like to further point out that such a procedure is not reversible. Even if the patient were to survive the operation, there will be the psychological issue of having no magical abilities for the rest of their lives. It's one thing to lose a limb--modern cybernetics can easily replace a lot leg, as I can attest to, but to lose one's horn and forever be denied a part of that pony's core essence? I believe that is still very much relevant."

Miltonian
2017-11-22, 05:06 PM
Another representative stands up, a well-groomed earth pony mare with a theatrical air about her. "Hello Lt! Broad Street, here, from Manehatten. How do you do?"

"Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion on this unquestionably serious and weighty matter," her tone is warm and sincere, but the kind of warmth that politicians have, "I think the real issue here isn't the harshness of the punishment, but whether or not Equestria will be safer with a being like Chrysalis permanently rendered spell-less. Horn cuffs can be removed, after all, and she has historically taken every opportunity to attack and plot the downfall of our nation."

"Additionally, some have claimed that reforming her might be easier after the procedure. Like how declawing a cat makes them tamer. So from a purely medical standpoint, with all the benefits of modern medicine and the highest quality care, is death a reasonable concern?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-22, 05:35 PM
"Ah, yes. Declawing a cat. A known procedure that amputates the outermost bone in a cat's paw," Rose recites, knowing enough about this subject. "Often done so that the cat cannot claw up that new couch or scratch the owner. However, what if the cat finds itself outside in a fight against another cat who still has their claws? The declawed feline is at a grave disadvantage. Further, declawed cats cannot walk the same way as clawed cats because their paws meet the ground differently. It would be like walking around in very uncomfortable shoes."

"So why is declawing Chrysalis a bad idea? Without her horn she could only perform her natural shape-shifting ability. Harmless right? Once rendered declawed she poses on real threat to the Equestrian public, but then how can she defend herself should a radical individual or group attack her? How would she feel toward us as a society that wishes her to join us, but only on our terms of amputating her ability to use magic? Could anyone here in this room remain friends with someone that does not trust them to that degree? I say to the Assembly the answer is no. To cut off Chrysalis' horn is to give her the wrong message. She would only grow resentful and spite Equestria further. I understand it is not easy to change a changeling like her, but isn't true friendship worth that extra effort to accept someone as they are instead of surgically altering them to conform with something 'safer'?"

Miltonian
2017-11-22, 09:44 PM
"And," Pure Blood butts in, "Do you think Chrysalis can be befriended?"

Rose senses a slight intake of breath and all the eyes in the room focus on her just a little more sharply. Justice Doom's face is a frozen mask.

DigoDragon
2017-11-22, 10:03 PM
"And," Pure Blood butts in, "Do you think Chrysalis can be befriended?"

Rose steels her conviction. "Yes, I believe Chrysalis can be befriended."

Miltonian
2017-11-23, 11:31 AM
The Assembly mutters. The crowd murmurs. Not everypony agrees with her.

"And who," Pure Blood continues, "Would you have do so?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-23, 01:15 PM
"I would be amiss if I put such a task to just one pony," Rose answers. "I believe the EDF can do this together. We have had a lot of interaction with Chrysalis; civil discourse, friendly banter, earning her trust. I have attended to her as physician and she hasn't had the desire to throw me across the room for the past weeks." That last part was meant as a bit of humor and Rose smiles when she delivers the line.

"We have made progress, and as we continue to work with her she is opening up a little bit more each time. Roam of course wasn't built in a day, but through patience and fair treatment we feel that Chrysalis will come around to give friendship an honest second chance."

Miltonian
2017-11-23, 11:06 PM
"And your personal feelings?" a second mare rep breaks in, "Would you say that your personal feelings haven't clouded your judgement in any way?"

A few eyes head toward Cadence, but the princess keeps a schooled face, preventing them from reading her.

So...how's Rose's bluffing?

DigoDragon
2017-11-23, 11:23 PM
Rose's bluffing? Haha, she has no peer!

Assuming she's the only one in the comparison. :smallredface: [roll0]

"My personal feelings? My personal feelings are that Chrysalis deserves a second chance at redemption. Her first opportunity was robbed from her and she has been locked away ever since. How is that fair to her?"

"But to answer your question, no it has not clouded my judgement. My conviction here is strong. Chrysalis can reform and cutting off her horn is detrimental to the work the EDF has done toward helping her reform."

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 01:38 AM
The interview winds on. But Rose manages to answer their questions with competency. Most of them pick over the small details of her statement, trying to latch onto one little thing they can harp on in order to discredit her entire testimony. Or at least, that's what it feels like. Rose stands firm on the facts, repeating much of the same ones over and over in answer to the same questions phrased different ways. Coal Dust watches with sad eyes from the corner, not doing much more than waiting for it to be over.

Finally, the moderator rises again. "Are there any further questions?"

None are immediately forthcoming. Whether that's a good sign or a poor one, Rose will discover later.

"Then thank you, Lt., for your time. You may step down from the stage now."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 08:09 AM
Rose bows and returns to her seat by her sister. Her heart is still racing, but the adrenaline feels pretty good. She survived the drill of questions and came out a fighter. Rose mentally pats herself on the back. Chrysalis' well-being has a good chance!

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 11:11 AM
"You were great," Red says and gives Rose a warm hug, "Proud of you."

A pony in a suit slips over to them. "Lt. Rose," he says formally, "your presence is requested in room 2354. Please come with me."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 11:38 AM
"Thank's Red," Rose replies happily.

The suit startles her for a moment. She didn't expect that. "Oh? Yes, of course." She gets up and follows over to the indicated room.

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 12:09 PM
The stallion nods curtly and leads Rose out of the main chamber and into the labyrinthine halls of the rest of the building. Finally, she finds herself standing before a door labeled, "Office of the Justices". She can take a pretty good guess at who wants to speak to her.

"It's for your own good," the stallion says quietly, "That you go inside. There are certain matters the judge wishes to keep private. Ones that you have a vested interest in."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 12:15 PM
Well that can't be good. Rose remains calm though, attempting not to show this worry outwardly. She nods to the suit and enters the room, closing the door behind her. "I am here. What is the matter that you wish to discuss with me?" Rose must have put forth a very commendable fight if the justices had to resort to a private audience with her.

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 02:19 PM
Justice Doom sits alone behind a desk. He's dressed in black and looks the very picture of the grumpy old stallion from foal's stories save one thing. He's smiling.

"Lt. Rose," he says, rising to shake her hoof, "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. This shouldn't take very long. Have a seat."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 02:26 PM
Rose politely takes a seat. She remains neutral in tone, trying to keep an air of professionalism. "Of course, judge. What do you have on your mind?"

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 02:28 PM
His smile hardens and his eyes grow cold. "Well, in the interest of not wasting time, I'll spell it out for you. You are going to cease and desist all public activity in support of Queen Chrysalis. And it would be a good idea to cease all private activity too. Won't ask for a retraction of your statements, just that you let the matter drop."

His voice is commanding, the voice of a pony expecting to be obeyed.

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 02:38 PM
Rose raises an eyebrow. "Your honor? That seems like a heavy demand in the face of the evidence supporting Chrysalis' protection and redemption," she says. She's bewildered. "I'd like to know why."

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 02:50 PM
Doom leans forward and speaks in a calm, certain voice. "Because if you don't, not only will you wind up in jail for the rest of your life on charges of treason, but Harrier Squad will be disbanded, your squadmates under investigation, and the EDF under close scrutiny. And if we find any signs of untoward behavior, the entire organization will be put into the scrap heap."

He slides a tablet across to her. The screen shows security footage of her in Chrysalis' cell as the changeling queen runs her hooves over her body, correcting her posture, during their first lesson together.

"As it currently stands, one of the punishments for treason, otherwise known as conspiring with the enemies of Equestria, is horn removal. So I would tread very carefully, Lt., and choose your next few words with care. Do I make myself clear?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 03:02 PM
Rose's ears lower down. This is unfair! How dare he hit so personal! She frowned as such an accusation. Treason? For what, taking a few lessons on standing tall rather than slouching as she used to?

"I was not aware that receiving advice on posture from a prisoner was an act of treason, your honor," She said in a careful tone, her eyes moving between the tablet and her accuser. "This is only friendly banter. Is that not how friendships work? "

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 03:07 PM
"Oh come now," Doom chuckles, "Conspiring with a known enemy of Equestria for the escape of that enemy falls safely within that boundary, Lt. You have been making some very interesting phone calls, as of late."

He leans back in his chair and sighs. "She's only using you, you know. You're an easy target for her."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 03:14 PM
How did he know? Rose was sure she was careful with her phone calls. Did he have her place bugged? No...

"She is not using me. We have a mutual friendship. The circumstances are simply a bit unusual in that Chrysalis requires sustenance of emotion to survive," Rose explains, doing her best to remain calm. "Do you have evidence to back up this nonsense allegation that I am conspiring to free Chrysalis?"

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 03:18 PM
His smile grows colder. "Do you really want to find out?"

He shifts and begins studying papers on his desk. "The decision is yours, of course. I can't force you to act one way or another. If I had it my way, you'd already be behind bars. But I'm allowing you an 'out' as a favor to your commander, my little brother's boot-camp pal, Sun rest his soul."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 03:30 PM
Rose clenched her teeth. Give up on Chrysalis, or go to jail? That's her options? Heck, why doesn't she jump this chair and bash his skull in. One judge versus a combat veteran? Even if he were armed, she could disarm him in two seconds. His death would be so satisfying. ...sigh. No, behind bars Rose couldn't do anything to protect Chrysalis. She'd be as good as dead. And her EDF family would be disbanded. Their credibility, their lives... Rose relaxes her grip on the chair. Doom held all the cards.

For now.

"Alright. Point made. So what happens to Chrysalis from here? You may have my neck in a noose, but Celestia won't tolerate the sentencing you proposed back at her hearing."

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 04:09 PM
"That is no longer your concern," Doom said, "In the future, I advise you to keep away from any further silly flights of fancy. The EDF is vital to the future of Equestria. It would be a shame if you were the one to bring it down."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 04:35 PM
"It is my concern, and it should be yours as well," Rose counters. "I've raised a lot of awareness to Chrysalis' plight. Yeah, the EDF is vital to Equestria's future. Chrysalis is part of Equestria. You can shut me up, but there's hundreds out there who are going to find it more than suspicious if I walk away from this without securing her well-being. How do you plan on explaining my absence? If you're going to discredit me anyway, then there really is no incentive for my silence."

She leans forward and puts booth hooves on the table. "Chrysalis was abused on Tartarus station. I saw the things they did to the prisoners there that would turn your poop white! So look, I'll conceded to your demands; you win. I'll distance myself from her. All I ask, your honor, is that you please show her mercy by allowing her to keep her horn. You know that nullification ring will be more than adequate to keep her cooperative, but what you don't know is how many sympathizers she has out there. It's a lot. I'm not threatening you. I'm warning you that if you harm her, there will be a public outcry. Especially after that solid argument I delivered for her case. I'm sure the video has thousands of hits already. So I implore you, show the public that Equestria stands for love and tolerance. I promise you its the right choice."

Miltonian
2017-11-24, 09:29 PM
Doom watches her dispassionately, papers set aside for the moment. "You're a silly, naive mare, Lt., if you think anything you did here today mattered. Or if you think for one second that bug would sacrifice one scale off her wings to help you. Good day."

He waves his hoof dismissively at her. "The guards will show you your way out. It's easy to lose your way in here."

DigoDragon
2017-11-24, 09:40 PM
Rose clenched her hooves to the desk. "What I did today in the Assembly mattered to a friend."

She gets up and leaves. If the guards come to escort her, she won't fight. She texts her sister that something came up with a friend of the EDF and she'll catch up back at her apartment later. Rose keeps her appearance calm, collected. Neutral. Inside though... the heart of a burning inferno raged.

What could she do now? Oh no, how could she warn Chrysalis? She can't just go back to the castle dungeon. No way would Doom let her have one last goodbye, He could suspect she'd warn Chrysalis. And rightfully so! Could she trust Luna? Maybe she could trust Luna? Stars and moon, Luna please grant her one last visit to tell Chrysalis of the danger!

Miltonian
2017-11-25, 09:45 AM
As Rose walks with two very burly stallions beside her (they were standing right outside the door, listening for calls for help from the justice), a sharp-looking crystal-pony mare with the armor of the Crystal Guard steps up and blocks their way. "Lt. Rose?" she says in an official tone but kind voice, "Princess Cadence would like a word with you, if you are available."

DigoDragon
2017-11-25, 11:23 AM
"Lt. Rose?" she says in an official tone but kind voice, "Princess Cadence would like a word with you, if you are available."

'Oh what now? Am I gonna get blackmailed for dating a coworker? Does she have video of the time Love was sitting on me while I'm all hot-n-bothered? Un-bucking-believable.'

Rose lets out a silent sigh and nods in the affirmative despite feeling like the universe has made her today's chew toy. "Assuming Lefty and Knuckles here are okay with it, yes, I am available to speak to the princess."

Miltonian
2017-11-25, 12:14 PM
The poor guard is a little alarmed at Rose's angered reaction, but maintains military discipline. "Oh, don't worry about them," she says with a smirk directed their way, "You're with me now."

The three guards exchange fiery glances, but the two stallions back away.

Performing a sharp turn, the mare leads Rose away from them and to a private room where Cadence awaits. Upon entering, the princess rises and gives her an uneasy smile. She shifts a little from hoof to hoof and her ears keep trying to lay back. She's nervous about something. Very nervous. "Good afternoon, Lt. Rose," she says gently, "That was a lovely presentation you gave out there."

DigoDragon
2017-11-25, 12:24 PM
Rose sits down. She puts on the pleasant air of a smile despite her own misfortune weighing heavy on her. She holds onto hope though. Her EDF family is all she has left and at least they'll give her strength. Especially Sniper. Stars and moon the crap she put him through. But she hasn't lost him yet. She still has that to live for. Rose almost doesn't notice that Cadance seems nervous. Hmm.

"Thank you, your highness," Rose says with a bow. She takes a seat. "I hope that at least the greater message of discontinuing the practice of horn removal becomes one the general public takes up. I did what I could for my part in it."

Miltonian
2017-11-25, 04:27 PM
"Yes, indeed, well, it was very..." Cadence struggles to keep up an official tone in this meeting. It doesn't last long. "I'm sorry, Rose, but before this conversation goes any further, I have to ask you something." She takes a deep breath.

"Are you, in any way, in love with Chrysalis?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-25, 04:42 PM
There was no amount of preparation that could brace Rose for that kind of question. She winced. "I... was. At one point. And while my friends have helped me... break off such a relationship, I fear that a part of me is still connected to her."

It took a lot of will power for Rose to say that.

Miltonian
2017-11-25, 06:55 PM
Cadence nods and her shoulders slump. "I'm so sorry, Rose. Did she deceive you? You're not hurt, are you?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-25, 07:29 PM
Rose paws at the ground, her ears low. "I'm afraid it was all that... and I hurt others." She takes in a breath and braves looking at Cadance.

"I was so sure I could help her reform. I've studied everything I could on what Starlight Glimmer had done and tried to pick up where she left off... but... I think I was too eager. And she saw that eagerness and turned it against me. I think about the only thing that was my own doing was this work to save her from horn amputation. I'm just glad my friends pulled me back before it got worse than it is now."

She shudders.

Miltonian
2017-11-25, 08:35 PM
Cadence spreads her forelegs wide and offers Rose a hug. "It sounds like you have good friends."

DigoDragon
2017-11-25, 09:07 PM
Rose accepts the hug. "Thank you, princess. I do. I truly do have great friends. I just hope someday Chrysalis will accept our friendship and be counted among us. But... that may be someone else's quest. Someone with more resistance to her charms than I."

Miltonian
2017-11-26, 03:29 PM
Cadence slowly release Rose, almost reluctant. "It's going to take a pony with the patience of a saint and chastity of a monk to do it. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. Please. My husband did and it took years for him to be fully happy. I don't want to see another pony go through that."

She sighs. "I...I want to help her. Or for somepony to. But everything she touches turns into ashes."

DigoDragon
2017-11-26, 03:47 PM
"Hopefully such a pony exists to help her. It doesn't seem to be me," Rose says. She was sure she'll be beating herself up a few times over the next week or two.

"Well, I should catch up with my friends. I'm sure they'll want to know how I'm feeling after being drilled by the Assembly."

Miltonian
2017-11-26, 03:52 PM
Cadence shakes her head. "No. I just wanted to be sure that what I saw wasn't a danger to you or to Equestria. I'm glad to see that my help isn't needed right now." She inclines her head to Rose. "Have a nice day, Lt."

DigoDragon
2017-11-26, 04:44 PM
"Thank you, and you as well." Rose bows and leaves. There is one pony she really wants to seek out now--Princess Luna. Rose will try and find where she is at.

Miltonian
2017-11-26, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately, Celestia and Cadence were the only princesses in attendance this time. Luna is, apparently, asleep back at the castle, snoozing away the noon and early afternoon hours.

The guards can point her to Celestia, if she wishes.

DigoDragon
2017-11-26, 07:33 PM
Rose decides that she could see Celestia. She didn't have to talk about Chrysalis, but there are other topics of interest Rose could inquire about. She agrees to guards' offer and goes off to see Celestia. Rose will have to speak to Luna later tonight.

Miltonian
2017-11-26, 11:37 PM
When Rose arrives at the room the guards direct her to, a fourth set of them are standing watch outside. The first raises a hoof. "I'm sorry, Lt. Rose. But the princess is in an important meeting. Unless this is an equally important matter, you're going to have to wait."

So the question is, how important does Rose think this whole thing is?

DigoDragon
2017-11-26, 11:46 PM
So the question is, how important does Rose think this whole thing is?

There was a moment not long ago at all where the answer could of been 'all the world to me', but seems that time is now past and Rose only had darkness to look forward too. It hurts her heart to think about just how badly she bucked this up.

"Well, I consider it a matter of national security, as it relates to EDF work, so it's pretty darn important. How does that compare to this meeting she's in?"

Miltonian
2017-11-27, 11:02 AM
The guard pauses. “One moment please.” She slips inside and leaves Rose waiting in the hall with her partner for a minute before returning. “They are about to break for lunch. She is in the middle of diplomatic relations with the dragon ambassador. They want to secure the release of Sulmandeer. If you would be kind enough to wait for fifteen or so minutes. It’s not wise to offend dragons.”

DigoDragon
2017-11-27, 11:20 AM
"Dragons, huh? Fine, fifteen minutes. Only because I'm flammable," Rose replies. She will wait for her fifteen minutes.

Miltonian
2017-11-27, 01:49 PM
After twenty-two minutes, the door opens and Rose is let in. Celestia waits alone, though the slight, smoky scent in the air tells tale of dragons recently in the area. The Princess of the Sun is furiously eating a slice of cake, stabbing off portions of it with a fork with strength almost hard enough to chip the plate underneath.

“Lt. Rose,” she says, not setting the plate aside, “Thank you for waiting. Your understanding is appreciated.” Her tone says otherwise. “Now, how can I, the ever understanding and loving princess of Equestria, help you, my faithful subject?”

There was a hard edge to her voice. This is going to go well.

DigoDragon
2017-11-27, 02:53 PM
Rose bows as she approaches. "Thank you, your highness. I hope that this meeting comes with privacy, as the questions I bring deal with the EDF's current mission and the quarry we are investigating."

(assuming there is privacy)

"First, allow me to tell you a story." Rose clears her throat to recite. "A long time ago, there were shining points of light that marched cross an infinite black plane against incomprehensible monsters. The shining host does not falter. They fight and die and win, driving back the hordes of darkness and chaos of a tremendous beast, its face full of tentacles and bat-like wings stretched from horizon to horizon. The whole universe holds its breath as they fight. Blow after blow, wound after wound. The monster falls and the forces of chaos scatter. The shining host gathers together and takes council. They decide that they will scatter through the universe and hunt down the remaining chaos, defeating their enemies once and for all. For they are the forces of Order; Andromeda, Sirius, Sola, Polaris...

"However, the shining warrior named Sola became distracted from her duty. Little creatures, whose hearts are full of chaos and disorder, come to revere her. Instead of teaching them their proper place in the Grand Scheme, Sola laughs and plays with them. She lets chaos seep into her heart and becomes something in between, something foreign, something unnatural. And then, she fills the entire planet, which she should have saved, with this corruption! She even takes for herself a new name, one the creatures gave to her--Celestia."

Rose felt she might have mangled a little detail here or there, but she's confident that the story is overall told well enough from her memory. She watches Celestia's reaction to the story before posing her first question.

"Is this story in any way familiar to you, your highness?"

Miltonian
2017-11-27, 03:29 PM
As Rose tells her story, Celestia’s smile turns from serene to strained. She stabs the fork into the cake over and over, until one last jab shatters it. The pieces hang in mid-air, held in place by her magic. Slowly, she raises them into the air and, with a burst of magic, she turns it to ash. A gust of wind blows the ash out the window.

She turns to Rose, eyes blazing. “No. Why do you ask?”

DigoDragon
2017-11-27, 04:16 PM
She turns to Rose, eyes blazing. “No. Why do you ask?”

"Because that piece of cake was vaporized quite efficiently for a fairy tale," Rose explains, showing concern (and a tinge of fear) on her face. "What I recited was part of a digital document the EDF had recovered in Ponyville. The author is the Lord of Stars, Polaris, who left it for an AI in Twilight's computer to find and read. We've taken measures to remove the data from her computer and the AI."

"I'm bringing this up to you because Polaris has a keen interest in you. He purports that he is from another world around another star, and that you are as well. Based on what we've so far gathered in previous missions, Polaris believes this to be the truth with unwavering conviction. He seeks you out because he believes you have turned away from his light of order. As you are one of the wisest and most experienced beings on this planet, I wish to know if there is any possibility that there exists beings from worlds outside our own. I recognize that this is a strange question to ask, but I cannot rule out Polaris' origin as hailing outside our world. His knowledge in our magic, technology, and history is frightfully advanced."

Miltonian
2017-11-27, 05:52 PM
Celestia's eyes bore into Rose, doing nothing to set her at ease. "All of Equestria's enemies have a 'keen interest' in me, Lt. So long as I stand, Equestria cannot fall. I raise the sun and I can wield its power how I see fit."

She advances on Rose, pushing her back towards the wall with the weight of her majesty and anger. "And as for the rest, that is none of your concern. Before you claim it is, I would think you would have learned that your judgement is hardly a sound guide. Cadence assures me you were an unwitting pawn in Chrysalis' gambit, but you certainly did not help. In the future, I will tell you only what you need to know in order to do your duty."

Rose's back hits the wall. Celestia towers over her, mane smoking in rage. "You, Lt. Croix, have become a liability."

DigoDragon
2017-11-27, 06:06 PM
Rose can feel the heat of the towering princess burning against her face. Admittedly, even when she's pissed off, she's beautiful. Rose holds her position, back against the wall. She won't allow herself to shrink down to the floor. Hold the line here she tells herself. Hold it or burn trying.

"I know, I utterly screwed up and I have no excuse. You've demanded that I cut my public ties to Chrysalis' protection or else, and I will agree to them because I still believe in the EDF and don't wish to jeopardize them any further."

Miltonian
2017-11-27, 06:10 PM
Celestia's intensity wavers. She studies Rose's face, looking for an explanation there. "I gave no such order," she says at last, "You are to cut your private ties with her. Since you have made yourself the medical spokespony for the case, you are going to continue in that role."

The heat fades away. "What made you think that was my order?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-27, 06:17 PM
"Your highness, I got too familiar with Chrysalis," Rose explains. "Surely you've seen the security footage? I was under the impression that you would rather I step down from my duties with Chrysalis before I further embarrass the crown, Your anger speaks volumes with jsut how poorly I conducted myself, and you have every right to be upset with my actions."

Miltonian
2017-11-28, 01:43 AM
"Oh, I am upset. But to have you withdraw from the public debate now would be a serious blow. I still have hopes that Chrysalis will be use-- an ally. And to do that, she needs her horn." She shakes her head. "The Assembly pulled the legal power out from under me, but they've found that it is not that easy to defy an alicorn."

"So tell me, Lt. Who told you to stop your campaign on Chrysalis' behalf?"

DigoDragon
2017-11-28, 06:48 AM
"I was advised by Judge Doom to step down from the campaign," Rose answers. "He wanted to have me jailed for treason, and to disband the EDF. He didn't as a favor to Commander Wildcat, so long as I complied and remained out of the debate. I wasn't even aware that he was involved with overseeing Chrysalis' security."

"Tartarus Station was evidence that Polaris has connections inside Equestria. His experiments on the prisoners went unnoticed for years. It can be difficult to figure out who to trust; who else does Polaris have contact with? What events would benefit Polaris in removing you from power? Those are the questions we're trying to find out. Chrysalis saw it first-hoof. She was there. She's a valuable witness and I just know that makes her a problem for Polaris."

Rose pauses to breathe. "That's why I worked so hard to help her. And... why I got as close as I did. Too close. Believing I could do it alone I became Icarus. Perhaps a good metaphor considering what humbled him?"

Miltonian
2017-11-28, 11:37 AM
"He's not," Celestia says grimly, "Which means somepony is giving him or an associate of his classified footage."

At the mention of Icarus, she cracks a more genuine smile. The danger has passed, seemingly. "I remember him. His father was a very clever earth pony. Not even Starswirl could understand the diagrams of his inventions. The maze in my palace's grounds is modeled after the one he used to trap the minotaur king."

"That story has a happier ending than ponies remember. He did indeed fall into the sea. But the hippocampi rescued him.”

DigoDragon
2017-11-28, 12:21 PM
Rose nods. "That is definitely a better ending than what we're taught in Literature class," she says fondly, "Although I can understand the change to teach a moral."

She dares to take a slight step closer. "Princess Celestia, I have no doubt that whoever is the source of this leak has been following my every move, and assuredly they will continue to do so to ensure I do not continue to defend Chrysalis in any capacity. Perhaps there is a way to turn my liability around and use me as bait to catch the leak? Even if Judge Doom implicates me for the previously mentioned crimes, I am willing to sacrifice myself to take him and his informants down. It would be for the good of Equestria."

Miltonian
2017-11-28, 03:50 PM
Celestia takes a deep breath. "I am sure there is. But for now, it will not matter. You are scheduled for deployment in a few days. But rest assured, when you return, I will have figured out a way to address this issue."

DigoDragon
2017-11-28, 04:10 PM
Rose nods slowly. "I will await your wisdom when I return."

She pauses and studies Celestia's eyes.

"Princess, is there anything I could do for you? Not in a capacity of a soldier or citizen, but as a friend?" Rose asks gently. "I'm concerned that you are holding in too much stress, the weight of your crown bares heavy on you. Even as just a friendly hear to hear you out, I'm here if there's something you'd like to just let off your chest. It might help ease your mind a bit to be able to just talk to someone."

Miltonian
2017-11-28, 08:31 PM
"And if I need to, I won't ask you," Celestia says firmly, "Not until you've proved yourself a reliable pony again."

DigoDragon
2017-11-28, 08:45 PM
"I see," Rose replies, losing some of the wind in her sails. "Anything specific I should do to get started on that path? I mean, besides being so familiar with Chrysalis."

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 12:44 AM
Celestia sighs. "Right now, I simply need you to do what you're told and keep your head down."

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 06:33 AM
"Yes, your majesty. Will that be everything?" Rose asks. Yeah, she's aware that she came seeking Celestia, but this utter train wreck of a day just caught fire and at this point Rose just wanted to find a pillow to scream into.

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 09:16 AM
Celestia winces and massages her forehead. She shrinks a little and falls back into her old ways of talking. A warmer, more motherly voice, kinder eyes, and a less imperial bearing. "Yes. Yes I-I believe it will. Have a good day, Lt. And stay out of trouble."

Celestia is not doing well.

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 09:35 AM
"Please talk to someone about your stress, princess. The EDF is worried about you." Rose bows and takes her leave. Well, at this point the only way her day could get worse is if she lands in jail before tonight. But hey, there's still daylight left so...

Rose leaves Luna a message that she seeks audience with her regarding one of the EDF recent missions. Hopefully Rose can get one final dream talk with Chrysalis to let her know how the Assembly meet went and, unfortunately, that Rose will have to remove herself from part of the equation. It's gonna be a hard talk.

She goes home to pack some basic necessities and will spend the evening in Love's guest room because she can't trust Doom not having spies on her place. It's a game of stepping on eggshells.

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 02:03 PM
As Rose drifts to sleep that night, she comes back to her senses in the middle of a moonlit field. Immediately, she feels strong forelegs around her, holding her close.

"I failed thee," Luna's voice trembles, "I failed thee, Rose. I should hath kept watch."

She sets Rose down and draws herself up, bracing her body as if for a physical blow. "Everything that hath transpired thou can blame on me. Even my sister's harsh words and Cadence's fear of thee. If not for my lapse, thou wouldst not be in this dire strait."

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 02:26 PM
Rose holds on to Luna, needing comfort. but she' clearly has her brow furled in confusion.

"Failed me for what? Princess, *I* screwed up! I thought I could so easily reform Chrysalis, and drew too near without planning and I... ugh, I don't even know if making out in a dream counts or not, but I shouldn't have done what I did! I was supposed to befriend her, not let my emotions feed into her so readily. I wasn't careful... I too readily bought into her offers and... I bucked everything up so badly I... I lost everyone's trust. I'm stuck between blackmail and jail time... my friends could lose their jobs... I'm surprised you aren't criticizing me. I... I think you're the first today."

Rose is barely holding herself together, but she takes a deep breath and soldiers on. She wipes her tears away and swallows, despite her mouth feeling dry. "The worst part is, Chrysalis may lose her horn anyway. Damn it all... I would give up my own horn to set things right."

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 02:53 PM
“I could have done something to save thee. To warn thee. I should not have let anypony go to meet her alone. Even imprisoned, she is like a snake with one fang left. And her words were always worse than her poison.”

Luna looks Rose in the eyes. “At least accept this. For my part, I forgive thee.”

She then clears her throat. "Besides, 'tis of little matter now. She escaped while thou wert speaking in her defense. Twas part of the reason Celestia was so wroth with thee. Thy love gave her very great power."

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 03:06 PM
Rose's ears drooped. "She... she escaped? With the love I fed her?" She was upset and saddened at the same time. Other emotions tried to fill her mind, but it's so full she felt her head could burst. Perhaps this is why Doom picked now to blackmail her? So she couldn't mount a recovery and defense for Chrysalis?

"Would there be any way to still contact her? Through dreams?"

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 04:01 PM
Luna nods. "She escaped because the doctor foolishly took her cuff off. Sniper's anger hath poisoned her. And with her magic cut off, she possessed no means to remove it. The instant the cuff was off, the guards stood no chance of holding her."

"If...if she sleeps and I can find her, then yes."

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 06:05 PM
"Damn. I guess convincing Equestria that she's wiling to reform is gonna be next to impossible now. Then again... Judge Doom was so keen to push for her horn removal that I guess we can't really blame Chrysalis for escaping. In the end, she couldn't trust us. And right now no one trusts me so... this has been a perfect day of failures."

She looks around, then back at Luna. "Are we still in my dream? I wouldn't mind revisiting the beach I last saw Chrysalis at. Maybe wait there a little bit to see if she goes to sleep."

Rose will imagine the beach she last saw Chrysalis at; the white sand, the clear water, the little cabana with the open bar...

Miltonian
2017-11-29, 07:32 PM
The beach appears, just as Rose remembered it. However, now it is Luna standing beside her. She clears her throat. "Rose. This is thy dream. She shall not appear here, but in her own. I wilt have to transport thee, as before."

DigoDragon
2017-11-29, 11:27 PM
"I know. I just thought of it because it's... well, peaceful. A little get away from today." Rose watches the waves for a moment. "Well, I guess nothing to it but wait to see if she falls asleep."

Miltonian
2017-11-30, 11:41 PM
Luna sits on the sands behind Love. "Indeed. I shall keep watch. Take your ease for now."

Hours go by and no sign of Chrysalis.

Luna sighs. "I would wager that she is refusing to sleep until she has made good her escape."

DigoDragon
2017-11-30, 11:51 PM
"Yeah, I suppose she does have a ways to travel until she's out of the guards' grasp. Well, guess I'll let it drop for now. I'm sure she'll turn up in due time. I should study up on her abilities so I don't fall for her charms a second time." Rose gives Luna a gentle hug. "Thank you for understanding, Luna. I hope your sister feels better. She's really not been herself lately. Stress is making her... uh... flare up."

Miltonian
2017-12-01, 10:11 AM
Luna winces. “That hast been brought to my attention. Do not fear. I shalt not let my sister fall, as I did.”

She nuzzles Rose. “Take care, brave Rose.”

DigoDragon
2017-12-01, 10:29 AM
"Thank you, Luna. You don't know how much your words and kindness mean to me right now," Rose says after nuzzling in return. The sympathy almost makes Rose cry again, her heart starved for genuine affection. She sits back down. "Perhaps I'll meditate here a while longer. I don't want to keep you further from your nightly duties."

Miltonian
2017-12-01, 06:16 PM
Luna grimaces. "Aye. There is much to do now. But twas worth it to aide thee. Fare thee well. I still have an appointment to keep with Sniper Scope tonight."

Rising into the air, she heads for the sky and disappears over the horizon. Rose is left alone with her thoughts.

DigoDragon
2017-12-01, 06:49 PM
Rose watches the waves for a time, meditating. Her thoughts drip away. She is out of tears to cry, the sun sets this day as a great loss. "Chrysalis... I believe in you to do the right thing. Please don't forsake friendship."

She lies down and continues to dream quietly alone.

Miltonian
2017-12-01, 06:54 PM
What do you think? Scene?

DigoDragon
2017-12-01, 08:04 PM
[End credits]

Special guest Betty White as Luna