PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Feats: Mystical Aptitude and Occult Dabbling

Ranged Ranger
2017-11-22, 01:45 AM
*see Note here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542276-Weapon-And-Material-Homebrew-(Please-PEACH-help-with-pricing)) in reguard to Mystical Aptitude
Feats:
Mystical Aptitude:You have an inborn talent with the underlying forces that shape the world around you.
Prerequisite:1st, 2nd, or 3rd Level only; No more than 1 level in a casting class when feat is taken (subsequent levels are unrestricted)
Benefits: Select three 0-level spells from either the wizard/sorcerer, cleric, or druid lists (all three must be from the same list, one of which cannot be on the other two lists). You may now use these spells as spell-like abilities 3/day. If you later take levels in a class that includes all three one or more of these spells on its list, those spells automatically become spells known and you cast all spells in the class as caster level +1.

Occult Dabbling:You have studied texts or abilities usually restricted to members of your order.
Prerequisite:Divine Caster Level 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Decipher Script 5, Knowledge (History or Planes) 4, Bluff or Intimidate 2
Benefits: Select two spells between 2nd and 4th levels (inclusive) that exist as arcane spells and do not have a divine version on your class list. You add divine versions of the spells to your class list and gain them as bonus spells known at the level they normally exist as arcane spells. If one or both of the spells you select is higher than you can cast, you cannot cast them until you gain the level that would allow you to cast spells of that level. You may now treat the class you added the spells to as providing arcane caster level equal to ¾ the divine caster level it provides for purposes related to feats.
IndentIf your class provides an animal companion or a mount, you may to gain a familiar instead, if you so choose.
Special: Many orders restrict access to this knowledge. Taking this feat without special dispensation from the order’s hierarchy could cause you to be considered a heretic. Be sure to discus with your DM what requirements you need to gain a dispensation from your order and/or the consequences of pursuing these studies without the hierarchy’s permission.

Ranged Ranger
2017-12-03, 09:12 PM
Seventy-five views and not a single comment... Not sure if I managed to hit a sweet spot with balance or if they were too boring/complicated/broken for everyone's tastes...

nonsi
2017-12-04, 12:30 AM
1. The restrictions of Mystical Aptitude seem pointless to me.
2. Re-word Occult Dabbling. The wording is cumbersome. The Special clause is actually thematically fitting, if a DM has the patience to manage religious agenda in his/her campaign.

Ranged Ranger
2017-12-04, 02:54 AM
1. The restrictions of Mystical Aptitude seem pointless to me.
2. Re-word Occult Dabbling. The wording is cumbersome. The Special clause is actually thematically fitting, if a DM has the patience to manage religious agenda in his/her campaign.
Thanks for the feedback!
1. Which restrictions? In the Prereqs or the Benefits sections? My intent is to not benefit both sides of a Mystic Theurge build. It should, however, allow flexibility so that a character who takes this at first lvl, but doesn't start their casting class until later can still get the full benefits of the feat if they decide to take use a different, related caster class in the meantime (say healer or favored soul instead of cleric; or spirit shaman or mystic ranger instead of druid; etc.)
2.Will work on the wording...Is the new wording better? ...As for the special clause, I figured it could be a good opportunity for flavor, and if the DM didn't want to take the time, they could do something generic (like X lvls in class or a basic test of obedience/loyalty).

nonsi
2017-12-05, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback!
1. Which restrictions? In the Prereqs or the Benefits sections? My intent is to not benefit both sides of a Mystic Theurge build. It should, however, allow flexibility so that a character who takes this at first lvl, but doesn't start their casting class until later can still get the full benefits of the feat if they decide to take use a different, related caster class in the meantime (say healer or favored soul instead of cleric; or spirit shaman or mystic ranger instead of druid; etc.)

Last time I checked, Mystic Theurge is inferior to straight caster in almost every way. You shouldn't compensate against it.

2.Will work on the wording...Is the new wording better? ...As for the special clause, I figured it could be a good opportunity for flavor, and if the DM didn't want to take the time, they could do something generic (like X lvls in class or a basic test of obedience/loyalty).

Notice that a 4th level divine caster can't cast 3rd and 4th level spells.

paddyfool
2017-12-05, 02:44 PM
Occult dabbling could definitely stand to lose the familiar. That makes it more like two feats in one.

Ranged Ranger
2017-12-06, 04:35 AM
Last time I checked, Mystic Theurge is inferior to straight caster in almost every way. You shouldn't compensate against it.
So, would it be ok for this feat to boost caster lvl for any/all caster classes the character has lvls in?

I did intend to allow the option of growing into the feat... Unfortunately, I lost my original wording that had a phrase to that affect... will need to re-add that... not tonight though...

Occult dabbling could definitely stand to lose the familiar. That makes it more like two feats in one.
you're right of course... the previous sentence allows them to qualify for obtain familiar.... Edit: how is the compromise of allowing it by exchange, but not providing it?

paddyfool
2017-12-06, 07:59 AM
Exchange seems fair enough.

Ranged Ranger
2017-12-07, 12:54 AM

Removed the restrictions on the first feat. Added a sentence to address the concern raised about the second. What do you think?