PDA

View Full Version : XgtE Arcane Archer requires magic arrows?

Tanarii
2017-11-22, 02:44 AM
The Arcane Archer's level 3 Arcane Shot ability says:
"At 3rd level, you learn to unleash special magical effects with some of your shots. ...
Once per turn when you fire a magic arrow from a shortbow or longbow as part of the Attack Action, ..."

Nothing in the way this is worded says the arrow you fire become a magic arrow, and then applies the magical effect. It's written in a way that makes it read as if it requires a magic arrow, to use the feature with when fired.

Moredhel24
2017-11-22, 02:54 AM
Just got my copy of XGtE and noticed that too. RAW I'd say so. But also looks like could synergize w/ the 7th level magic arrow feature.

prototype00
2017-11-22, 03:06 AM
Sage Advice- No magic arrow required.

Moredhel24
2017-11-22, 03:16 AM
My thinking was that magic arrow allows you to turn non magic arrows into magic arrows when fired for purposes of overcoming nonmagic weapon resistance/immunity and arcane shot effects are applied on hit w/ a magic arrow. possible timing issue since magic arrow effect ends on hit or miss. Any sage advice on this synergy?

ok now i'm confuzzled. book says when you fire a magic arrow (ammo and/or maybe feature?) you can apply arcane shot to it but sage advice says no magic arrow (ammo?) required.

Crgaston
2017-11-22, 03:24 AM
I don’t have the book, but the UA version had a 3rd level feature called “Magic Arrow” that made any arrow fired a +1 magic arrow. I think they removed that feature in XGtE but not the wording for Arcane Shot. So, it’s an editing glitch. Good spot.

Millstone85
2017-11-22, 04:37 AM
That's why I am waiting for the second printing.

The known errors so far seem worse than usual.

Tanarii
2017-11-22, 10:08 AM
7th level Curving Arrow:
"When you make a attack roll with a magic arrow and miss, ..."

Supposed to apply to any arrow the Arcane Archer has fired, or only to their enchanted Arcane Arrows? Whatdyathink?

Unoriginal
2017-11-22, 10:11 AM
The Arcane Archer's level 3 Arcane Shot ability says:
"At 3rd level, you learn to unleash special magical effects with some of your shots. ...
Once per turn when you fire a magic arrow from a shortbow or longbow as part of the Attack Action, ..."

Nothing in the way this is worded says the arrow you fire become a magic arrow, and then applies the magical effect. It's written in a way that makes it read as if it requires a magic arrow, to use the feature with when fired.

It's called a magic arrow because you're using it to unleash a magic effect after infusing it with your power.

rbstr
2017-11-22, 10:16 AM
Arcane Archers do not need magic arrows for any feature. It's just an error they didn't catch when they changes some stuff from the UA version. JC tweeted about it.

7th level Curving Arrow:
"When you make a attack roll with a magic arrow and miss, ..."

Supposed to apply to any arrow the Arcane Archer has fired, or only to their enchanted Arcane Arrows? Whatdyathink?

This is the same problem. And it doesn't make sense otherwise because you choose to use an Arcane Arrow option when you hit something. Except for the couple that turn into straight saves and can't "miss" anyway.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-22, 10:51 AM
Also, after 7th level all of your arrows are considered magic anyways (if you want them to). Yes, there is some significantly bad editing in this book that is going to require some errata going forward. In addition, the 7th level feature says that you "can" make your arrows magical, not that they "are" magical. I can see some **** DMs forcing Arcane Archer players to have to specify that they are using this feature every round, when instead it should just be a given.

Player: "I attack with a few shots of my bow"
DM: "You do half damage because they're resistant to non-magical weapon damage"
"Player: "But all of my shots can be magical."
DM: "Ah, but you didn't say that you were doing that."

Also not a fan that you can't be an Arcane Slinger, Crossbower, or Hurler. I get the fluff, and I get not letting it work with potential hand crossbow cheese, but I don't understand why the weapons list for this subclass is so limited.

Tanarii
2017-11-22, 01:06 PM
This is the same problem. And it doesn't make sense otherwise because you choose to use an Arcane Arrow option when you hit something. Except for the couple that turn into straight saves and can't "miss" anyway.
So your position is that the 7th level Curving Arrow class feature applies to every shot, not just Arcane Shots?

Edit: Or rather, once a round every round, at the cost of a bonus action?

rbstr
2017-11-22, 01:13 PM
Yeah, given the other level 7 feature is literally "Magic Arrow" and it makes your arrows magical regardless of using an arcane shot..

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-22, 01:20 PM
Sage Advice- No magic arrow required.

gotta link?

Daphne
2017-11-22, 01:33 PM
gotta link?

Here (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/927660837916983296) is the link.

Moredhel24
2017-11-22, 02:43 PM
Arcane Archers do not need magic arrows for any feature. It's just an error they didn't catch when they changes some stuff from the UA version. JC tweeted about it.

The bad editing and errata via twitter really gets me. Don't see how stuff like this can be missed, not like each copy is being printed by hand. Don't use twitter or pretty much any form of social media since i have a burning hatred for that medium, so stuff like this i miss.

Also not a fan that you can't be an Arcane Slinger, Crossbower, or Hurler. I get the fluff, and I get not letting it work with potential hand crossbow cheese, but I don't understand why the weapons list for this subclass is so limited.

maybe because fluff mentions arcane archer being an elven thing even w/out the elf race only restriction like bladesinger and their traditional weapons have been bows, though drow do favor crossbows. My group has decided to allow use w/ other ranged/thrown weapons except firearms as would be appropriate for the chosen races culture/tech level.

rbstr
2017-11-22, 02:54 PM
Twitter is as good as anything to get word about this kind of stuff out quickly. A private email answer to a question, for example, would be very hard to verify. A tweet has a link you can just give to people so they can see its real. I didn't go to JC's twitter page to find out, it was linked here in discussion.

It's not like the tweets have replaced regular errata. I'm sure there'll be official, non-twitter, errata in a PDF soon enough. They've done it for everything else so far.

FWIW it seems like the printer did a lot of screwing up this time around. Lots of people with upside-down and missing pages.

Tanarii
2017-11-22, 03:07 PM
Here (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/927660837916983296) is the link.
Thank you.