PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item crafting class homebrew

Mara
2017-11-22, 10:04 AM
Class (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1svYTr9UBr2AWlQ99Mi0L-6MBmJ-IhnsZn7xWi3sVoOQ/edit?usp=drivesdk)

This is a very complicated magic item creation class designed for 5e, but is thematically based off the Enchanters from "Sufficiently Advanced Magic" of the "Arcane Ascension" series by Andrew Rowe.

I couldn't stay completely faithful to the source material because I prioritized a good 5e class.

The basics:
Enchanted items are magic items that must be attuned to and grant some limited spell casting.

Effect runes are used to store spell effects and Enchanters can use them directly to "cast" spells

Trigger runes are how non Enchanters cast spells and they basically double the cost of an item. They can also be set up to trigger from an enemy action but at greater risk.

Recharge runes regulate the staying power of an item and can be used to make continuous effects, but continuous items are treated as two magic items for attunement slots.

Capacity runes throttle how strong an item can be regardless of prep time.

Item examples:
Lvl 1: a 1st level spell once per day usable by the Enchanter.
A 1st level spell usable once by anyone.

Lvl 5: a 3rd level spell three times per day usable by the Enchanter. Two 1st level spells usable 3 times per day and one 2nd level spell usable once per day by the Enchanter.
A 1st level spell three times per day usable by anyone.
A continuous 1st level spell with a duration of 10 minutes or longer.

Lvl 9.
A continuous flying item.
A continuous summoning item (at most one summon per hour)
A 5th level spell 3 times per day and a second level spell once per day, usable by the Enchanter.
A 3rd level spell 3 times per day usable by anyone.

Unique problems:
This class gives out magical items to the party even if you weren't going to give them. I do not believe anything my class makes is stronger than an oathbow to a sharpshooter or +1 armor and shield to a tank, but the items could SEEM more useful to those PCs than an optimal item.

This class gains more versatility and staying power the more downtime she has and the slower the leveling process. No other class requires that consideration.

Thoughts?