PDA

View Full Version : Distant Strike, Sweeping Attack Manuever, and Haste interaction?

tomato
2017-11-22, 02:17 PM
Greetings,

I was wondering what people think about a possible interaction between the Horizon Walker Ranger's Distant Strike feature, haste, and the Sweeping Attack maneuver from the Battlemaster fighter's maneuvers.

Basically, it seems like if you use your Haste (one weapon attack only) action to attack two creatures, spending a superiority die for the Sweeping Attack maneuver, you qualify for an additional attack due to the wording of the Distant Strike feature.

How does it sound, other than cheesy as ****?

Ganymede
2017-11-22, 02:39 PM
With Sweeping Attack, you "attempt to damage another creature with the same attack."

You're not attacking two different creatures. You are attacking one creature and damaging a second.

Additionally, and more importantly, Haste allows an action that "can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only)...action." If you are taking more than one attack with this action, as ordinarily allowed by Distant Strike, you are breaking the restriction of one weapon attack only imposed by Haste; Distant Strike no more allows you to ignore this limitation than the Extra Attack class feature does.

So this does not work from two different angles.

tomato
2017-11-22, 02:53 PM
Fair reply, those are reasonable points that I was considering myself when I posted it. Thanks. :)