PDA

View Full Version : Companion familiar using martial weapons

Kage0789
2017-11-22, 07:01 PM
I am making an arcane heirophant as a boss to fight my players. I was wanting to have the companion familiar be an ape that wields a halberd, or some other two-handed martial weapon. As a companion familiar, the ape would have an intelegence as high as an average human. I was also considering giving the ape armor/barding. This wouldn't be too far beyond what should be possible is it?

daremetoidareyo
2017-11-22, 07:23 PM
I am making an arcane heirophant as a boss to fight my players. I was wanting to have the companion familiar be an ape that wields a halberd, or some other two-handed martial weapon. As a companion familiar, the ape would have an intelegence as high as an average human. I was also considering giving the ape armor/barding. This wouldn't be too far beyond what should be possible is it?

You'll need to get the proficiencies for the weapons or take the penalty. An alternative is to give them a sandblaster from MM3 under the sand giant entry, and then you don't even need to make an attack roll.

Rebel7284
2017-11-22, 08:02 PM
The animal companion gets a number of bonus feats. Make one of the feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency and grab something fancy.
I mean, you can also take Martial Weapon Proficiency, but Exotic is more fun. :smallsmile:

For style points, make the exotic weapon a Sugliin [Frostburn]. (Sugliin Mastery optional)