View Full Version : I'm Planning To Play A Male Human Barbarian

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-22, 08:05 PM
Hey everybody. After making 100+ character sheets and deciding on which character that I want to play. I decided that I want to play a Chaotic Good male human barbarian named Mauler Masher.

Here's his character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1104863

So what do you think of my character? Positive and Negative criticism is appreciated. :smile:

Rebel7284
2017-11-22, 09:41 PM
Some questions:
- What books are allowed?
- What do you want this character to do at later levels?
- How well optimized is the rest of the party?

Some criticisms:
- For someone who is 6 feet tall and is covered with (HEAVY) bulging muscles, 130 lbs. is way too light. Add like 50 more pounds at least, unless your character back story explains why you're so skinny.
- Assuming point buy, your mental stats are way too high and offer minimal benefits. Even if a part of your plan involves one of the mental stats, having ALL of them above 8 makes you worse at your job. Unless these are all rolled, in which case congrats on rolling high.
- Warhammer is a very poor choice of weapon. It's one handed, which gives it a smaller damage die than two handed weapons and you WANT to use your weapon two hands because it adds 1.5 times your strength bonus to damage and works better with Power Attack.
- If Complete Champion is allowed and you expect the game to last higher than level 5, you should look into the Spiritual Totem - Lion Totem Barbarian to get the Pounce ability.
- In addition, Unearthed Arcana and the SRD have Wolf Totem barbarian which gives you Improved Trip (at level 2) without the prerequisite and is very useful if you ever want to knock your opponents down. This can be combined with Spiritual Lion Totem.
- While Improved Initiative is a fine feat if you have nothing else to take, there are a bunch of better options that are open to you especially if other books at on the table.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-22, 09:50 PM
Some questions:
- What books are allowed?
- What do you want this character to do at later levels?
- How well optimized is the rest of the party?

Some criticisms:
- For someone who is 6 feet tall and is covered with (HEAVY) bulging muscles, 130 lbs. is way too light. Add like 50 more pounds at least, unless your character back story explains why you're so skinny.
- Assuming point buy, your mental stats are way too high and offer minimal benefits. Even if a part of your plan involves one of the mental stats, having ALL of them above 8 makes you worse at your job. Unless these are all rolled, in which case congrats on rolling high.
- Warhammer is a very poor choice of weapon. It's one handed, which gives it a smaller damage die than two handed weapons and you WANT to use your weapon two hands because it adds 1.5 times your strength bonus to damage and works better with Power Attack.
- If Complete Champion is allowed and you expect the game to last higher than level 5, you should look into the Spiritual Totem - Lion Totem Barbarian to get the Pounce ability.
- In addition, Unearthed Arcana and the SRD have Wolf Totem barbarian which gives you Improved Trip (at level 2) without the prerequisite and is very useful if you ever want to knock your opponents down. This can be combined with Spiritual Lion Totem.
- While Improved Initiative is a fine feat if you have nothing else to take, there are a bunch of better options that are open to you especially if other books at on the table.
To answer your question any book is fine. I just want to keep Mauler as a barbarian unless if there's any other class or prestige class to multiclass. I haven't started the game yet to find other players.

Goaty14
2017-11-22, 10:34 PM
-Use your feats for different sections, instead of a list all in one section (this really bothers me, considering you can't read them off at a glance, and do you *really* think you'll run out of slots? Same for class features)
-The "type" under weapons is for which type of damage it deals (Bludgeoning, Slashing, Piercing), not what kind of proficiency is required to use it (it also really bugs me that warhammer is listed as "martial", and then longbow is listed as "projectile" even though it is also martial). Warhammer is Bludgeoning and Longbow is Piercing IIRC
-List your weapons/armor/arrows under your inventory, as it helps you to make sure that you're not overstepping your starting gold (Depending on your DM, I might also pick up some survival gear such as a bedroll, tent, waterskin etc)
-Your skills are misplaced. You should have 20 skill points at level 1 (thus allowing you to max 5 skills), but you have spent 36 skill points (by maxing 9 skills). You have to drop 16 points (or 4 maxed skills). Additionally, barbarians don't have all skills as class skills, so check the barbarian entry on Pg. 24 of the PHB or the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm)
-Your speed with a breastplate on is 30 ft, instead of 40 ft as normal (b/c of fast movement, your speed increases by 10 ft. Being a dwarf negates the speed penalty)
-Deity?
-Total HP is 14 (just nitpicking that blank space)
-You should know Common and another language of your choice (excluding druidic)
-Some DMs like to have a picture (but its not mandatory)

I think that's it, good background though!
EDIT: I agree with the other guy; you're practically a stick. While it wouldn't affect you crunch-wise (unless somebody wants to haul your unconscious body out of a dungeon after you spring all the traps :smallwink:) I would up the weight.

ATHATH
2017-11-22, 10:40 PM
-Use your feats for different sections, instead of a list all in one section (this really bothers me, considering you can't read them off at a glance, and do you *really* think you'll run out of slots? Same for class features)
-The "type" under weapons is for which type of damage it deals (Bludgeoning, Slashing, Piercing), not what kind of proficiency is required to use it (it also really bugs me that warhammer is listed as "marital", and then longbow is listed as "projectile" even though it is also marital). Warhammer is Bludgeoning and Longbow is Piercing IIRC
-List your weapons/armor/arrows under your inventory, as it helps you to make sure that you're not overstepping your starting gold (Depending on your DM, I might also pick up some survival gear such as a bedroll, tent, waterskin etc)
-Your skills are misplaced. You should have 20 skill points at level 1 (thus allowing you to max 5 skills), but you have spent 36 skill points (by maxing 9 skills). You have to drop 16 points (or 4 maxed skills). Additionally, barbarians don't have all skills as class skills, so check the barbarian entry on Pg. 24 of the PHB or the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm)
-Your speed with a breastplate on is 30 ft, instead of 40 ft as normal (b/c of fast movement, your speed increases by 10 ft. Being a dwarf negates the speed penalty)
-Deity?

EDIT: I agree with the other guy; you're practically a stick. While it wouldn't affect you crunch-wise (unless somebody wants to haul your unconscious body out of a dungeon after you spring all the traps :smallwink:) I would up the weight.
What is a "marital" weapon? Is it like a wedding ring, but a weapon?

Goaty14
2017-11-22, 10:47 PM
What is a "marital" weapon? Is it like a wedding ring, but a weapon?

:redface: It's a weapon for attacking weddings in soap operas where the one guy is like "I OBJECT!" and draws his marital weapon...

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-22, 10:47 PM
-The "type" under weapons is for which type of damage it deals (Bludgeoning, Slashing, Piercing), not what kind of proficiency is required to use it (it also really bugs me that warhammer is listed as "marital", and then longbow is listed as "projectile" even though it is also marital). Warhammer is Bludgeoning and Longbow is Piercing IIRC
-Deity?

Well back to the drawing board. Also I would like to add the reason why I made high rolls for Mauler mental stats is to have something useful to have good stats. And I would like to add to multiclass Mauler to Ranger in level 2 because of his hatred towards Gnolls.

Goaty14
2017-11-22, 10:54 PM
Well back to the drawing board. Also I would like to add the reason why I made high rolls for Mauler mental stats is to have something useful to have good stats. And I would like to add to multiclass Mauler to Ranger in level 2 because of his hatred towards Gnolls.

It's not that you did anything wrong in making your character, it's just that you mistyped some things. Depending on how long you plan on staying in ranger, I'd up your wisdom a bit (if you're going past 3 levels of ranger)
EDIT: I'm not a barbarian-type guy, so I don't have anything of feats and etc except to direct you to the Barbarian Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?105525-3-5e-Being-Bane-Eldariel-s-Guide-to-Barbarians) (Credit: Eldariel)

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-22, 10:57 PM
It's not that you did anything wrong in making your character, it's just that you mistyped some things. Depending on how long you plan on staying in ranger, I'd up your wisdom a bit (if you're going past 3 levels of ranger)

Ok. I understand. At least everybody is being honest with my typos. :smile:

Goaty14
2017-11-22, 11:12 PM
Ok. I understand. At least everybody is being honest with my typos. :smile:

This (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1406547) is something more along the lines of what I was saying... If you could copy that...

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-22, 11:28 PM
This (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1406547) is something more along the lines of what I was saying... If you could copy that...

Ok I adjust and corrected Mauler sheet.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-27, 06:45 PM
Ok I thinking of multiclassing him to Ranger and Frenzied Berserker.

Nifft
2017-11-27, 07:08 PM
Ok I thinking of multiclassing him to Ranger and Frenzied Berserker.

Frenzied Berserker is a great class if you're playing an anti-social psycho who hates your allies, and you want your allies to die badly enough that you're willing to give up all character agency and risk them killing you first.

If you're not playing an anti-social psycho, then Frenzied Berserker might not be the best choice.

"Strangers are just friends I haven't murdered yet." -- Franz the Friendliest Frenzy

Things I like to do after Barbarian:
- Fist of the Forest
- Frostrager
- Runescared Berserker
- Horizon Walker (viable since you're already dipping Ranger; you want 6 levels for at-will Dimension Door)
- Chameleon (some assembly required)
- Divine Crusader (Charisma focus required)
- Suel Arcanamach (some assembly required; some prereq skills can come from the Skilled City Dweller ACF from Cityscape WE)

emeraldstreak
2017-11-27, 07:12 PM
Get a light slashing/piercing weapon to use if you're grappled or swallowed whole. Get a torch for illumination and beating Fine/Diminutive swarms with elemental damage. Aim to have your main weapons cover all three physical damage types as soon as possible, starting with slashing, then bludgeoning, then piercing.

If your DM's into adventuring, get waterskin, rations, rope, bedroll, chalk.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-27, 07:26 PM
Frenzied Berserker is a great class if you're playing an anti-social psycho who hates your allies, and you want your allies to die badly enough that you're willing to give up all character agency and risk them killing you first.

If you're not playing an anti-social psycho, then Frenzied Berserker might not be the best choice.

"Strangers are just friends I haven't murdered yet." -- Franz the Friendliest Frenzy

- Fist of the Forest
- Frostrager
- Runescared Berserker
- Horizon Walker (viable since you're already dipping Ranger; you want 6 levels for at-will Dimension Door)
- Suel Arcanamach (some assembly required; some prereq skills can come from the Skilled City Dweller ACF from Cityscape WE)
Well I do have a few evil character in my party and my character do hate Gnolls. But a wait a minute wouldn't my character alignment shift from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral then Chaotic Evil using this class? :confused:

Get a light slashing/piercing weapon to use if you're grappled or swallowed whole. Get a torch for illumination and beating Fine/Diminutive swarms with elemental damage. Aim to have your main weapons cover all three physical damage types as soon as possible, starting with slashing, then bludgeoning, then piercing.

If your DM's into adventuring, get waterskin, rations, rope, bedroll, chalk.
Well my game will be a Dungeon Crawl. Got any good recommendation for weapons?

PaucaTerrorem
2017-11-27, 08:20 PM
I would take something other than Power Attack at first level. I feel that the bonus to hit is more important than the 1.5-3 DMG for your first 2 levels. Extra Rage from Complete Warrior isn't bad.

emeraldstreak
2017-11-27, 09:13 PM
Well my game will be a Dungeon Crawl. Got any good recommendation for weapons?

From the martial weapons in the PHB: greatsword, heavy flail for mains if you're going two-hander; handaxe and dagger for lights.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-27, 09:16 PM
From the martial weapons in the PHB: greatsword, heavy flail for mains if you're going two-hander; handaxe and dagger for lights.

Sweet. My party is myself and 5 more people:

Bard
Sorcerer
Rogue
Marshal
Shrine Maiden

flappeercraft
2017-11-27, 09:47 PM
From the game, just some heads up. Shrine Maiden (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517652-Cleric-Archetype-Shrine-Maiden) is a homebrew class. I'm the sorcerer but I'm a DWK Loredrake Spellhoarding (albeit God not that one guy who solos adventures) so I'm actually more of a wizard. The rogue is actually a homebrew fix, roguetotum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259254-The-Roguetotum-(3-5-PEACH)).

Galacktic
2017-11-27, 09:48 PM

Bard
Sorcerer
Rogue
Marshal
Shrine Maiden

Is the Shrine Maiden class from DANDwiki?

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-27, 09:51 PM
Is the Shrine Maiden class from DANDwiki?

Yes and there's a few versions of this class as well.

emeraldstreak
2017-11-27, 10:05 PM

Bard
Sorcerer
Rogue
Marshal
Shrine Maiden

Mind you this is the most basic take of the weapons. There are more, sometimes better, in other books. And even in the PHB, there's more depth. For instance, you can take a Large Morningstar. It is a two-handed weapon for your Medium character, and does 2d6 damage, but at -2 attack, so worse than the greatsword and somewhat worse than a 1d10 piercing or bludgeoning weapon (trading 1.5 damage for 2 attack isn't that great). But then, you carry it for its damage types only to be used when fighting skeletons, tiny swarms, and the morningstar does both bludgeoning and piercing and costs little (double the base price for Large).

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-27, 10:08 PM
From the game, just some heads up. Shrine Maiden (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517652-Cleric-Archetype-Shrine-Maiden) is a homebrew class. I'm the sorcerer but I'm a DWK Loredrake Spellhoarding (albeit God not that one guy who solos adventures) so I'm actually more of a wizard. The rogue is actually a homebrew fix, roguetotum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259254-The-Roguetotum-(3-5-PEACH)).
Hey flappeercraft. So yeah I think I should go find some better weapons and feats.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-28, 08:36 PM
Ok so the game just started and My character took charge to becoming a leader. He good a high intelligence score of 12. (A high intelligence score for a barbarian.) And a few of my party members disagree with my leadership but agree to go along with it. How can I become a great leader?

Nifft
2017-11-28, 08:55 PM
Drop Improved Initiative, take Extra Rage instead.

Take two levels of Barbarian, then four levels of Warblade. Focus on White Raven.

If the game's still running at that point, come back and talk to us.

PaucaTerrorem
2017-11-28, 11:09 PM
Ok so the game just started and My character took charge to becoming a leader. He good a high intelligence score of 12. (A high intelligence score for a barbarian.) And a few of my party members disagree with my leadership but agree to go along with it. How can I become a great leader?

Most "Great Leaders" aren't super intelligent on their own. They tend to be very charismatic and are smart enough to surround themselves with intelligent people. They also tend to be sociopathic ********s.

Nifft
2017-11-28, 11:34 PM
They also tend to be sociopathic ********s.

... "sociopathic success stories."

Right?

The Glyphstone
2017-11-29, 12:32 AM
Great does not mean Good, or nice.

Marlowe
2017-11-29, 03:17 AM
This promises to be...a read.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-29, 05:46 PM

- Fist of the Forest
- Frostrager
- Runescared Berserker

Oh, I'm definately planning on using Frenzied Berserker. *evil laugh* :biggrin:

flappeercraft
2017-11-29, 06:02 PM
@Bartmanhomer, we might not agree with it IC, but OOC I don't really mind, especially since you were the reason the group formed to begin with.

This promises to be...a read.
Well here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543277-Holidays-in-Astroya)

Edit: Also before anyone freaks out about him going Frenzied berserker in a game with a big party, I have a couple contingency plans I can use by the time he reaches even a single level in Frenzied Berserker. (Ahem good luck breaking an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere with an axe)

Nifft
2017-11-29, 06:10 PM
Edit: Also before anyone freaks out about him going Frenzied berserker in a game with a big party, I have a couple contingency plans I can use by the time he reaches even a single level in Frenzied Berserker. (Ahem good luck breaking an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere with an axe)

Ave Berserker, morituri te salutant.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-29, 06:13 PM
@Bartmanhomer, we might not agree with it IC, but OOC I don't really mind, especially since you were the reason the group formed to begin with.

Well here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543277-Holidays-in-Astroya)

Yeah I believe that my alignment will definitely shift from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral then Chaotic Evil.

flappeercraft
2017-11-29, 07:06 PM
There is no reason why that PrC would change your alignment, especially not if it's because you literally cannot control yourself, even more so if you IC ask us to keep you in line when you are uncontrolled.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-29, 07:12 PM
There is no reason why that PrC would change your alignment, especially not if it's because you literally cannot control yourself, even more so if you IC ask us to keep you in line when you are uncontrolled.

Oh really? So you wouldn't get upset if I slaughter you? Because I would feel so ashamed and guilty if I did. :frown:

PaucaTerrorem
2017-11-29, 09:35 PM
Keep a Wand of Calm Emotions ready and willingly fail your save.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-29, 09:42 PM
Ave Berserker, morituri te salutant.

What does that mean in English?

Marlowe
2017-11-30, 05:00 AM
"Hail Berserker, we who are about to die salute you."

Incidentally; the "Here....we....go!" thing? It was from The Dark Knight.

Incidentally, those sworn to deal with the mighty BartmanHomer, It's probably only polite to let you know what you're in for. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511596-The-Black-Shingle-Fiasco)

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-30, 09:04 PM
I know I got it all planned out Barbarian/Ranger/Frenzied Berserker.

Captn_Flounder
2017-11-30, 09:58 PM
What do you get from Ranger? Barbarian2/Fighter4 will get you 3 extra feats and fighter gets d10 hp over rangers d8, or else you would use all your feats just qualifying for Frenzied Berserker by level 7 and miss out on gems like shock trooper and leap attack until much, much later.

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-30, 10:00 PM
What do you get from Ranger? Barbarian2/Fighter4 will get you 3 extra feats and fighter gets d10 hp over rangers d8, or else you would use all your feats just qualifying for Frenzied Berserker by level 7 and miss out on gems like shock trooper and leap attack until much, much later.

I get favoured enemy bonus (Gnolls) which my character hates so much.

Captn_Flounder
2017-11-30, 10:14 PM
You don't need Favoured Enemy to be a hater. You could just instigate an "attack on sight" policy or just Roleplay your hatred. You are essentially making your character way, way weaker for a little bit of fluff that could be handled better without any resource investment.

Also you may want to use the Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian alternate class features for Pounce (full attack on a charge).

Bartmanhomer
2017-11-30, 10:16 PM
You don't need Favoured Enemy to be a hater. You could just instigate an "attack on sight" policy or just Roleplay your hatred. You are essentially making your character way, way weaker for a little bit of fluff that could be handled better without any resource investment.

Also you may want to use the Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian alternate class features for Pounce (full attack on a charge).

Ok I get now. Thank you. :smile:

Marlowe
2017-12-01, 01:36 AM
Just watch out for those Stealth Gnolls.:smalleek:

weckar
2017-12-01, 01:57 AM

You mean the grassy ones? They do tend to blend in quite well.

Captn_Flounder
2017-12-01, 02:01 AM
You mean the grassy ones? They do tend to blend in quite well.

Them and their damn Seeking Slings.

Marlowe
2017-12-01, 02:10 AM
I hear they're a common haunt for magic Bulettes.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-01, 02:36 PM

Thanks Marlowe. Seriously. :smile:

Marlowe
2017-12-01, 10:06 PM
Goodness, what a horrible bunch of people you are.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-01, 10:07 PM
Goodness, what a horrible bunch of people you are.

We're a dysfunctional party.