PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing a Rogue + Fighter for Chult

SociopathFriend
2017-11-23, 02:19 AM
We're gonna be starting the new Chult adventure soon and I'm looking into making a sort of, "Controlling the field" character who's very good at keeping the battle going where he wants it. This is mostly because it's one of the few ways I can be sure to keep some of the newer players safe and they're all running around trying to be mages- Sorcerer, Warlock, etc.

I'm starting as a lvl 1 Rogue Half-elf with 12 / 19 / 18 / 15 / 15 / 15 ability scores and intend to multiclass into Battlemaster Fighter in order to help do basically everything that isn't blasting something with magic or healing. Emphasis is going into Archery as I'm calling 50/50 odds that some of them are going to die anyways despite my efforts and they'll re-roll as front-liners.

Any tips on making a character good at keeping himself and others alive based on this idea? Had I known they were all going so squishy I would've picked a different class but I'm kinda locked into this plan unless I die.

Randomthom
2017-11-23, 02:56 AM
I'd suggest that an archer has very limited battlefield control or methods to keep others alive. Seems a very odd choice to help in that respect. If you really want to play an archer while providing some support a Ranger might be a better fit, bringing some utility with spells and/or a pet. The new Xanathar's Arcane Archer could also be an option.

Generally speaking though, archers just don't usually have enough tools to keep others safe (except by killing things faster).

Edit: Double-bonus for the Ranger, Chult has dinosaurs! Animal friendship ftw :)

Dalebert
2017-11-23, 08:48 AM
Agree with RandomThom that a ranged char is not going to fill that niche very well. Disagree that a ranger is the solution. Ranger is a flavor over mechanics choice (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and not really a solution to much. Dipping 3 levels of ranger isn't bad. A pet is going to die in the first combat; maybe not if you go with a giant owl.

Sounds like your party desperately needs a tank. More than one would be preferable but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Someone is going to get attacked and that person can usually hold something with the threat of opp attacks. We have a moon druid in our party who dipped barbarian and OMG is he tanky, while also having all that utility that a druid provides in a raging wilderness. I'm a monk of the long death with a 2 level moon druid dip; also fairly tanky but not as much so.

Heavy armor is mildly problematic in Chult. It's doable but arguably not realistic. You're not experiencing what your character is but he's miserable and prolly naked when he gets woken up in the middle of the night by assassin vines (OMG that sucked SO much). So a barbarian will always have an okay AC and ability to halve most damage.

Just some thoughts.

SociopathFriend
2017-11-23, 11:01 AM
I'd suggest that an archer has very limited battlefield control or methods to keep others alive. Seems a very odd choice to help in that respect. If you really want to play an archer while providing some support a Ranger might be a better fit, bringing some utility with spells and/or a pet. The new Xanathar's Arcane Archer could also be an option.

Generally speaking though, archers just don't usually have enough tools to keep others safe (except by killing things faster).

Edit: Double-bonus for the Ranger, Chult has dinosaurs! Animal friendship ftw :)

I may be using 'control' in a non-standard fashion. I mean manipulate where enemies are focused more than where they can go.
For example:
Sniping from behind a tree away from the party so the enemy starts focusing my direction and not them.
Leaving traps in an area off to the side so enemies that go that way will be slowed down/incapacitated.
And Battlemaster was gonna be focused on maneuvers that either moved enemies or allowed allies to break engagement without being attacked. Said maneuvers were ones that didn't specify needing melee-weapons.

The character himself is willing to ditch the party if things looks like they're going sour- which is one reason he's supposed to be based on Archery. Easier to get away from a battle like that. I also suspect on a more personal note that the DM will have a harder time countering someone doing this from range compared to right up in the fight.

The dinosaur-thing is indeed my most hype part of the campaign but I know for a fact it's also the DMs so I imagine we're going to obtain and raise dinosaurs regardless of class.

Relbin
2017-11-23, 04:57 PM
Ditching your party to run away alone into the jungles of Chult is borderline suicidal, not to mention how it will annoy the rest of the group but you do you.

If you want to stick to archery, the scout subclass from Xanathar’s is a good choice and you will be great at survival. Try and hire a guide who’s a strong melee combatant.

However, with your stats you could be a great front liner. Go swashbuckler with rapier and shield, grab the sentinel feat and riposte from battlemaster for multiple sneak attacks per turn.

SociopathFriend
2017-11-23, 06:33 PM
Ditching your party to run away alone into the jungles of Chult is borderline suicidal, not to mention how it will annoy the rest of the group but you do you.

If you want to stick to archery, the scout subclass from Xanathar’s is a good choice and you will be great at survival. Try and hire a guide who’s a strong melee combatant.

However, with your stats you could be a great front liner. Go swashbuckler with rapier and shield, grab the sentinel feat and riposte from battlemaster for multiple sneak attacks per turn.

The "ditching" in this case is akin to, "Okay, everyone's down and there's too many enemies, time to cut losses." I frankly know the DM won't penalize me for doing that in the case of everyone being dead he wants someone alive to keep the story on-track.
I had forgotten about the ability to hire people though, which kinda makes this moot.

I'm pretty happy with the stats. Last time I rolled I ended up with two 8's, a 10, a 12, a 13, and one 18. I was more than due for some luck for suffering that.