PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Druids - Neutral requirement?

violintides
2017-11-23, 08:13 AM
Ever since 3e, Druids have been required to be "Neutral" on one of the two axis: Good/Evil | Chaotic/Lawful

I know that they took away requirement for Paladins; but there's literally no mention of it that I could find in the Druids class section.

Does that mean it's some.... unspoken rule, still? Or is it taken out entirely because it's been abolished? I've been playing my Druid as Neutral on one of the two axis because I thought it was still a rule, until it was pointed out to me that it isn't anywhere listed in the class area. It only says this:
"
For druids, nature exists in a precarious balance. The four elements that make up a world—air, earth, fire, and water—must remain in equilibrium. If one element were to gain power over the others, the world could be destroyed, drawn into one of the elemental planes and broken apart into its component elements. Thus, druids oppose cults of Elemental Evil and others who promote one element to the exclusion of others. Druids are also concerned with the delicate ecological balance that sustains plant and animal life, and the need for civilized folk to live in harmony with nature, not in opposition to it.
"
This seems to say to me that unspoken rule of "better pick neutral as one of your two axis in choosing alignments" and I am just curious what the community thinks overall?

Dalebert
2017-11-23, 08:24 AM
Not a rule; a trend.

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 08:46 AM
5e Druids are not subjected to alignment restrictions, let alone alignment restrictions from a different game.

Druids still tend to be somewhat neutral due to their typical activities, but it's just a tendency. You could be a chaotic good Druid or a lawful evil Druid.

Also, there is no "alignment axis" in 5e.

2D8HP
2017-11-23, 09:16 AM
*ahem*

Druids serve only themselves and nature, they occasionally make human sacrifice, but on the other hand they aid the folk in agriculture and animal husbandry. Druids are, therefore, neutral — although slightly predisposed towards evil actions.

I'm going to repeat that in Bold:

"...Druids serve only themselves and nature, they occasionally make human sacrifice, but on the other hand they aid the folk in agriculture and animal husbandry. Druids are, therefore, neutral — although slightly predisposed towards evil actions."

From my humanist perspective I'd say Druids may be classed as "Neutral Evil" unless your an "ends justify the means" utilitarian.

Nature is beautiful and cruel.

Druids are Villians through and through.

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 09:30 AM
*ahem*

I'm going to repeat that in Bold:

"...Druids serve only themselves and nature, they occasionally make human sacrifice, but on the other hand they aid the folk in agriculture and animal husbandry. Druids are, therefore, neutral — although slightly predisposed towards evil actions."

From my humanist perspective I'd say Druids may be classed as "Neutral Evil" unless your an "ends justify the means" utilitarian.

Nature is beautiful and cruel.

Druids are Villians through and through.

That article was for a different game.

There might be evil nature cults in 5e that commit human sacrifices (and bee-related torture) in 5e, but it's because they're evil, not because they're Druids. The 5e norms for Druids don't include human sacrifices.

Millstone85
2017-11-23, 10:21 AM
Neutral (N) is the alignment of those who prefer to steer clear of moral questions and don't take sides, doing what seems best at the time. Lizardfolk, most druids, and many humans are neutral.So 5e is actually going the 2e way (as far as BG has taught me) that druids should be True Neutral, though 5e doesn't make it a hard rule.

And I think the focus of druidic balance on the Inner Planes might be meant to lessen the importance of maintaining balance between the Outer Planes.

Tanarii
2017-11-23, 10:28 AM
The 5e norms for Druids don't include human sacrifices.
More accurately they don't require that they include human sacrifice. Your mileage will vary depending on your DM's campaign setting and/or your personal decisions about your character.

For that matter, they don't require that your Druid isn't a typical city/urban character, like most Guild Artisans or Criminals. You can even make an Urchin Druid no problem. Because "hates civilization and destroys it when it encroaches on nature" isn't a required Druid attitude.

BTW just for funsies check out this Acolyte Background's Ideal: "1 Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld. (Lawful)"
Now I would have made that an Evil ideal. :smallamused: But lawful works, depending on what kind of "sacrifice" is involved. LG for personal sacrifice, LN for property/animal sacrifice, and LE for human sacrifice.

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 10:44 AM
So 5e is actually going the 2e way (as far as BG has taught me) that druids should be True Neutral, though 5e doesn't make it a hard rule.

And I think the focus of druidic balance on the Inner Planes might be meant to lessen the importance of maintaining balance between the Outer Planes.

It's not "Druids should be neutral" it's "most Druids are neutral". One states a rule, the second just expose a fact.

Same way that "most Protestants aren't vegan" doesn't mean "Protestants shouldn't be vegan."

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-23, 12:48 PM
Ever since 3e, Druids have been required to be "Neutral" on one of the two axis: Good/Evil | Chaotic/Lawful Ever since Druids came into D&D in Eldritch Wizardry, 1976, they have been built as neutral in alignment as the default. The class description in the PHB covers the thematic reasons for this edition very well. IIRC, the article 2d8HP cited was in reference to Druids as a monster in the Greyhawk supplement. Eldritch Wizardry did not become available until May of '76. The grid on page 5 of the SR article he cites had Druids squarely in the neutral "center of mass" box.

War_lord
2017-11-23, 03:19 PM
This isn't an OSR forum, it's 5e. And in 5e there's no requirement that a druid be neutral. This is consistent with 5e's treatment of character class as the character's skill set, not their entire identity.

Even the NPC Archdruid block in Volo's guide has "any alignment".

JNAProductions
2017-11-23, 04:06 PM
No requirement. Alignment is basically flavor text in 5E.

imanidiot
2017-11-23, 04:11 PM
Druids are Neutral the same way that goblins are Chaotic Evil. Most of them are, yours doesn't have to be.

violintides
2017-11-23, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I figured alignment was more just a suggestion of personality quirks or reactions to situations in 5e rather than something you actually have to hold firmly to.

I play Chaotic Neutral, somewhat selfish, preserving Nature/the balance, giving people a chance to redeem themselves if they are "evil by nature" (like Goblins), but my character's "job" is as a guide/map creator, it's how she makes monies to buy things like arrows, healing potions (she doesn't like using healing magic if she doesn't need to, again, not really "natural"), etc.,.

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 06:03 PM
Healing magic is natural

MeeposFire
2017-11-24, 12:23 AM

Thank goodness for that. I personally would not mind if it was sacred cow that would go away fully but that is probably hoping for too much. (of course not getting rid of your ability to play a character you see as good or evil just getting rid of actually choosing such a thing in game).

Naanomi
2017-11-24, 12:32 AM
Though not entirely... http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516989-When-Alignment-Matters-Mechanically

PeteNutButter
2017-11-24, 01:36 AM
Though not entirely... http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516989-When-Alignment-Matters-Mechanically

The big take away from this for players is don't be an evil cleric. Your spirit guardians will forever be resisted, against a LOT of foes. This comes up in AL as they allow for LE alignments (within certain factions).