PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep a tamed rust monster from rusting everything close to it?

TrT8r
2017-11-23, 09:36 AM
Ok, so I am trying to take a rust monster, but I need to figure out a way for it not to rust everything it gets near. Any ideas? I need this answered ASAP.

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 09:45 AM
Ok, so I am trying to take a rust monster, but I need to figure out a way for it not to rust everything it gets near. Any ideas? I need this answered ASAP.

Put thick leather bags of the appropriate shape around the appendages the Rust Monster uses to Rust things?

Gryndle
2017-11-23, 10:12 AM
train it the way you train a puppy not to eat your shoes, or a cat to use its box instead of wizzing on your shoes; get it young, use positive reinforcement and scolding or a rolled up scroll. just not one with explosive runes on it.

Tanarii
2017-11-23, 10:16 AM
Lots of wood and leather?

SirGraystone
2017-11-23, 11:36 AM
I'm curious on how it was tamed, Rust Monster is a monstosity not an animal.

Now about rusting stuff, the creature do this to feed, so keep feeding it some metal stuff so it's not hungry. Keep it in a wood box, train it only to eat what you give it to eat (which should take some time but could be hilarious). Covering its antenna could work, but not likely to work long, I would expect it to bite the leather to free its antenna.

If you want a pet rust monster to destroy enemies armor and not the group, that should take months of training. And you can expect it to for time to time to destroy the wrong armor too. In the end they make bad pet, and many npcs are likely to try to kill a rust monster on sight.

No brains
2017-11-23, 04:06 PM
I suppose if you poison the metal* that you don't want it to eat, it will learn that those metal objects will get it sick. Don't use something deadly like wyvern poison, but some vaguely unpleasant ingested poison.

*What the heck would poison even be to a monster that eats metal? I'm now imagining a rust monster happily lapping up a bowl of mercury with no problem whatsoever.

Slipperychicken
2017-11-23, 05:30 PM
Keep feeding some tasty metal so it isn't hungry all the time. Maybe get it a feed-bag. Train it to wear coverings to keep it from accidentally rusting things you don't want rusted.

Maybe you can put leather or cloth over your armor to keep the rust monster from going after it? Rust-Monster-Repellent maybe?

Kane0
2017-11-23, 05:34 PM
Leather bags/straps, metal treats and a lot of Animal Handling checks. It also helps if you get them while they're young.

TrT8r
2017-11-23, 07:12 PM
I'm curious on how it was tamed, Rust Monster is a monstosity not an animal.

I am currently taming one, but I got 2-3 Nat 20's, so I'll be ok. Also, it says in the monster manual that they can become companions or pets. Also, the one I am taming is (More or less) wild. Also, I am a warlock, so I can get the beast speech invocation.
On a side note, thanks for your answers!

Eradis
2017-11-23, 07:50 PM
train it the way you train a puppy not to eat your shoes, or a cat to use its box instead of wizzing on your shoes; get it young, use positive reinforcement and scolding or a rolled up scroll. just not one with explosive runes on it.

It made me laugh; I just wanted to let you know. Thank you for this.

rooster707
2017-11-23, 07:59 PM
Kill it, stuff it, mount it on the wall.

SirGraystone
2017-11-24, 01:45 AM
What the Monster Manual say exactly is: "If they are well treated and well fed, they can also become friendly companions or pets."

So treat it well, feed it well, and hope it won't get hungry for that paladin's plate armor :smallsmile: