PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Magus as a theurge?

NecroDancer
2017-11-23, 11:12 AM
It just occurred to me that the Ultimate Magus would be a great chassis for a theurge prestige class. Just change the prerequisites to:

Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.

Feats: Any metamagic feat.

Spellcasting: Able to cast 1st-level divine spells, able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells.

Arcane spell power remains can be switched to divine spell power at the start of the day. Expanded spell knowledge lets you add a divine spell you know to your arcane spell list.

Would these changes to the Ultimate Magus work? Have I finally found a way to make a usable theurge prestige class? Or have I missed something vital and messed up?

Elkad
2017-11-23, 02:51 PM
Is your intent to block dual 9ths?
If knock all the theurge classes down to one based off Magus, they can't hop PRCs and keep going.

And without shenanigans (at least one CL in lower class at a minimum), they lose out on 9ths on their primary class as well.

If you don't want to block 9ths, I think it's easier to just change the entry requirements on basically all the theurge classes. (And then ditch all the early entry cheese, even the mild stuff)

2nd level spells in one class, 1st in the other, 7 skillpoints in a couple relevant skills, maybe a relevant feat.

Then they would end up with 19/17 in prepared classes, or 19/16 in spontaneous.

zlefin
2017-11-23, 05:22 PM
I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to make a useable theurge PrC, there's been so much done in the past decades that they must exist around here for nearly any desired power level. just ask for what power level you wnat and i'm sure someone knows of or can trivially cobble together something.