PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Tiamat Question!

SMac8988
2017-11-23, 05:29 PM
Player in need of help without spoilers please!

My friends and I are getting towards the end portion of Horde of the Dragon Queen, and are getting straight into Rise as soon as we finish. I know that the story continues with the cult trying to rise their queen.

My DM has said that if we want we can change to new characters starting at level 10. Now most of the group has decided to stick with their same characters, but me and a friend felt that our current characters have flushed through their story well.

So we have decided to go in as a pair of previous allies, but now opposing dragon borns.

The short and skinny of the back story is, they both were raised in the service of the platinum lord bahumet. His playing a cleric and me a paladin. But my white dragon born was captured and tortured and when his prays to his father went unheard or answered, he slowly fell to Tiamat, becoming an oath breaker.

My question is, how can I play someone whom worships Tiamat. But still fights the cult and their goals?

I thought maybe like he is a pure blood believer, and see that the cult has humans and all it shows weakness and they will not allow a proper form to be made by Tiamat. But could use some help please!!!

Unoriginal
2017-11-23, 05:58 PM
Short answer is: for this adventure, you absolutely cannot.

The scheme the cult of Tiamat is working on is not something the goddess would tolerate to be disturbed by theological debates, infighting among the members, or a desire to make the cult pure or whatever by purging the human worshipers.

It's a direct order by Tiamat herself, and all her worshipers will obey it.

Not that Tiamat would like a cultist destroying whole groups devoted to her for no reason, anyway.

The only way a Tiamat worshiper would oppose Tiamat cult in Rise of Tiamat would be if said worshiper was totally insane and hallucinated constantly. And then Tiamat would punish them for all eternity after their death.

SMac8988
2017-11-23, 07:33 PM
I know the idea my friend and I were working at was a redemption story. That in the end, he finds his faith again in the platinum lord, and fights to stop her.

Would it be crazy to have my friends cleric bring him along with the ideology that he will reform. And my guy comes for his chance to assist is the rising of his mother?

Unoriginal
2017-11-24, 10:15 AM
For your guy to fight the cult, he has to have completed his redemption already.

Also I don't think you can get redemption as an Oathbreaker. At least, you don't get a new Oath.

Envyus
2017-11-24, 01:03 PM
You can get redemption as an oath breaker but it's not easy.

But yeah it does not make much sense for a Tiamat worshiper to fight the Cult of the Dragon. While the Cult of the Dragon has infighting among it's members to try and bolster their own power. Along with members that are not in to the whole Tiamat thing, none would openly fight the cult unless they were defecting.

Falcon X
2017-11-24, 04:26 PM
You could be someone who likes all the things that Tiamat embodies, but when faced with the reality of her coming into this world and ruling it, that is something you are opposed to.

In this case, your starting point would be the choice to reject Tiamat, but not all of her ideals. Any redemption story after this is realizing that those other ideals are pretty awful too.

Nicrosil
2017-11-24, 05:50 PM
Well, how integral is worshipping Tiamat to your character? If you just ("just") forsake your oath to Bahumat and go Oathbreaker with an eventual redemption to... Redemption, there's no real conflict of interest. If you do want to worship Tiamat, that's a bit trickier. Maybe you worship a different aspect of Tiamat? Maybe you worship her, but are against the cult/red wizards binding her like a common fiend? Maybe you're a double agent, secretly allied with the cult the entire time, but have a change of heart because Friendship? I say talk to your DM and see if there's a way to swing it.