PDA

View Full Version : Why would -XGTe archetype- go adventuring?

Skyblaze
2017-11-23, 08:13 PM
As the title says, why would a XGTe class archetype go adventuring? Or why would a XGTe archetype be working with a group of other people? Like a zealot barbarian, conquest paladin, whisper bard, etc. Looking for ideas for characters.

alchahest
2017-11-23, 08:54 PM
That really is more a matter of background/personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws than it is of class.

Skyblaze
2017-11-23, 09:00 PM
That really is more a matter of background/personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws than it is of class.

Well, I'd think it would be fun to have people with diverse ideas based on all of those against the class archetype

Legimus
2017-11-24, 02:53 PM
I've been coming up with a number of new characters using Xanathar's over the last few days. Some basic concepts:

Hexblade – The accursed sword gave him great power, but at a price: it is a sadistic weapon that thrives on combat, struggle, and death. To keep his power, the warlock has to continually seek out battle and bloodshed.
Zealot Barbarian – A fanatical dwarf whose god sent him a vision of a red dragon he must kill. He dreams of the dragon every night, and although he has no idea where it is, he believes he is on a crash course with destiny to fight it. He travels, looking for clues of its whereabouts and helping people along the way (his god is lawful good, so he likes helping the downtrodden).
Divine Soul Sorcerer – Her family were part of a cult that worshipped a phoenix god, who prophesized that one of their children would be born with the soul of a phoenix. When her power manifested, they thought she was their messiah, but she was terrified and ran. Now she is looking for the phoenix, hoping he can explain what she is.
Conquest Paladin – A knight from a fanatical order that believes the only way to bring peace to the world is through a kind of martial law. He travels like a knight-errant, but instead of simply helping the innocent and fighting evil, his mission is to purge chaos wherever he finds it and leave order. Violently.

These are just a few simple ideas, but I think that the new subclasses offer a lot in the way of interesting and dynamic storytelling. Most of them come with a lot of great flavor, and they aren't so constricting that you're locked into a particular type of story just because you want to play that subclass.

EDIT: Something I forgot to include is that when you're writing your character's backstory, consider what you want their relationship to the party to be. A lot of groups are deep and lasting friendships, but a lot of others are partnerships of convenience. Sometimes your backstory is going to be very impactful, and other times it isn't. For some characters, you may only be traveling with your current party because it's the best way to satisfy your long-term goals.

Unoriginal
2017-11-24, 02:58 PM
Cavalier: Your Lady gave you an important letter for her brother, who is a famous adventurer. Will you meet him on your travel, or will you be too late?

QuintonBeck
2017-11-24, 05:18 PM
Hexblade: When she was presented the peculiar artifact which so resembled the sword Demonbane, a prominent piece of her family crest and a relic of her ancestor's deeds she had been ecstatic. It would make a fine gift for her brother on his coming naming day. Then the whispers came. In her sleep she saw visions, hellscapes crawling with demonic beasts and her standing among them. She wielded the sword of her ancestor and with it dispatched demon upon demon and though the waves were unending she felt a sense of true and fulfilled purpose. The nightmares haunted her for she grew to yearn for them and life soon gave way to visions. The day of her brother's naming day a diabolic cult attacked and killed her brother before being stopped. Though inheritance fell to her she could not stomach remaining and resolved to take up her ancestor's mantle and seek her family's sword. She has little but the dreams and her wits to guide her as she travels these lands...

Possibility to go a madness route (she killed her family and fled, the demon invasion is a lie she tells herself) or the paladin-esque holding up the mantle of demon killing honor. Or both!

Celestial Warlock: He had been only six years old when his parents had told him to run as the men with fire came closer and closer. He barely remembered it now but the pain haunted him. The cold. The hunger. That's when She had found him. A goddess, though She said She was but a servant to a greater whole I could not believe it. She took me to Her realm, a mortal existing in paradise before his time. She raised me but She could not keep me. Not forever. She returned me to the world, having taught me much. I seek now to honor Her and make Her proud with my actions.

An angel sparing an innocent child seems like an easy route to make an orphan background that doesn't result in maximum edge. He's at peace with his parents dying, maybe he even got to see them. He's here on earth as a mortal agent of the divine trying to do the right thing and guide others to do the same.

Coretex
2017-11-24, 05:32 PM
Xanathars guide has a huge section with tables of faults, inciting incidents, enemies, etc, to get your character out of the gate and onto the road.
I recommend it if you are having trouble, as another commenter said: class is different than character.
Xanathars also includes a section for each class containing class specific background stuff.