PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Emulating an Irish Hero (sort of)

Haydensan
2017-11-24, 05:28 AM
I am coming up to play in a new game and have recently become infatuated with the idea of using spears. The emphasis on the plurality.

I will admit this has come from watching Fate/Zero (again) recently and loving Diarmuid's (Lancer's) fighting style.

Really, I am trying to find a way to make either using dual spears or a spear and a javelin useful. Maybe not dual wielding all the time but making use of a versatile fighting style.

I'm picking up my copy of Xanathar's later today so hopefully there's some stuff in there that can help make this work. Any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated

Clone
2017-11-24, 08:40 AM
I am coming up to play in a new game and have recently become infatuated with the idea of using spears. The emphasis on the plurality.

I will admit this has come from watching Fate/Zero (again) recently and loving Diarmuid's (Lancer's) fighting style.

Really, I am trying to find a way to make either using dual spears or a spear and a javelin useful. Maybe not dual wielding all the time but making use of a versatile fighting style.

I'm picking up my copy of Xanathar's later today so hopefully there's some stuff in there that can help make this work. Any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated

Good and simple character to work with, as his shenanigans come from his magical spears mostly. Apart from them he's just a high level fighter.

I'd go fighter x/ monk 1 to use spears with dex, as he jumps around a lot (acrobatics) and doesn't wear heavy armour at all.
Pick up battlemaster for the maneuvers so you can riposte, sweep, disarm etc. Precision would be flavourful too, as it could mimic the armour-piercing effect of Gáe Dearg (I think, my Irish is rusty. The red one).

Alternativelly go Eldritch Knight so you can bonus action recall spears and so throw them if the situation calls for it.
Some spells to reflavour is cool too.
Go variant human because a spear in each needs the Dual-Wielder feat.
Make your fighting style TWF, have decent dex and wis and you're good to go.
Straight fighter is fine too, as you just wanna use spears rather try make Diarmuid himself. Heavy armour is great. Just pump strength in that case.
Other then that, its pretty simple, just hint at your DM that you want some fancy magic spears and you're laughing!

Haydensan
2017-11-24, 08:58 AM
I'd go fighter x/ monk 1 to use spears with dex, as he jumps around a lot (acrobatics) and doesn't wear heavy armour at all.

Thanks for the reply. So you reckon a pretty simple build would work nicely?

Is there anything i can from investing in more monk levels or am I investing for nothing at that point? i quite like the idea of going Dex for this over strength. Might grab the next level so I can patient defense a couple of times per short rest.

Clone
2017-11-24, 09:07 AM
Personally I wouldn't.
You don't get a whole lot which applies to what you're rolling with and by MVing too much you're delaying Extra Attack even further. An alternative would be taking a single level of fighter for TWF then go Kensei, you make your weapons magical in that case.

Another option (the one I'd probably go with) would be to just reflavour rapiers. Bigger hit die, still piercing damage, finesse so you can use armour with dex and only aesthetically looks different. You can't throw it as well, but depending on how you play it you mightn't want to. I'd go full fighter if that was the case.

napoleon_in_rag
2017-11-24, 09:54 AM
There is the spear mastery feat in UA.
(http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/dnd/ua-feats-v1.pdf)