PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Monk Multiclass for a PvP Battle Royale

Willowran
2017-11-24, 09:22 AM
Just thought I'd get some opinions.

I'll be participating in a PvP session in two weeks with a level 8 character, at least 5 levels of which are in shadow-monk.

The other PCs include two barbarians, a ranger, a warlock, a druid, and a sorcerer. All of us are playing with max-possible hitpoints, so I'll be rocking 72 hitpoints. The Druid has an effective health pool of 274 counting her beast shapes, and the barbarians are not far off considering their damage resistances, and both are capable of moving fast enough to catch up to me unless I shadowstep.

I am torn between taking all 8 levels in monk for increased movement and advantages on saving throws (vs the sorcerer's fireballs) as well as a feat, or taking two levels in warlock for devil's sight, or taking two levels in Rogue for the bonus action disengage/hide/dash and increased stealth proficiency, or taking two levels in barbarian for the increased effective health pool via rage. As I spend far more time DMing than actually playing as a PC, I thought I'd ask the larger community for opinions. Also I just like thse kinds of conversations

Dalebert
2017-11-24, 11:25 AM
Do you know what the lighting conditions will be? Because that should affect your decision about a warlock. If you have to cast Darkness due to bright light, you will only be shadow-stepping 15 ft.

Willowran
2017-11-24, 11:29 AM
Do you know what the lighting conditions will be? Because that should affect your decision about a warlock. If you have to cast Darkness due to bright light, you will only be shadow-stepping 15 ft.

The map is split into four quadrants. One is bright light, two are dim light, one is darkness.

Also if I went warlock I was thinking less for shadowstepping great distance, more for the ability to FIGHT in the darkness. I could get perma-advantage on my attacks, and force perma-disadvantage for my opponents.

At the moment I am thinking of using that strat, or taking the rogue dip and kiting my opponents with a shortbow all game, or using the darkness/dim light to hide.

LordNibbler
2017-11-24, 12:44 PM
You don't need any Rogue if you have the Mobility feat. You get a free disengage from anyone you attack. You can take 1 level if you want Expertise in stealth. Or you can beer boots of elvenkind to get advantage on stealth checks.

mer.c
2017-11-24, 01:33 PM
You don't need any Rogue if you have the Mobility feat. You get a free disengage from anyone you attack. You can take 1 level if you want Expertise in stealth. Or you can beer boots of elvenkind to get advantage on stealth checks.

It seems like the beer boots of elvenkind should give disadvantage on stealth, if anything, due to all the stumbling and rambling.

Dalebert
2017-11-24, 01:48 PM
I thought the beer boots of elvenkind were just mugs shaped liked boots. Definitely moon elves came up with those. The sun elves find them juvenile and are very embarrassed of their existence.

Willowran
2017-11-24, 02:57 PM

True, actually. I'd have to go full monk to GET mobility feat, though (I rolled low for starting stats and needed the ABH at 4). As-is I get a free disengage with shadowstep whenever I am in dim light, too.

I was mainly considering the rogue dip for the ability to hide as a bonus action (making it harder for me to take damage between turns unless they find me, which would be extremely hard for them to do with rogue expertise and PassWithoutaTrace). I'm less worried about my ability to put out DPS, and more concerned with how squishy I am by comparison to the others. I need to SURVIVE long enough if I want a chance to win.

Was thinking of Rogue hiding (with bonus action, so I can still DPS) or staying in permanent darkness (Warlock) for the defensiveness that they might provide?

LordNibbler
2017-11-24, 08:14 PM
It seems like the beer boots of elvenkind should give disadvantage on stealth, if anything, due to all the stumbling and rambling.
I seem to recall Legolas doing rather well in a drinking competition.

Jethro
2017-11-24, 09:15 PM
The way I see it you have two good options:

1) two levels of warlock for the darkness/devilsight combo as you said...that can be HUGE if you have to really wade into battle. Also, it allows for free disengage due to no line of sight (I'm pretty sure OA's require sight...). The downside is A) what you're losing in monk and B) weak concentration saves means it could drop.

2) straight monk. gives 2 more ki points (stunning strike will END any fight), evasion, stillness of mind, and an ASI. Seems like a lot to give up. No real downside.

I'd approach this as a question of your approach to the combat. Personally your best bet seems to be a strategy of attrition. Run in and attack and shadow step out. Shoot with a bow from range. Most importantly SAVE YOUR KI. Wait till most of the combatants have killed themselves, then jump in for flurry's and stuns. 1v1, you should win against any opponent. With this approach I'd go pure monk.

Also, if you do take a feat, Lucky is probably the best optionl

Provo
2017-11-24, 09:40 PM
Does the other Warlock have devils sight?

Do you have Xanathars guide?

The new gloomstalker ranger can give you permenant invisibility (without concentration) in the Dark quadrant. Then you can use your concentration on hunters mark or silence against all those casters. If nobody wants to follow you into the darkness, just pull out a bow.

Warlock (hexblade) can give you shield and a damage boost in addition to the normal Warlock benefits.

Straight monk will get you the best protection against spells. And I find it hard to imagine any melee characters catching a straight shadow monk.

I don't know how you are getting shadow step as-is. That is a lvl 6 ability.

Willowran
2017-11-24, 09:58 PM
Clarification: each contestant in the battle royale is taking the character they play in a campaign, and we are all being brought up to level 8. My campaign character is a level 5 shadow monk, meaning I get three levels to play around with.