PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spells of Space and Division - Spells adapted from superpowers

zeek0
2017-11-24, 01:49 PM
Here's some spells that I adapted from Worm (https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/), a quite impressive web serial centered on humans with superpowers. They should work well for gishes and other spellcasters.

Link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KCMP0MvzO0g5uPzAPpGMtB10MlJsyrHY)

Many of these spells are unorthodox - I'd greatly enjoy y'all's take on the balance.

LeonBH
2017-12-03, 08:40 AM
All of this seems like only fluff. What were your balance concerns?

zeek0
2017-12-03, 01:41 PM
The document has been reworked since I first posted, based on feedback I received elsewhere. But remaining concerns are with clockblock, dimension cube, or spatial binding, which might have some mechanical consequences which I don't presently foresee. Also, general feedback is quite welcome!

ImperatorV
2017-12-03, 11:31 PM
The document has been reworked since I first posted, based on feedback I received elsewhere. But remaining concerns are with clockblock, dimension cube, or spatial binding, which might have some mechanical consequences which I don't presently foresee. Also, general feedback is quite welcome!

I don't see the listed spells in this document? It's only two pages. I think we're seeing something different then you are.

zeek0
2017-12-04, 12:08 AM
I don't see the listed spells in this document? It's only two pages. I think we're seeing something different then you are.

Well, shoot - I linked to a different homebrew. I'll fix it momentarily, and I'll look forward to y'all's feedback!

LeonBH
2017-12-04, 02:05 AM
That makes more sense now.

zeek0
2017-12-04, 02:50 AM
That makes more sense now.

Any thoughts?

LeonBH
2017-12-04, 05:54 AM
Well, Ashen Double is really good for Gishes. I can see a Sorcadin, gish Sorlock, Bladesinger, or Pallock picking this up, casting with their bonus action, making two attacks with their action, and having the duplicate make an extra attack with their action. It synergizes with Haste well since it's not Concentration, which allows a gish to make up to four attacks per round.

And while the duplicate can't expend resources (no smiting), it will attack with the weapon you have, being an exact duplicate. So if the weapon has an extra effect on a hit, like the Mace of Smiting or Weapon of Wounding, this becomes really useful.

It also arguably benefits from previously-cast buffs. A smite spell cast from the previous round, a Hex/Hunter's Mark, Divine Favor, Bless, or any another melee weapon buff will carry over to the duplicate.

It's not very valuable as an escape spell since Misty Step is already available. I realize this is supposed to be an upgrade to Misty Step, but the core value of the spell is the getting away part. The duplicate appearing where you last left is just gravy, but isn't worth the extra bump in spell level IMO.

As such, it's not useful as an escape spell, but it's good as an attack spell.

Burnscar is a good utility. It's similar to Tree Stride though, which is a 5th level spell. And this spell even does damage on top of things. It just doesn't strike me as too efficient in terms of action economy. With Tree Stride, you will cast it when you're around trees. With Burnscar, you have to manually set up each fire. So it will take you two turns to get from one place to another, which is really costly for not much gain. It has an interesting flavor, but falls below the power curve, in my opinion.

I can't take Clockblock seriously due to its name. It seems like an upgrade of Hold Person, but I think a 3rd level Hold Person is stronger than this, and I'm not sure why it's limited to just Bards and Wizards.

I had a really hard time understanding what Dimension Cube does, and I'm not sure what its applications can be. Since it's an action to cast, you can't catch yourself with it like Feather Fall.

I haven't read through the other spells yet.