PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Running Temple of Elemental Evil (converted to 5e) as a one/two-shot

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-24, 01:57 PM
So my regular adult campaign is currently on hiatus due to (another) baby being born (this time it's a player's wife, not a different player, but that makes 2 since September).

I'm planning on running a one-shot/two-shot while we wait for the new daddy to be able to play again, and was considering running (part) of Temple of Elemental Evil. For those with more experience, what are the good parts of the modules (I have T1-4 as well as conversion guides for each of them) and if I'm not running T1, what levels should I start with for the others? Is there a recommended party size?

The group is reasonably experienced and there are 3 players. Should they each run 2 characters (for 6 PCs) or will 3 be enough?

I have about 3-4 hours per session.

lianightdemon
2017-11-24, 03:24 PM
erm the temple of elemental evil is in princes of the apocalypse
why not just use that

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-24, 03:25 PM
erm the temple of elemental evil is in princes of the apocalypse
why not just use that

Because I own the original, not PoA? And I want the classic version anyway?

Envyus
2017-11-24, 08:52 PM
If you ignore the actual temple. The Village of Hommlet and Moathouse with Lareth the Beautiful as the end boss works really well for your purpose.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-24, 10:04 PM
If you ignore the actual temple. The Village of Hommlet and Moathouse with Lareth the Beautiful as the end boss works really well for your purpose.

Thanks. I'm going to propose a choice between that (if they want low levels) or a straight up dungeon crawl through Undermountain (also converted from 2e, not the yawning portal book version). They'll be using different characters and the point is to have something quite different than my usual story/social heavy campaign.