PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for some creative ideas for character plot hooks

ArmyFreedom
2017-11-24, 04:18 PM
Any ideas welcome!! Id like some ideas that incorporate the characters backstory and some that don't.

Here are the classes/rough backstories.

Paladin. Backstory - was a soldier, their town/family was destroyed whilst they were away on duty. (i think i may let someone from their family survive that they find out at a much later date)

Ranger. Backstory - Wants to make a name for himself/ become rich and find true friends. Caught stealing, choose military over jail. military treated him poorly because of his hideous appearance, sent him to guard the swamp as a joke and he mistook Shrek for an orc and killed him. (its going to be a juicy/weird campaign i know lol)

Druid. Backstory - outlander. small clan was overprotective and she ran away for freedom and to find herself. wants revenge on people who have attacked her clan.

Rogue. But no backstory on him. I want to incorporate them into the thieves guild either willingly or by a blackmail/choice.

Fighter. No backstory.

Maybe a Cleric. not sure but no backstory on him either.

Please and thank you for any ideas!!!

Twizzly513
2017-11-24, 04:50 PM
Well, it's difficult to brainstorm specifics without knowing what you want out of the hook (e.g. get them to a place, get them to do something/hate someone), but I'll try to help!

Paladin. For the paladin, they might have some lead on the whereabouts of who attacked his town/family, or his god/dess may send him on a holy journey. Said holy journey could be against evil, to retrieve holy artifact, or they are being mysterious divine beings and simply want them to go out into the world for as of yet unknown reasons. Maybe their surviving family member blames them for screwing up and wants to (secretly and under the guise of another person) lure them somewhere to kill them because they think it was all the paladin's fault?

Ranger. Maybe Donkey wants revenge and spurs the character into action? It seems like allure of being on any adventure he is welcome or is likely to get a reward might draw him.

Druid. Like paladin - has discovered a lead on the people who attacked her clan. Mayhaps it was the same person tipping them both off :smalltongue: It could also possibly be that someone else has attacked her clan, enslaving it. Possibly a rival clan looking to expand? Or, y'know, just blame it on the drow.

Rogue. Got caught stealing - must do work. This could be brought on by the local mayor who puts off his execution, or by a wealthy benefactor who needs some errand done. Maybe an old partner-in-crime is blackmailing him to do something in a time of need or he threatens to get the both of them arrested. Maybe a rival thief has stolen all of his belongings, forcing him to desperation and turning to adventure. Maybe he turned to the thieves' guild to solve any of these problems?

Fighter. Race/background might be helpful for this one since it has no further details. He could have been a knight, and the nobility wants him to do something somewhere. Hard to say anything only knowing class, especially since fighter is one of the most diverse classes in the game.

Maybe a Cleric. Church/Divine being wants them to go to X and do Y. See paladin. Similar problem as the fighter.

I'll keep tabs on this, but I hope what I've given so far is helpful!

ArmyFreedom
2017-11-24, 04:59 PM
Thank you, Twizzly513. Yes, you did help and i really appreciate it and any other ideas you may have i would absolutely love to here them. Im a new DM you see so its hard for me to come up with quests/plot hooks and all that jazz. Like how the heck do i make a town, what are its customs, is there a government/king, what are NPCs views on them and of the town/war. ect. Its alot to take in. I do think i want to have a war maybe between beholders and dragons. think that would be interesting.

JellyPooga
2017-11-24, 05:57 PM
Rogue:

- Background: Noble (Knight). A fop and a dandy, this expert with a duelling blade and consumate ladies man (Expertise: Deception + Persuasion) is the son of a landed Knight. Due to...extentuating circumstances involving a young lady and a careless attitude toward money, the local Thieves Guild has had their hooks in this rakish lad for quite some time. As a result of his associations, his title means little to the gentry as a whole and even his own father is embarassed to be seen with his "black sheep" son. Nevertheless, he is of noble blood and it wouldn't do to have him totally cut off; to that end, his father has assigned him an elderly manservant, a stable boy and his personal blacksmiths apprentice (no-one he couldn't spare, but trusted, of course) as a retinue (and to keep him in line as best they can). The Thieves Guild have uses for a man with a Name.

- Background: Scholar. This erudite and upright young student first contacted The Guild to source certain...restricted texts he wished to study. When they came through for him, he was overjoyed that he could pursue his theories unencumbered by the stuffy traditions of his seniors at the university. When The Guild approached him with further materials of interest, he couldn't believe his luck and jumped at the opportunity to comtinue his relationship with them. Years later, he's been expelled from the school, disgraced in the eyes of his peers, his work deemed heretical by the church...and in significant debt to a bunch of rogues, cads and other undesirables. He has learned a thing or two about their world though; their secret language, how to pick a lock and even a bit of swordplay from a particularly friendly contact of his. What they'll ask of him to repay their favours? Who knows?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-24, 07:07 PM
If you don't have a rough idea in your head already (or do, but want something to compare against), and you're in possession of Xanathar's Guide to Everything.. There is a whole section on backstory. You could use that for inspiration on making plot hooks.

Twizzly513
2017-11-24, 10:31 PM
*snip*

Yeah, of course. DMing is a large and daunting task that takes a lot of time, effort, and error to get right. Nothing stares someone down like a blank page. If you have questions that are unrelated to this specific topic that I might be able to help with, feel free to PM me!