PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Let's use the rules of D&D against DMs!

Albert_Newton
2017-11-25, 03:53 AM
This is a new thread for anyone who wants to break D&D using Rules As Written, hereafter referred to by me as RAW.
Here is an example:
If you managed to get 3 strength, jumping would push you 1 foot into the earth! (jump height = 3 + str mod feet, 3 - 4 = -1!) And that's how to get to the centre of the earth without special equipment...
And here is how to kill the Tarrasque with a 5th level spell slot and someone who can cast "Acid Splash":

"Slimy Doom," one of the example Contagions, does this:
Slimy Doom: The creature begins to bleed uncontrollably. The creature has disadvantage on Constitution checks and Constitution saving throws. In addition, whenever the creature takes damage, it is stunned until the end of its next turn.
You put slimy doom on the tarrasque, and survive until you can deal damage to it. Then, it is stunned. When you are stunned:
•A stunned creature is incapacitated (can't take actions or reactions), can’t move, and can speak only falteringly.
•The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
•Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
You know what that means? Specifically, the automatic failing of dexterity saving throws? It means that, each round, you cast "Acid Splash" on the Tarrasque and each round it automatically fails the saving throw, so it is stunned again! AND, it also has disadvantage on the saving throws to end Slimy Doom (check above) and so you will probably have 7 days to kill a Tarrasque using acid splash and 1 contagion. And that's something worth bragging about.

Note Bene (note well in Elvish):
I am not responsible for the results of any rule-misusing actions taken as a result of this thread, unless those results are positive.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-25, 03:56 AM
This is a new thread for anyone who wants to break D&D using Rules As Written, hereafter referred to by me as RAW.
Here is an example:
If you managed to get 3 strength, jumping would push you 1 foot into the earth! (jump height = 3 + str mod feet, 3 - 4 = -1!) And that's how to get to the centre of the earth without special equipment...

How would you get a 10ft running start to follow the base jumping rules if you're buried in the ground?

Also, I wouldn't let you jump and embed yourself in the ceiling, and neither would I let you jump and embed yourself in the floor.

Unoriginal
2017-11-25, 04:02 AM
Trying to use the rules against the DM is like using a glass of water against an ocean.

Also, seriously, what's up with all those "break D&D 5e" threads that have been popping up? Breaking a game's way less fun than, you know playing it or building for it.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-25, 04:06 AM
Trying to use the rules against the DM is like using a glass of water against an ocean.

Also, seriously, what's up with all those "break D&D 5e" threads that have been popping up? Breaking a game's way less fun than, you know playing it or building for it.

I can only speak for myself and why I participate in these threads.

It's interesting and fun as a thought experiment, even if I would never do most of the "broken" builds in a real game.

Talamare
2017-11-25, 04:41 AM
Not a terrible way to kill a Tarrasque...

Altho...

It might not be that easy...

Contagion isn't automatic. First it requires a successful melee spell attack against AC25
Then it requires the Tarrasque to fail 3 saving throws before it does anything at all
Remember that these are con saving throws and the Tarrasque has +10 Con
Arguably he will also have advantage on these saving throws as well
As well as IF he fails them, he can just CHOOSE to succeed with them

Getting Contagion to actually activate on a Tarrasque is insanely difficult, but I feel you glossed over that detail

mailer_daemon
2017-11-25, 05:03 AM
I believe this is what's known as trolling.

Vaz
2017-11-25, 07:36 AM
I believe this is what's known as trolling.
You believe incorrectly.

The Twin spell metamagic for a sorcerer self disallows any sorcerer from twinning a spell. To be twinnable, it cannot target more than one creature, but as a twinned spell, it can target more than one creature.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-25, 07:51 AM

Because crafting such insane theories is fun, why else would I calculate the damage of falling at a constant 1g for a week? (20d6 in 3.5, about a billion d6 in Mongoose Traveller 1e)

That's it, some of us find it fun.

You believe incorrectly.

The Twin spell metamagic for a sorcerer self disallows any sorcerer from twinning a spell. To be twinnable, it cannot target more than one creature, but as a twinned spell, it can target more than one creature.

I think you're putting the egg before the hen here.

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-25, 11:58 AM
I am going to offer you a suggestion about what D&D's model is, as a game.
It's not a competition between the DM and the Players. The intended model of play is that the players try to overcome the challenges that the game world present to them, via exploration, social interaction, and combat. While the DM is in charge of the overall game world and the host of "unknowns" that confront the players, there is a lot of the world that is influenced by player choices and decision.
It's called a role playing game, as opposed to a game like chess which is competitive, or gin rummy.

And with that, I leave you to your musings on finding rule synergy/gaps/loopholes, which is a game in and of itself. (More or less "the game within the game" I think).

Falcon X
2017-11-25, 08:12 PM
Guys, address the topic of conversation. Don't hijack it ao you can preach your gaming philosophy.

A study of breaking the game doesn't necessarily mean a person wants to use the breaks. It means they want to have a good time thinking about the details of a game they care about.
The thought experience is the fun, not necessarily the implementation.